Is Fernandina Harbor still %^^ ed up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: From what I know the city is busy arguing and there's a mud mess and not much in the way of docks but the mooring balls are in service? Just wondered if there was anyone here with more info as we initially were planning on a stop there on our way back south in a couple of weeks. :confused:

Wifey B: From what I know the city is busy arguing and there's a mud mess and not much in the way of docks but the mooring balls are in service? Just wondered if there was anyone here with more info as we initially were planning on a stop there on our way back south in a couple of weeks. :confused:

The marina is still closed. In fact they are now discussing not opening it at all, but relocating the marina in its entirety somewhat north, where the silting would be less.

Regarding mooring balls. Boats were always able to anchor in the mooring field so long as they did not interfere with moored vessels. So you should be good to anchor in the field where scope works.

For the shrimp festival in May they were opening up a small dock space where people could be dropped off, but no tie-ups. The dock master office is still boarded up and the overall marina is behind yellow danger tape.

No fuel or services.

If it were me I would continue south to the Amelia Island Yacht Basin.

If it were me I would continue south to the Amelia Island Yacht Basin.

Wifey B: Thought about that although their depth is borderline. Thought about Tiger Point and Egan as options. Do you know how things are there?

We may just pass on this trip and spend more times somewhere else. :)

I do not. But if you don't need fuel, try calling Oyster Bay for a slip. I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

Wifey B: Thought about that although their depth is borderline. Thought about Tiger Point and Egan as options. Do you know how things are there?

We may just pass on this trip and spend more times somewhere else. :)

I went into the Yacht Basin a few years ago on an extremely low tide with a 3.5' draft plowing a mud trough. They may have dredged since.

I went into the Yacht Basin a few years ago on an extremely low tide with a 3.5' draft plowing a mud trough. They may have dredged since.

Wifey B: They've been dredging, but not sure they have it all. :)

How about Queen's Harbour, south of the WonderWood if you don't need fuel.

Wifey B: I think I know someone who lives there and based on him it must be a shady place. :rofl:

Queen's Harbour looks like a beautiful area and very interesting with your own lock and everything. Pretty much off the grid. Not even on AC. Tennis, Golf, Fitness. Might have to take you up on that one day. I would think that is a great place to live. :)

We've spent very little time around Jacksonville. We intend to take our RIB's down St. John's and play. :)

A lot of people are guessing here and they are guessing wrong.

We stayed there for two days a couple weeks ago. Here's the deal:

The long face dock is fenced off and unusable. Many of the inner slips are silted in and unusable. There are some "liveaboards" in the inner slips and if they wanted to move they would have to wait for high tide. The lounge has been taken over as the office. Heads and showers are still there but the laundry is gone.

There are several usable slips and they will rent them if they are appropriate for your boat. The key here is to call the marina (on the telephone) and see if they have a slip suitable for your boat on the day or days you want it.

I can't speak to what will happen to the marina in the future and I don't think anybody can reliably.

A lot of people are guessing here and they are guessing wrong.

We stayed there for two days a couple weeks ago. Here's the deal:

The long face dock is fenced off and unusable. Many of the inner slips are silted in and unusable. There are some "liveaboards" in the inner slips and if they wanted to move they would have to wait for high tide. The lounge has been taken over as the office. Heads and showers are still there but the laundry is gone.

There are several usable slips and they will rent them if they are appropriate for your boat. The key here is to call the marina (on the telephone) and see if they have a slip suitable for your boat on the day or days you want it.

I can't speak to what will happen to the marina in the future and I don't think anybody can reliably.

No one knows what will happen as it's not been decided.

We called and the answer for us is no to the dock, ok to the mooring field. Now, the situation changes regularly but no major work being done on the marina at the moment and it's been quite a while since Matthew.

That's sad. I hope it gets fixed up. Fernandina is my fave stop point for an offshore run from NC heading south. Tie up on the face dock, fuel up, catch a shower and walk across the tracks to a very eclectic downtown for nice grub and brew.

Did not realize Matthew stomped on the marina so badly.

Here

Attachments

• Florida 015.jpg
    Florida 015.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 133
And more

Attachments

• Florida 012.jpg
    Florida 012.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Florida 013.jpg
    Florida 013.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 143
Wifey B: Well, we don't have a pedal boat. :) We can easily get in with our RIB. Not going to try it with our boat though. :ermm:

You can see us on an inside T head. We enjoyed FB because we called ahead.

Those aren't pedal boats, they are little two person catamarans with about a 40 HP outboard on the back. Pretty weird.

Look carefully and you'll see the damage to the inside of the long face dock.

Are the moorings being maintained? Are they still charging for their use? This past spring we anchored there. Didn't know if we could trust a mooring.

Are the moorings being maintained? Are they still charging for their use? This past spring we anchored there. Didn't know if we could trust a mooring.

We were told yesterday that 12 moorings were usable.

. "Fernandina is my fave stop point for an offshore run from NC heading south. Tie up on the face dock, fuel up, catch a shower and walk across the tracks to a very eclectic downtown for nice grub and brew."'

Don't forget the wonderful smell of a paper mill usually 24/7.

We took the wife's new car up there for a ride and lunch yesterday. Was planning n walking down and getting the latest but the mother of all storms blew through and we had to hi-tail it back.

This is really too bad. We loved stopping here for a few days each direction of our travels.
IMG_0046.jpg

Back
Top Bottom