Main engine oil pressure high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluefish17

I have a Cummins qsb 5.9 425 hp single engine.
Normally the oil psi is 51-52. I'm on an overnight trip and noticed yesterday the oil psi was 66. No alarms or error indicators. Last changed oil and filter last fall at layup. Boat ran fine but is this something I should worry about and look into? I have a 4 he return trip today.
Thanks.

I have a Cummins qsb 5.9 425 hp single engine.

Normally the oil psi is 51-52. I'm on an overnight trip and noticed yesterday the oil psi was 66. No alarms or error indicators. Last changed oil and filter last fall at layup. Boat ran fine but is this something I should worry about and look into? I have a 4 he return trip today.

Thanks.

Could be the sender or the gauge. Have someone put a hand gauge directly on the engine to get true reading.

I had a gauge reading 15 psi high on my Cummins 370B. It was the sender

More likely a sensor issue than a problem with the actual lube oil system. Keep an eye on oil level and color and look in oil fill cap for any "milkshake" from water getting in oil. Check engine temp as if engine is subcooling, oil pressure will be higher.

Be more diligent in monitoring engine, but I would not cancel a trip.

Thanks all. Today for the return trip oil psi was back to 52 the whole way which is what it usually has been this spring and last summer. So probably a fluky sensor.

Back
Top Bottom