Fuel Line Replacement - easy question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JESSEDIVER49

Vessel Name
Good Vibrations
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 42
I have a 42 ft GB trawler and need to replace a fuel line on my starboard engine because of a slow, drip leak of fuel. This is an 80' long line from my Racor primary to the lift pump. It's a "Shields" fuel line and is 1/4" with female connections on both ends.
My question is: are these connection fittings "standard" or is there a fitting spec type I need to make before ordering a new fuel line?

Attachments

• IMG_0709[1].jpg
    IMG_0709[1].jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. J. Can't say for sure BUT some fittings with the "groove" in the nut part are reverse thread. Might want to check that. Doesn't seem likely but you never know.

If it's a lehman it might have British BSPP threads rather than NPT. They aren't compatible so check before ordering.

Looks like a crimped on female flare fitting. The notch mark typically means that the fitting is universal for either 45 deg flare which is what would typically be used in a fuel system, or a JIC37 which would normally be used for hydraulics. In most sizes the threads are different between Jic 37 and flare so they can't be mismatched. But in 1/4" and 1/2" the threads are the same and you need to be real sure which fittings you are using or you will get an unreliable seal. A number of manufacturers make "universal" female fittings in 1/4" and 1/2" to work with either male.

Ideally you would take the old hose to a hose shop and have a new one made to match. They can positively identify what it is. You could also disconnect the end in the picture and carefully measure the male face angle. 45 for flare, amd 37 for JIC. But I'll warn you, it can be real hard to tell the difference. You could also remove that adapter and take that to the shop. That might be the easiest.

Most truck parts and diesel shops can make new hoses to match. I'd take it into a nearby shop, like TT advises.

Look for a number on the fitting. It is a number 6 or 8. A good hose shop can tell from the photo if it is 37 or 45 degree by the cut marks in the nut. A number 6 is 1/4" 8= 3/8" and so on.

Dang, when I read 80'!!!

Look for a number on the fitting. It is a number 6 or 8. A good hose shop can tell from the photo if it is 37 or 45 degree by the cut marks in the nut. A number 6 is 1/4" 8= 3/8" and so on.

Close, but:

3AN = 3/16" Tube Size (Nominal OD)
4AN = 1/4" (4/16")
6AN = 3/8" (6/16")
8AN = 1/2" (8/16")
Etc.

Close, but:

3AN = 3/16" Tube Size (Nominal OD)
4AN = 1/4" (4/16")
6AN = 3/8" (6/16")
8AN = 1/2" (8/16")
Etc.

Right. The numbering system is based on 1/16". So #4 is 4/16", or 1/4". #8 is 8/16" or 1/2". etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom