Puget sound itinerary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garylac

Vessel Name
Gratitude
Vessel Make
American Tug 435
Greetings all,
We are new to trawler forum. We are at the end of our first year of a three year plan to figure out what the trawler lifestyle is all about. This past year, we have read all we could including a couple of accounts of the great loop and big U experiences, attended trawlerfest in Stuart FL, subscribed and read passagemaker magazine and will cap off year one with a one week rental . (Instructional with a captain) of a Selene 47 in the San Juan Islands in the Puget sound. We would welcome any tips for a 7 day itinerary beginning and ending in anacortes. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may Have.
Gary LaChance

Gary, be careful because once you've boated in the PNW and especially in the San Juans, you may not want to head back east.

If you do a search on here you'll find several threads where this same topic has been discussed. Plenty of reading on here to while away the days until your charter starts.

Gary, Welcome, and GFC is right, you'll have a tough time leaving on the 7th day!

One small tip for a big boat is Washington State Marine park mooring buoys are limited to boats 45 feet and under, so you may get more anchoring practice in such locations.

Anchor or dock, you'll have a great I've here!

By NW, I assume you mean Vancouver island? I've got that penned in but not sure which harbor.

By NW, I assume you mean Vancouver island? I've got that penned in but not sure which harbor.

I assume he means the Gulf Islands. Great cruising but you have limited time so I would stay in the US San Juans. You are already contrained by visiting your friends (not a bad thing) and you want to get some marina and anchoring experience as well. Going into BS would necessitate a customs stop both going and coming. That adds some delay to your trip.

Come back other times and explore the Canadian Gulf Islands, the Sunshine Coast, Desolation Sound etc....

Sucia Island is fantastic. There are five bays and four have good anchorage. We prefer Shallow Bay for the sunset view.

Jones Island has a great hike but the north anchorage can be crowded. Garrison Bay is great to explore and learn about the famous Pig War. Stuart Island is also a great place to hike with plenty of good anchorage on north or south side. North side is quieter.

We prefer the community of Friday Harbor more than Roache Harbor which is mostly a resort. Deer Harbor is also a nice marina but there isn't much to see or do within walking distance. However they have a nice pool and kayak tours.

You can't go wrong!

What dates will you be in and around the island. We are late getting on the San Juan water this year. Starting a few next week and for the rest of the summer we will be spending quite a bit of time there, so if you see or hear Pagoo say hello.

Fred P.............

I have to give a shout out to the cruising in the Gulf of Mexico! Numerous little towns, good marinas, south of I-10 and always warm!

What dates will you be in and around the island. We are late getting on the San Juan water this year. Starting a few next week and for the rest of the summer we will be spending quite a bit of time there, so if you see or hear Pagoo say hello.

Fred P.............
We'll be there the week of August 12. Still working on the itinerary. We'll watch out for pagoo. What type of boat is she? We'll have in a Selene named alyeska

Pagoo is a 30 foot Campion

Agree with Waterford: Sucia is great. Especially if you have limited time you're sure to find a spot (even in July) and enjoy some quality "island time"... We made video cruising guides to each of Sucia's six bays/coves for WA State Parks (and all the others in the San Juans) but here's the overview video for the island:

https://youtu.be/YT5Bd_WnjeU

Last edited:
We just returned last night from a week long bare boat charter. Left and returned from Bellingham. THis was our second charter in the PCNW.

I would agree with everything said above. The islands are glorious.

This past trip we went south to Seattle for one night, mainly out of curiosity. Was nice, but two long days cruising (at 20knots). Been there done that.

The rest of the trip we spent in the Islands. Yes to Sucia - we spent nights in a couple of different bays. Shallow bay was our favorite.

Couple of notes based on last year and this years trip.

We like Friday Harbor - not so wild about Roche harbor.

Rosario - ok but not a repeater for us.

Jones is very nice.

Victoria has multiple marina's, all under single control. Our preference is the Marina that is directly in front of the Empress hotel. When you call to make reservations - you can specify then. Don't have the name handy, but can look it up if it would help.

THere is something special about cruising in that area. Winding between the islands and seeing Mt. Baker in the distance covered with snow.

I would think north and west of where you are picking up the boat.

Mark

Thank you for sharing that video. Sucia is definitely on our itinerary. Nearly done laying out the trip using a combination everyone's suggestions coupled with a few hours nose in to my cruising guide and navionics.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments. Here's the long and short of what we have come up with.

Sunday... anacortes to Spencer spit via swinmish canal and laConnor and deception pass.

Monday Spencer spit to Stewart island

Tuesday Stewart island to Sucia, stopping to pick up friends on orcas, return to orcas end of day to overnight on their mooring buoy and drop them off.

Wednesday orcas to Victoria.

Thursday Victoria to Sidney (night market)

Friday Sidney to Friday Harbor.

Saturday Friday Harbor to Anacortes.

That is a good loop. You can not see it all in a week. If Spencer spit has to many rollers move to mud bay or maybe Blind Bay.

Fred P.................

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments. Here's the long and short of what we have come up with.

Sunday... anacortes to Spencer spit via swinmish canal and laConnor and deception pass.

The Swinomish Channel is an interesting trip. One issue to consider is that the trip through the Swinomish can be sensitive to tide and current. As a newb to the Swinnomish Channel, I would want to transit it at a high, rather than low tide. Currents and tides can be a bit if a guess due to the influence of river flows. But you can find references for tides and currents. In general, it is my understanding that current flows North before and after high tide and flows South before and after low tide. If I was going South, I would prefer to time it so that I would hit La Conner around high slack.

I would not transit it at low tide. Easy to do with local knowledge, but I don't have that local knowledge.

While considering current and tides is desirable for the Swinnomish, it is critical for exiting Deception Pass. Do it at slack water. The problem comes in timing. Start with the slack water for Deception Pass and then work backwards to when you will be transiting the Swinnomish. It is about 21 nm from Anacortes to Deception pass via the Swinnomish. Figure out your cruising speed (remember to factor in the no wake area through La Conner as well as any current in the channel) to time Deception Pass for slack water. Better to arrive early than late. La Conner is about 1/2 way along that route.

The Southern end of Rosario Strait can be rough if you cross it on an ebb tide with a brisk South wind. Another thing to consider.

I am not trying to discourage that route, but plan carefully. I think the Swinnomish is very cool, partly because it is unique in the Puget Sound. Deception Pass is beautiful and iconic. However, Annacortes to Spencer Spit across Rosario is much shorter with fewer tide and current issues. A rough guess is that the trip from Anacortes to Spencer spit via the Swinnomish would be about 35nm.

Monday Spencer spit to Stewart island

Very pretty spot. If the forecast has any significant North or South wind, pick with side of the spit to anchor accordingly.

I just recalled two things... The first is that you will have a charter captain on board. He/she will have a lot more experience/information than I. So you can ignore me and just follow their lead. The second is that you will be a Selene 47. You will likely be cruising around 9 knots which is a bit faster than my 7 knots, making that 35nm faster than what it would be for me.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I tested the link after I posted it and it seems works for me. The bridge will be closed in August Monday - Saturday during low tides for bridge work.

Fred,

I admit to being confused by the bridge closures. They say that it will be closed from +3.00 Ebb to +3.00 Flood. Frankly I don't understand what that is. That isn't referencing the current so it must reference the tides. Yet I can't correlate their closure time to tide times that I see for La Conner.

Anyone know?

Fred, Just an FYI... The link worked for you because it was your gmail account in the link It is similar to linking to a file that is on your local drive and not somewhere accessible to the internet. No one else has access to that link other than you. Everyone else receives the message: "We’re sorry, but your Gmail account is temporarily unavailable."

dhays, Thanks for the closure link. It was new to me and informative as I may be mooring in LaConner.

dhays, Thanks for the closure link. It was new to me and informative as I may be mooring in LaConner.

It was news to me as well until Fred posted it. Good to know as I may end up going North through the Swinomish again this summer.

I tested the link after I posted it and it seems works for me. The bridge will be closed in August Monday - Saturday during low tides for bridge work.
Good news for us because the day we are planning to do Swinomish is a Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom