I was aboard this boat today. Wow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
I can't speak for the asking price (less than the owner paid to build her), but this boat is just incredibly well done down to the most minute details. A real gem of a Downeast style yacht. Wish I were in this price league. Saw her several times as she was being built and afterwards. Owner has only used* her 50 hrs til he got too old and feeble to use her as well as getting a new woman who doesn't like boats. A real shame there as he is a real nice guy, was an avid yachtsman with a series of previous larger beautiful boats all named "Sea Toy" and a (now deceased) wife who loved boating as much as he. You have to see this boat to really appreciate the craftmanship. Overkill? Maybe.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in this boat other than being in madly in love with it.

"Sea Toy"

The price is rediculous.

Absolutely beautiful!* My kind of boat.

The boat is beautifully equipped and built and laid out but I find its exterior lines rather ugly for a lobsterboat-type design. Aesthetically the boat looks out of balance to me in terms of the cabin size and placement.* At first glance the photo of it underway looked to me like a home-built, backyard boat. Strictly from an exterior aesthetic point of view I'll take Carey's custom lobsterboat any day over "Sea Toy."

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 09:18:43 PM

Attachments

• happy destiny-012.jpg
    happy destiny-012.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 77
I could never be serious with a girlfriend who did not like that boat!

Besides the Admiral would not let me.* JohnP

Marin wrote:
The boat is beautifully equipped and built and laid out but I find its exterior lines rather ugly for a lobsterboat-type design. Aesthetically the boat looks out of balance to me in terms of the cabin size and placement.* At first glance the photo of it underway looked to me like a home-built, backyard boat. Strictly from an exterior aesthetic point of view I'll take Carey's custom lobsterboat any day over "Sea Toy.
The pictures are unfortunate and don't do her justice. They foreshorten her, if that's the term. In person, she has a lovely, long shear and low, balanced appearance.

Very pretty boat.* But, $900k!* Really?!* Could that be a typo?

BaltimoreLurker wrote:
*No typo. As I said, can't speak to the price.

dwhatty wrote:BaltimoreLurker wrote:
*No typo. As I said, can't speak to the price.

*A really well built, quality finished boat is not cheap.* Zimmerman, Atlantic/Campbell are two downeast style*boat finishers that come to mind.* Their boats are impeccable, but not cheap.* Notice that this boat is in Maine where such good work is appreciated.* It is definitely a finite market, but you will see them on the East coast.* They turn heads for sure.* Whn*Zimmerman added two feet to their 36' it lenghtened the shear and improved the lines.*

I see a lot of this type, or very similar, boats on the Chesapeake.* I've always called them, "Bay Boats" ...* just because.* Lots of crabbers and oyster-men.* I am coming around to really like the look and the apparent functionality of them.* I'm going to need to find a way to spend some time on one to get the feel.

BaltimoreLurker wrote:
I see a lot of this type, or very similar, boats on the Chesapeake.* I've always called them, "Bay Boats" ...* just because.* Lots of crabbers and oyster-men.* I am coming around to really like the look and the apparent functionality of them.* I'm going to need to find a way to spend some time on one to get the feel.
*Lurker, as you probably know the watermen on the Chesapeake prefer the Chesapeake deadrise hull.* It has a sharp entry to cut the nasty Chesapeake chop, fairly narrow for it's length for speed and carrying capacity and, fairly flat deadrise at the stern for speed and stability.* In appearance above the water line they resemble the lobster type boats.* On closer inspection they are quite different.* I love boats that were designed for the job they do.

I have a friend with a 35' Duffy true downeast hull It is finished nicely and will cruise economically at fifteen to sixteen knots with its four fifty horse Cummins

This boat has had loving and I do mean loving care.* Anyone interested, send me a PM for contact info.* It is available at a very attractive price.

dwhatty wrote:
I can't speak for the asking price (less than the owner paid to build her),

There is an old joke amoung yacht brokers to determine the price of a custom build.

*"To price a one-off, just take half off."

Moonstruck wrote:It has a sharp entry to cut the nasty Chesapeake chop, fairly narrow for it's length for speed and carrying capacity and, fairly flat deadrise at the stern for speed and stability.* In appearance above the water line they resemble the lobster type boats.* On closer inspection they are quite different.
*Don--- Just curious, not arguing.* But how does your description of the Chesapeake boat differ from the typical lobsterboat, a prime example of which is pictured below?

Attachments

• newboat1.jpg
    newboat1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 79
  • newboat3.jpg
    newboat3.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 61
Marin wrote:Moonstruck wrote:It has a sharp entry to cut the nasty Chesapeake chop, fairly narrow for it's length for speed and carrying capacity and, fairly flat deadrise at the stern for speed and stability.* In appearance above the water line they resemble the lobster type boats.* On closer inspection they are quite different.
*Don--- Just curious, not arguing.* But how does your description of the Chesapeake boat differ from the typical lobsterboat, a prime example of which is pictured below?

*Not taken as an argument, as I know that you are as interested in work boats as I am.* Here is a side picture of one.* Notice the very sharp entry warping to a knife edge hard chine.* They are somewhat narrowerthan the typical lobster style boat with a extra length to carry about a hundred crab pots stacked on deck.* The put big engines in them some gas some diesel, but they are very fast.* Those guys are great seamen on the Bay.* The vertical white stick beside the engine box on the starboard side is how they steer.* When working they control the boat from the rear.* They also do this when docking, and boy are they skillful around the dock.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 12:00:21 PM

Very interesting. This is the first time I've seen a picture of one out of the water. From the photo it appears they don't have nearly the keel of a lobsterboat. Are their cabins just a place to get out of the weather or do they incorporate any sort of berth, stove, etc. that one finds on most lobsterboats? Or are they primarily "day boats" and always return to port every night? And I assume it is this type of boat that is in the famous Tilghman Bay docking contest videos on YouTube.

Oh, and one other question....* Did their hulls evolve from the sail-powered fishing boats on the Chesapeake?* Skipjacks were they, or have I got that name wrong?

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 12:03:21 PM

Marin wrote:
Very interesting. This is the first time I've seen a picture of one out of the water. From the photo it appears they don't have nearly the keel of a lobsterboat. Are their cabins just a place to get out of the weather or do they incorporate any sort of berth, stove, etc. that one finds on most lobsterboats? Or are they primarily "day boats" and always return to port every night? And I assume it is this type of boat that is in the famous Tilghman Bay docking contest videos on YouTube.

Oh, and one other question....* Did their hulls evolve from the sail-powered fishing boats on the Chesapeake?* Skipjacks were they, or have I got that name wrong?

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 12:03:21 PM
*Chesapeake Skip Jack is the proper name.* Yes, they evolved from these sailing work boats.* There was also the Chesapeake Bay log canoe that you may want to google.* They are not the canoes that you might be used to.

They are primarily day boats returning to harbor every night.* Minimal accomodations in the bow.* There is a wheel house to give some shelter*from the weather.* The sharp entry gives little other room.* The big docking contest on the Bay is at Chrisfield.**You may want to search that on youtube.**They will impress you the way they swing around, back in, and lasso a piling as they go by.* The smike cloud is impressive also.

I love the Chesapeake Bay.* It was a big disappointment not getting there this year.* Maybe in a couple of years, we can get back.*

The Bay has*for the most part a soft forgiving bottom.* Although many spots are shallow, the robust keels of the granite rock*bottom areas are not needed, but a shallow draft is.** If you could see one of the deadrise boats from the rear, you would see how narrow they are for their length.

Moonstruck wrote:If you could see one of the deadrise boats from the rear, you would see how narrow they are for their length.
Yes, that's apparent in the YouTue docking contest videos.* Interesting that the boats, or at least the one in the video i postedt the link to, has a control station for the boat halfway back on the starboard side.* I suppose that's so the person driving the boat can also handle fishing gear.

I know very little about the Chesapeake and the little I do know of its history came from Mitchner's book "Chesapeake."** Don't know how accurate it was but as it was one of his earlier books he probably did most of the research himself as opposed to delegating almost the whole project to his staff as I've been told he did on later projects.

He made the bay and the life on and around it sound very intriguing although I'm sure that, like everywhere else today, what he wrote about is long gone.

Marin wrote:Moonstruck wrote:If you could see one of the deadrise boats from the rear, you would see how narrow they are for their length.
Yes, that's apparent in the YouTue docking contest videos.* Interesting that the boats, or at least the one in the video i postedt the link to, has a control station for the boat halfway back on the starboard side.* I suppose that's so the person driving the boat can also handle fishing gear.

I know very little about the Chesapeake and the little I do know of its history came from Mitchner's book "Chesapeake."** Don't know how accurate it was but as it was one of his earlier books he probably did most of the research himself as opposed to delegating almost the whole project to his staff as I've been told he did on later projects.

He made the bay and the life on and around it sound very intriguing although I'm sure that, like everywhere else today, what he wrote about is long gone.

*"Chesapeake" is one of my favorite books.* I've read it a few times, and he did do most of the research himself.* During the research he lived at St. Michaels for a couple of years.* He said that the crab cakes at the Robert Morris Inn in Oxford were the best on the Bay.* I think they still are.

He used an ingenious mechanism for his novel.* There is an sunken island at the Choptank River entrance from the Bay.* He used that island as the center of the story.* It chronicled the imagined family from about the 1600s to modern day times.* Of course in the end the Bay swallowed up the island, and the family is no more.* I recommend it to anyone interested in the Bay.

I'm glad to see that you are interested in the Bay.*

Marin wrote:

Great book, and fairly accurate. My company used to do a lot of work down at Patuxent River NAS in Southern MD.* I got to know, and still keep in touch with, some of the locals.** And, sure enough, there seems to be a handful of families that own everything down there.* Been in the family for generations.* That has started to change some over the past decade now that NAVAIR relocated there from Crystal City.* The place has exploded with development. When I drilled at Pax in the 70's and 80's there was nothing there but the base with one, 2 lane road access from the civilized world.* All that's changed now.

Moonstruck wrote:
I'm glad to see that you are interested in the Bay.*
Yeah, don't get me wrong from my other posts.* I'm interested in just about any location, particularly ones near or on the water.* And especially ones with a lot of history, or at least the kind of history I'm interested in, like the Chesapeake.*

It was annoying to be in Charleston several times last year but not have the time to go out to Ft. Sumpter.* All I could do was look at it from city waterfront.* From a little kid I've been interested in the Civil War (both sides), particularly the naval aspects. I built models of the Kearsarge and the Alabama and the Monitor and the Virgina and I have a whole shelf of coffee table picture books of Civil War photos and whatnot.

There is no place on this planet that I've been to yet that I would want to live other than where I am now.** Well, I don't like Seattle itself but it's in the right place.* And the plusses of Vancouver, BC make up for the minuses of Seattle.* But I do find lots of other places fascinating.* I'd like to see Ha Long Bay in Vietnam, for example, although I understand it's awfully touristy now.*

Of the 30-something countries I've been to and worked in so far, I'd have to say Malta was the most surprising and unexpected of them all.* Absolutely fascinating place.*

So while the ICW itself doesn't interest me as something I'd want to drive a boat on, some of the places it touches on are high on my list of things to experience, at least for a bit.* Like the Chesapeake and its watermen.

First shot, Ha Long Bay, second shot, Malta.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 02:30:48 PM

Attachments

• malta.jpg
    malta.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 59
  • ha long bay.jpg
    ha long bay.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 62
Marin wrote:
First shot, Ha Long Bay, second shot, Malta.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 02:30:48 PM
*Malta's strategic location has given it an interesting if somewhat mysterious history.* It is lovely with*great weather.* Sunshine abounds.

At college back in the 60s my final project in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean studies was to do a paper on how Malta could be an economically viable country.* The deep harbor and climate are probably its biggest assets along with its quaries.* Tourism makes up a large part of the economy.* I could do Malta.* Did you see the big eyes on the bows of the local boats?

Marin wrote:*From a little kid I've been interested in the Civil War (both sides), particularly the naval aspects. I built models of the Kearsarge and the Alabama and the Monitor and the Virgina and I have a whole shelf of coffee table picture books of Civil War photos and whatnot.
*Marin, I too am a Civil War buff, or as we call it in the South "the recent unpleasantnss".* I live within 1 block of where Sherman's and Grant's headquaters was near the waterfront in Chattanooga.* There was a house used as a Civil War hospital one block the other way as well as the site of jail that held Andrews Raiders when they were captured.* They were tried in Atlanta and hanged.* They were later brought back her for interment in National Cemetary.* Orchard Knob where Sherman and Grant directed the Battle of Missionary Ridge is near by.* Douglas Macathers father was awarded the Medal of Honor for disobeying orders and breaking through the Southern lines on the Ridge.* Bloody Chickamauga Battlefield was the first National BATTLEFIELD>

If you are this way< and want to see any of it stop by>* i have a carriage house apartment that is just for such occasion

Much history here* Sherman started his march to the sea from here.* My son, David, knows the history in detail.* To get back to boats, both sides used the rivers and rails to move troops.

Malta. I spent quite a few days there exploring around in 1967 when I and my ship were being treated for our wounds suffered in action. It is, indeed, a fascinating place reeking with history from the ancient to the modern. Recently (re)watched a History channel documentary on the most recent military siege of Malta in WWII. Talk about a people enduring a blitz!

Moonstruck wrote:*Marin, I too am a Civil War buff, or as we call it in the South "the recent unpleasantnss".*
I have relatives who have not gotten over the Civil War.* They call it, "The War of Northern Aggression"

dwhatty wrote:
Malta. I spent quite a few days there exploring around in 1967 when I and my ship were being treated for our wounds suffered in action. It is, indeed, a fascinating place reeking with history from the ancient to the modern. Recently (re)watched a History channel documentary on the most recent military siege of Malta in WWII. Talk about a people enduring a blitz!
*David, it is not fair for you to reenter your hijacked thread.
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck wrote:dwhatty wrote:
*David, it is not fair for you to reenter your hijacked thread.
biggrin.gif

*I stand duly chastised.

Back
Top Bottom