Side Of Boat Staining From Flybridge Run Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
The water run off from the flybridge drips on the side wall of the salon and is staining the new paint. Is there some type of clear plastic sheeting that I can put on that will keep the paint from staining

The water run off from the flybridge drips on the side wall of the salon and is staining the new paint. Is there some type of clear plastic sheeting that I can put on that will keep the paint from staining

Wonder if any of the automotive films would work. In any case, I'd personally just ensure there was always a good sealant on the paint. That would make staining less likely.

I'm a huge fan of Ultima Paint Guard Plus. Wipe it on, walk away. Works great on the boat as long as it is applied on gelcoat that has no oxidization. So basically I'd buff the gelcoat with a polish, then apply Ultima. As long as you reapply once in a while, you should be good. I apply it to my car once every 6 months and it only takes 15 minutes since you don't have to wipe it off. Not sure how long it will last in the marine environment but I applied it to my boat's gray hull about 4 months ago and it still beads water.

Are you near trees that might be dropping leaves or pollen on your flybridge? Leaves can release tannin that will stain, For a temporary shield maybe tape up some clear plastic painters drop "cloth" It won't look good but might keep the water off.
Good luck, we are getting plenty of rain over here too!

I wouldn't put plastic against the new paint. If the paint is a two part poly, it needs to breath or it may blister. Talk to the paint manufacturer. They should be be able to guide you. Good luck.

Instead of trying to protect the paint I would first identify the source of the staining water and then solve the issue at the source like draining the water in a proper way.

L.

Instead of trying to protect the paint I would first identify the source of the staining water and then solve the issue at the source like draining the water in a proper way.

L.

Someone here had comments in another thread about taping some sort of channel on a fly bridge to get water to run a certain way versus straight down across an open doorway.

"J channel" used with vinyl siding on houses, available at Lowes or HD, cheap as dirt. I attach it with double sided HD scotch tape lasts a couple of years then chuck it and replace. In the picture it is being used to keep flybridge water off of the door opening it works fine, you can divert the water to the aft of the boat but eventually it will have to drop somewhere.

Attachments

• J channel on gumbo #2.JPG
    J channel on gumbo #2.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 59

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom