Our Cummins is sick.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
get the CPL and serial numbers off of the plate on the from left side of the engine. Call you cummins parts dept and they can look it up. Better yet see if they offer that online.

******** Without offending you, how can I confirm that, indeed, the 330B has a pston type lift

******** pump. Are you sure?

*Somewhere I have some pics of that. Yes, I had one, a 270 version which uses the same Bosch P 7100 series injection pump. Also every P pumped truck has one. Diaphram style doesn't support the flow required for the ponies.*

Hi all. Turns out it*the only fault was*a totally failed injector on #5cyl. They are the mechanical type so not very expensive ($88 C.)It had failed so badly it had allowed all the fuel in the line above the injector to bleed into the cyl.......all*the others were full.*Needless to say I've added*one to my on-board spares kit. I'll also dissasemble this one to see what failed.

The opportunity to watch the Cummins tech. work on my motor was priceless. He didn't mind being peppered with questions and had a wealth of knowledge about the 6BTA.......his favourite. learned about some things to watch* for, things he has seen fail in the past, and what to do to prevent it. I'll search the forum to make sure they haven't been covered already before I post.

So we're off to the Thousand Islands area Sat. morning, and the boat has a clean bill of health!

Hope you're all having a great season.

Nick

tachyon wrote:
Hi all. Turns out it*the only fault was*a totally failed injector on #5cyl. They are the mechanical type so not very expensive ($88 C.)It had failed so badly it had allowed all the fuel in the line above the injector to bleed into the cyl.......all*the others were full.*Needless to say I've added*one to my on-board spares kit. I'll also dissasemble this one to see what failed.

The opportunity to watch the Cummins tech. work on my motor was priceless. He didn't mind being peppered with questions and had a wealth of knowledge about the 6BTA.......his favourite. learned about some things to watch* for, things he has seen fail in the past, and what to do to prevent it. I'll search the forum to make sure they haven't been covered already before I post.

So we're off to the Thousand Islands area Sat. morning, and the boat has a clean bill of health!

Hope you're all having a great season.

Nick
*Nick,

Glad it was something simple.* Most of the times it is.

I'm glad the solution was not too complicated, tell me, did he locate the bad injector by loosening the individual injectors one at a time to locate the one that wasn't firing or some other means?
thanks Steve W.

He actually used two methods: when starting the engine from cold he took temp. readings of the exhaust flanges with a thermal gun.......the one slow to heat up was not firing. He then cracked each high pressure line in turn to confirm. The temp. method was bang-on......one of those nstruments is being added to the on-board toolkit, thats for sure.

Those thermo guns are useful,
Thanks for the info.
Steve W.

Back
Top Bottom