Oysters at Tomales Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Tomales Bay ...

img_3973_0_398fd4430947a7a1f108c0eda2b26b3b.jpg

... synonymous*with farm-raised oysters:

img_3973_1_4a8ce21b49cee1dcc74bd54a2bf5420d.jpg

(Hog Island Oyster Company, Marshall, CA, Aug. 5, 2011)

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 5th of August 2011 09:28:53 PM

Man....My wife could live in a farm like that....

Portuguese wrote:
Man....My wife could live in a farm like that....
*What is it about women and oysters? Bess goes at a plate of oysters like me scrambling for a front row seat at a strip club. :)

Going to Marshall for oysters was my GF's idea.* She has a 23-year-old memory of driving on Petaluma Hill Road approaching CA State Hwy 1 with her now-deceased husband and*smelling oysters cooking from*a half mile away.

There is an Oyster farm or two In Prince William Sound.

Interesting stuff Aquaculture.

Oysters don't reproduce in Alaska so they have to buy seed oysters.About the size of toyr little fingernail.

They do grow ok. Takes about 3 to 5 years for them to reach marketable size. Every year you have to re-seed.

The one on Perry Island is real remote. Raymond the fellow that runs the farm has been at it for 8 years. He is the only one living on the island full time. We swapped beer and cigaretts for oysters. He was out of both.

Talk about fresh. We pulled them out of the nets and started eating A little Trappies hot sauce and wow!! Man was that good.

SD

oh man we went into a place in Tomales Bay that looked like a run down conveinence store but they had a little restaurant at the side and of course had oysters on the menu.* We aren't in to swallowing slime balls (to each his own :smile:)so we ordered oysters rockefeller... YUM!!* best ever.

Ah yes, fond memories.* I made many a trip there to buy oysters.* We would often times have a party and BBQ hundred of the little guys.* Shuck them, add some butter and garlic, or BBQ sauce and ..........YUM!****************** Arctic Traveller

What type of Oysters are you talking about?

A.T. BBQ sauce? Strange combinations, reminds me when I was living in Holland, could never get used to the Dutch putting mayonaise all over chips(french fries). Still, I supose the rest of the world may not take to our taste for vegemite.

Back
Top Bottom