Anode/Shaft Linecutter all in one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's an interesting idea, but is it a solution that might not work when you need it?

I'm thinking that if I put line cutters on my shafts I want them to be there and in good working order if/when I need them.

If this sacrificial cutter starts to fade away to nothing as it does its sacrificial duty, who's to say that it will cut a line when you need it to?

Looks interesting, from the link:

By combining an extremely durable stainless steel disc line cutter to our already reliable MIL-SPEC anodes we were able to eliminate the difficult installations and constant maintenance headaches associated with traditional line-cutters.

:socool:

I'm thinking that if I put line cutters on my shafts I want them to be there and in good working order if/when I need them.

If this sacrificial cutter starts to fade away to nothing as it does its sacrificial duty, who's to say that it will cut a line when you need it to?

Doesn't cost much either. I have 21/4 shafts and each cutter is around $50. How much are the shark cutters, which you have to remove the shaft to install?

I saw those for sale.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of shaft sharks.

I hope this doesn't sound silly, but I am worried that if I buy a cheapo line cutter it won't work when I need it the most.

On the other hand...

If I wasn't going to buy the shaft shark, I'd probably buy these under the premis that something is better than nothing.

The shaft sharks are $550 each and install without removing anything. They clamp on in front of the prop hub.

Last edited:
Well, they're double the price of a typical shaft zinc, but on the other hand they get you a shaft cutter at a much lower price. Since they'll have to be replaced regularly, its like getting a "traditional" shaft cutter on the installment plan.

I do see one possible downside. Since the SS "cutter" is mounted to the "zinc", if the zinc was well worn the cutter could break free when it was put under load to cut a rope.

That said, shaft cutters like Shaft Sharks require no maintenance at all. Plus you can buy models of Shaft Sharks (or maybe a different brand) that are split so no shaft or prop removal required.

Ken

I've got one on now and will pull the boat in about 45 days to look at it and replace if necessary. It will have been on for 9 months when it comes out of the water so we will see. It was going to be a tight fit for a shaft line cutter on zinc without possibly interfering with water flow out of the cutlass bearing so I tried the combo to see how it worked.

Tom

I went ahead and ordered the shaft sharks from Defender today. $659 each. Went with the 5.8" dia ones.

Didn't want to be on their boat one day 70 miles from the nearest harbor, wishing I'd bought them when I was thinking about it.

Has anyone tried this. Sounds interesting. Wonder how well they work?

Sacrificial Anode Line Cutter Assembly Zinc | Sea Shield Marine

I don't see the "fixed" second cutter, that cuts with the shaft mounted cutter. I see that this design is similar to the "sharks" line cutter. We have the "Spurs" line cutter, which requires a haul-out for installation and also attached anodes. I cannot comment on which design is better.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I went ahead and ordered the shaft sharks from Defender today. $659 each. Went with the 5.8" dia ones.

Didn't want to be on their boat one day 70 miles from the nearest harbor, wishing I'd bought them when I was thinking about it.

so $1300 plus install. Do you have to pull your shafts or props to install?

"I've got one on now and will pull the boat in about 45 days to look at it and replace if necessary. It will have been on for 9 months when it comes out of the water so we will see. It was going to be a tight fit for a shaft line cutter on zinc without possibly interfering with water flow out of the cutlass bearing so I tried the combo to see how it worked."
I agree with Tom. For the reasons Tom stated I installed one a year ago and have traveled from Ct to the Bahamas and now in Fla. Have cut one line so I know it works. Checked it monthly in the Bahamas and it is still in fine shape.

Well its time to put something on and I think I'm going to try the SALCA.

Got a line round the port shaft a month ago near Jost Van Dyke (BVI's) With my shot 70 yr old lungs no chance of going overboard. So sent the 74 yr old crew. Took an hour of knives etc fastened to long poles etc to free the shaft. The cheap rope had also melted up into the bearing. Luckily it was near the end of our 3 month cruise.

There wil be cutters on before launching in October after the hurricane season.

I love them.
I've been using them for 3+ years.
From what I've been able to tell, they work as well as the $600 ones, maybe with less downside.

I thought I'd written about them before on TF.

I replace them once a year. The obvious benefit is that every year you get a new, sharp cutter.

The last time I pulled the boat, I had the renants of about 4 lines.
Who knew?

I must not understand the benefit of this one. Who would use this to replace the endcaps?

ZEP-B-3 Heat Exchanger Anode | Sea Shield Marine
ZEP-2-3-4-5-6-600x595.jpg

Well, you'd know right away when it needed replacing!:rofl:

That said, shaft cutters like Shaft Sharks require no maintenance at all. Plus you can buy models of Shaft Sharks (or maybe a different brand) that are split so no shaft or prop removal required.

Ken

+1. We put the split Sharks on 7 years ago and they are sharp as ever. And they really work!

I love them.
I've been using them for 3+ years.

The last time I pulled the boat, I had the renants of about 4 lines.
Who knew?

Dang, Richard! I figured the 42 and KK keel design would be pretty hard to lasso with anything. Maybe I should re-think these cutters.

Well, they're double the price of a typical shaft zinc, but on the other hand they get you a shaft cutter at a much lower price. Since they'll have to be replaced regularly, its like getting a "traditional" shaft cutter on the installment plan.

I do see one possible downside. Since the SS "cutter" is mounted to the "zinc", if the zinc was well worn the cutter could break free when it was put under load to cut a rope.

Ken

No underwater metals fit in the category of "no maintenance at all", I have seen all brands of cutters so buried in barnacles that they would be ineffective.

Dang, Richard! I figured the 42 and KK keel design would be pretty hard to lasso with anything. Maybe I should re-think these cutters.

You must not have read my first year's blog. New England and Maine was simply going from one lobster pot line to another.

The Kadey Krogen's full keel has saved my ass on numerous occasions, when I've gotten into less water than I needed.
(The paint was already off the bottom of the keel when we painted last year).

But that same keel guides lines right to the prop.

I'll take the former anytime.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom