Sundeck modification?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbyham

As I consider moving from my current motorsailer to a trawler I find the basic MT34 hits many of my "needs" except for one. I would so like to have a sundeck. I realize I could bump up a league and look for an MT or other brand that has a sundeck but I also have a question for this forum. Has anyone taken the trunk aft cabin of the MT34 and built a sundeck over top? It would seem fairly easy to remove handrail and then build up sides and deck from there. Some simple framing, plywood and then glassing would seem to be workable. Has this been done before? Thanks...

A good friend of mine with another MT34 aft cabin had a canvas shade built over his aft cabin. It went from one side to the other over the handrails and looked like a continuation of the main saloon roof but in canvas. It was slightly bowed in the middle and supported by flat slats. Rain would just drain overboard - wind didn't seem to get a hold of it. It went all the way back to the aft handrail. It made the entire aft section of his boat very civilized. I'm still envious.

Greetings,
I understood Mr. rb wanted to construct a structure to sit upon and catch some rays...

As I consider moving from my current motorsailer to a trawler I find the basic MT34 hits many of my "needs" except for one. I would so like to have a sundeck. I realize I could bump up a league and look for an MT or other brand that has a sundeck but I also have a question for this forum. Has anyone taken the trunk aft cabin of the MT34 and built a sundeck over top? It would seem fairly easy to remove handrail and then build up sides and deck from there. Some simple framing, plywood and then glassing would seem to be workable. Has this been done before? Thanks...

It can be done. I have seen it done on at least one boat, as we have the sedan version of that boat, so one notices these things. It was here out in Moreton Bay, Queensland, Australia, however, and I did not get a photo of it. Now I wish I had.

They had clearly stripped out the original cabin walls and deck surrounding, then rebuilt it so the aft cabin went right to the sides & stern of the hull, and then built a covered sundeck on top. They would have had to sacrificed the entire lazaret however, and it wouldn't be a cheap conversion. How deep are your pockets..?

I suggest saving a bit more and getting a purpose built 36 footer made that way would be the better option really.

Buy a 36 MT sundeck. It's much easier. Love mine!

RB

Coming from a sailboat you understand about windage and raising the CG. I'm with RT and Donna. Find a purpose designed and built boat and think about what you can do to lower the CG. Seaworthiness is important.

Thanks folks. Sorry to have dropped this thread. Frankly I keep dipping in and out of the trawler world. Problem is I so enjoy sailing and my current Bombay Pilothouse comes so close to my ideal hybrid trawler/sailer. But at just 31' she is small for long-term cruising and limited by having just the double in the v-berth. So I am back pondering again a dual cabin trawler. I agree that ideally purchasing an MT sundeck or even finding one of those rare Gulfstar MK II deals is the way to go. But I keep seeing the MT aft cabins and Gulfstar 36 MK Is for little money and I love to take on significant marine projects. So... I am still thinking and asking... Thanks again for the feedback here... Great online community...

I'm still in love with my 36' Marine Trader sundeck. Just got back from a month long trip to the Bahamas!

I would look for an existing sundeck. We have a 41' President that we love. Trying to make an add on sundeck work structurally would be a big challenge. You will be changing the center of gravity which depending on the boat may or may not be a problem. Changing a boat to a sundeck may ruin the resale value. I would not buy a homebuilt sundeck boat since I wouldn't know what skills the owner may have.

Back
Top Bottom