The ICW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
motion30 wrote:
I returned from s fl to the chesapeake last spring, anchored every nite only tied up for fuel
*Motion,

Truly one of the beauties of the ICW-----choice.* We like to anchor, but split our stops with anchoring and marinas.* There are just so many stops that we hate to miss.* It would be nice to have more mooring fields at the larger towns.* .* .* .* .* .* so many good places that we like to spend time.

Iwill give you that the ICW can be kind of boring in some parts.* What highway isn't.* It is a water highway that connects the East coast with a sheltered passage.

Just wondered* how many of you West coast guys and gals would like a sheltered highway/waterway along the Pacific coast to go from Canada to San Diego.

Moonstruck wrote:
Just wondered* how many of you West coast guys and gals would like a sheltered highway/waterway along the Pacific coast to go from Canada to San Diego.
*First of all, there's no point in going south of the Columbia River because below that there's nothing to do and nothing to see other than SFO bay and if you have a fast enough boat you can experience that in*a day (see, my predjudices are not limited to the east coast).

So we only have to deal with the Columbia River north.* Now the notion of a protected waterway connecting the Columbia to the south end of Puget Sound is a very*good one, I think.

But from Puget Sound on up into SE Alaska we already have a protected waterway.* Actually a whole bunch of them to pick from.* So no ditches needed north of Olympia.

Marin says "So no ditches needed north of Olympia."

Think big Marin. Would be nice to have "ditches" to Dutch Hbr or even Tokyo. We could at least go visit the Dude but then very few get as far as Thorne Bay as it is. And as to your bashing their ditch I'd probably love to go anchor on one of those Carolina ofshore islands and go kayaking about. Think of it Marin.........nice calm and warm water in the sun.
smile.gif

nomadwilly wrote:*Think of it Marin.........nice calm and warm water in the sun.
smile.gif
*The calm water part is fine, although we get plenty of that in the San Juan and Gulf Islands.* But the sun.... forget it.* I lived nearly 30 years in Hawaii.* I've had more than my quota of sun.* I don't need anymore (not that I don't enjoy the occasional sunny day here).

But if you've never been in the east and southeast in the summer, you are in for a major shock.* Temperatures over 100 and humidity in the thousands it seems like.* The only* place I've been to date that was more uncomfortable outside than the southeastern US has been Langkawi in Malaysia.* A lot of people really like hot, humid climates.* I'm not one of them.* Where you live is an ideal climate to me.* Nice in the summer and cold and snowy in the winter.* I love winter but never had one for the first half of my life.* I'm owed :)

Hahaha. I knew you were going to say that. I'm w you. It's pretty when the sun's out but I'd rather it not be. OK Marin when you get through mess'in around at Boeing come on up here.

Back
Top Bottom