Contract Signed / New Build Underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not one to debate others but I need to make a comment here. There "is" a big difference between the Helmsman hull and all other "coastal cruisers" and the difference is the Helmsman is a modified full displacement hull and not a traditional semi displacement hull. The simple proof is softer ride and maximum speed. Everyone knows the limit of a FD hull is related to its hull length. If our 38 was a true FD it would max out around 6knotts. A true semi displacement hull would reach speeds around 20 knots. The fact we cruise at 7-7.5knots and max out at 11 - 12 knots confirms the deviation or modification from FD is minimal and possibly one of the better balanced hull designs in the small coastal cruising market place. The boat doesn't try to compete with the large market semi displacement market of go fast trawlers and is a special boat for those who understand the benefits of a FD hull but want just a touch more speed (20%) while keeping great range (800 miles). Hope this clarifies my original response.

I get it, but he was asking about the NP45 specifically compared to the Helmsman. Using your own metric, the NP42/43 hull cruises at 7 knots at 2gph (not as efficient as you have gotten with your Helmsman). Max speed is 10-12 knots. Very, very similar.

nice surprise

Finally we had one of those unplanned and unexpected trips which started after work and intended to be a short one hour run just to keep the engine tuned. After a short stop at the pump out station we headed to the inlet and planned run outside but quickly realized it was 5:30pm and we didn't want to eat dinner too late so I told Mary we better turn around. With dinner on our mind Mary suggested we anchor out in our favorite cove near the SD Yacht Club and BBQ on the boat. We were the only boat there and the weather was a perfect70 degrees as we dropped anchor. While I was up top watching the BBQ a couple in a Boston Whaler kept circling the boat. We started talking and discovered they loved the styling of the boat so much they wanted to know more than I could answer in 5 minutes before dinner wad ready. After dinner we watched a little TV in the PH before pulling up the anchor and heading home. We arrived just as the sun was setting. It was our first sunset cruise and we enjoyed every minute. Sometimes the unplanned trips turn out to be the best.

Another Lesson Learned

So after a long two months the day arrived when the new Gig Harbor dingy was to arrive. I say "was" since day turned into early evening which was not a good omin. After guideing the driver who was trailing the boat from Washington to SD via cell phone to a small park with a beach near our marina he finally arrived at 7:30pm. The marine layer already moved in blocking out the sun resulting in less day light. I was pleasantly surprised to see the boat arrive on its own trailer and completely shrink wrap. She appeared to be in great condition and suffered no damage during the approximately 1,000 mile trip down highway 5.

While the shrink wrap was a great idea it turned out to be a daunting task removing it without any tools. We ended up using car keys and our hands to remove it. After a long 20-30 minutes we had enough removed that we could lift the boat off the trailer. The beach was about 30 yards plus another 20 yards to the water. I took the stern while the driver took the bow and we carried her to beach when I felt a sharp pain in my lower back. Ouch, this is not a good sign and things progressively got worse. After lowering the boat into the water I walked back to the car to pick up the our new 2.5 HP Yamaha and carried it to the boat. Installing it was easy as was tightening up the two threaded handles. So far so good but it now 8:00pm and getting darker. I started to doubt myself if I could make it home before total darkness. I wasted no time starting the engine and quickly headed home waving goodbye to the driver whom I didn't get to properly thank.

Within 5 minutes the engine died and I assumed it was out of gas since I knew the built in tank was very low. I grabbed the little portable tank and started to fill the small engine tank when a passerby stopped and asked if I needed assistance. I told them no but they hung around until I restarted the engine. As they left into near darkness I attempted to proceed around the rocks when the engine began to act up died. Countless attempts to restart her failed as the current pushed me towards the rocks.

Gotta run now but will continue tomorrow...

Attachments

• WP_20170628_005.jpg
    WP_20170628_005.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 83
So after a long two months the day arrived when the new Gig Harbor dingy was to arrive. I say "was" since day turned into early evening which was not a good omin. After guideing the driver who was trailing the boat from Washington to SD via cell phone to a small park with a beach near our marina he finally arrived at 7:30pm. The marine layer already moved in blocking out the sun resulting in less day light. I was pleasantly surprised to see the boat arrive on its own trailer and completely shrink wrap. She appeared to be in great condition and suffered no damage during the approximately 1,000 mile trip down highway 5.

While the shrink wrap was a great idea it turned out to be a daunting task removing it without any tools. We ended up using car keys and our hands to remove it. After a long 20-30 minutes we had enough removed that we could lift the boat off the trailer. The beach was about 30 yards plus another 20 yards to the water. I took the stern while the driver took the bow and we carried her to beach when I felt a sharp pain in my lower back. Ouch, this is not a good sign and things progressively got worse. After lowering the boat into the water I walked back to the car to pick up the our new 2.5 HP Yamaha and carried it to the boat. Installing it was easy as was tightening up the two threaded handles. So far so good but it now 8:00pm and getting darker. I started to doubt myself if I could make it home before total darkness. I wasted no time starting the engine and quickly headed home waving goodbye to the driver whom I didn't get to properly thank.

Within 5 minutes the engine died and I assumed it was out of gas since I knew the built in tank was very low. I grabbed the little portable tank and started to fill the small engine tank when a passerby stopped and asked if I needed assistance. I told them no but they hung around until I restarted the engine. As they left into near darkness I attempted to proceed around the rocks when the engine began to act up died. Countless attempts to restart her failed as the current pushed me towards the rocks.

Gotta run now but will continue tomorrow...

Greetings all. I've been quietly following along. Trawler dreaming and learning a lot. Hoping the rocks didn't end this thread?! Lol. Eagerly await hearing how this cliffhanger turns out.

Cheers,
Dave

Dingy

Greetings all. I've been quietly following along. Trawler dreaming and learning a lot. Hoping the rocks didn't end this thread?! Lol. Eagerly await hearing how this cliffhanger turns out.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave, thanks for your post. Now back to the adventure.

After numerous failed attempts to restart the engine I decided it was time to focus on plan "B". Problem was I didn't have a plan " B" since this was supposed to be a non-eventful late afternoon cruise with boaters around if I needed assistance. I had cell phones but no VHF radio which was my biggest mistake and something I knew better to have done. As the boat drifted quickly towards the rocks I thought I would unwrap the 7' oars and use them to stay clear until I realized the shrink wrap would prevent me from accomplishing this in time. All I could envision was my new boat awashed up on the rocks.

I immediately started to think the worst and double checked my life vest which I had been wearing the entire time. I figured if a wave hit me at the wrong time I would swim parrelle to the current towards the fuel dock about 20 yards away. I got lucky in that the water remained relatively calm and I was able to push off the rocks with my hands and the current started taking me away from the rocks once I reached jetty point. Within a couple of minutes I was within a few feet of the fuel dock. A little hand paddlein got me to the fuel dock and relative safety. Its strange how reaching something secure like the fuel dock brought a sense of security and safety.

It didn't long for me to realize that while I was relatively safe for the time being I was still stuck. The fuel dock was closed and the gate leading up to the parking lot was locked. All I could think was I might end up spending the night here.

More to follow....

Dingy Continued

OK, so here I am on the fuel dock at night all alone. At this point I figured it was time to call Mary at home and tell her what occurred. Needless to say she was not happy and angry the engine died. I told her I would try to get a tow and keep her posted. It was after 9:00pm and the temperature was starting to drop a little. Fortunatly I dressed warm and ad my NY Yankees sweat shirt on. As luck wouldn't have it my West Marine card which I carry all the time was in Marys car after a recent visit to the store. Without a phone number for Vessel Assist I called information only to receive a number that was not working. A second attempt yielded the same results. How could this happen I thought to myself as I stood on the fuel dock in total darkness.

My next thought was to call the Harbor Patrol and see if they would contact Vessel Assist. Again I reached out to information only to obtain their office number which I called only to realise they were closed. The recording said to leave a message which I did and thought to myself these guys are going to think this must be a joke. At this point I really started to think I might end up spending the night.

More to follow....

Wait, you have the oars in the boat with you. Why not unwrap them and row?

Dingy Continued

Where were we, OK on the fuel dock at night. After the call to harbor patrol failed I figured it was time to call our boating neighbor (Jim) and request help. Fortunately Jim picked up his cellphone and I immediately explained my situation. Jim told me to sit tight and he would call the towing company he uses with his business and send them out. If they couldn't assist he would leave the restaurant he was at, drive to the marina and jump into his Boston Whaler to tow me in. I gave Jim my new cell phone number to provide to the towing company and told him I would sit tight. No sooner did we hang up, my cell phone died leaving me again strandard without confirmation a tow would be arriving.

At this point I figured it was time to start looking for someone aboard their boat for the night despite being at the end of the marina where the smaller boats were docked. By now it was 9:30pm and very quiet. As I walked along the dock I couldn't find a single boat with lights on.

More to follow......

Sailor Blue would have resolved this dilemma long ago.:)

It was a Dark and Stormy Night.....

Wifey B: Sailor Blue would have never gotten into such a quagmire. Why do you think Sailor Blue chose not to go with him? :rofl:
You`re right, one smart puppy. Were she onboard, she`d have chewed through the plastic wrap to free the oars. Voila! Powered dinghy,safe human!

Can anyone provide a chart or google sat screenshot of where this saga is unfolding? I'm having trouble understanding why an able bodied person, in a dinghy at a marina fuel dock, with oars, needs to call a marine rescue service.

Reminds me of the Larry David sketch where he needed a knife to cut into the plastic package clamshell to get the knife out he needed to use.......

Can anyone provide a chart or google sat screenshot of where this saga is unfolding? I'm having trouble understanding why an able bodied person, in a dinghy at a marina fuel dock, with oars, needs to call a marine rescue service.

Wifey B: I got confused with calling the Harbor Patrol and Jim and the tow company and some because his tow service card was in his wife's car and wondered why he didn't just call his wife and have her drive to where he was by this point? Then the next morning he could bring his boat and retrieve his dinghy.

Well, he's given us another trailer and the story will continue I'm sure, but lot's of unanswered questions. Another is why he didn't unwrap the oars before starting. :confused:

Wifey B: I got confused with calling the Harbor Patrol and Jim and the tow company and some because his tow service card was in his wife's car and wondered why he didn't just call his wife and have her drive to where he was by this point? Then the next morning he could bring his boat and retrieve his dinghy.

Well, he's given us another trailer and the story will continue I'm sure, but lot's of unanswered questions. Another is why he didn't unwrap the oars before starting. :confused:

Because the ramp gate to the dock he was on is locked. So he can't get to shore (fully), and doesn't have a tender that works - or at least an engine that works.

But I agree, why not just break out the oars and row. You have plenty of time now.

Because the ramp gate to the dock he was on is locked. So he can't get to shore (fully), and doesn't have a tender that works - or at least an engine that works.

But I agree, why not just break out the oars and row. You have plenty of time now.

Wifey B: He could at least row to shore. I'm sure he'll finish the story and explain all in due time. He sure is dragging this out and getting his audience wanting more. He's turned it into a cliffhanger. :D

Hopefully John finishes his story before too much conjecture and analysis.

Google map "Harbor Island San Diego". It sounds like he set off from the small beach at the park called "Spanish Landing" located across the water to the north of the WEST end of Harbor island. The Fuel dock is located at the very west end of Harbor Island. While he then had access to the dock, he can not get to shore because your are required to key card access OUT as well as in.

Next... Where would he row to?! It is dark. Chilly. He needs to get around Harbor Island to the EAST end where his boat is. Rowing into the open bay and the 1.5 miles in dark and sometimes lumpy water in a 10'(?) open dingy is not an option.

Sounds to me like one of those situations where bad timing and needing to get somewhere causes us to end up in a pickle. Since most of us, if we are honest, have been there at some point in our life... I hope that A) John finishes the story; and B) we all learn or at least are mildly amused by the tale he is sharing.

In the mean time - I'll PM him my cell phone # and a standing offer to throw his new dingy onto the swim platform of my boat there at Harbor Island West. But since lightning seldom strikes twice...

:eek::D

Last edited:
Wifey B: You do all realize he's now drawing this out further just to torture us all. :popcorn:

My guess is a Navy helicopter, better managed than the Fitzgerald, will make an appearance next episode.
Wasn`t the author once a writer for "The Bold and the Beautiful"?

Dingy Continued

So after walking the docks for a few minutes without finding anyone aboard I started back towards the lonely fuel dock when I noticed car lights above the rocks. I walked towards the gang way and noticed a man heading towards the gate. I asked if he had a boat down here to which he responded "why did I want know". After explaining my situation he politely said he would assist me. We walked to his boat where he handed me his portable VHF radio. After a few failed attempts to reach Vessel Assist I heard the Coast Guard ask Vessel Assist if they were picking up my transmition. Within a minute I heard VA call me on the radio. We schanged channels and coordinated a tow. I was told it would be about 45 minutes until the board arrived which was fine with me.

After the tow boat arrived it was a relatively uneventful ride home. One thing I confirmed during the ride aboard the tow boat while watching the boat bouncing around behind us was that I made the right choice NOT rowing the boat home in total darkness in the stiff breeze and choppy bay.

After tieing up the boat and calling Mary around 11:00pm I fell into bed and started feeling the aches and pains. I couldn't sleep until I knew what happened to the new engine so I pulled out the owners manual and started reading. It didn't take long to figure out I failed to open the built in fuel tank air vent thus starved the engine of air. While this was comforting to learn the engine was fine it made me angry I messed up what should have been an enjoyable experience.

A few lessons learned included both positive and negative decisions which I'll expand on later.

John

Valid question except Mary was100 miles away at home and it was late at night. While the oars were available and I considered rowing home I'm glade I didn't attempt it after the rideome on VS. Between the weather, distance and my back I dont think I would have made it.

John

.....so I pulled out the owners manual and started reading. It didn't take long to figure out I failed to open the built in fuel tank air vent thus starved the engine of air. While this was comforting to learn the engine was fine it made me angry I messed up what should have been an enjoyable experience.
A few lessons learned included both positive and negative decisions which I'll expand on later.
John
Yep. Always read the manual first if possible, at least re basic operation. And always remember the air bleed valve on any sealed fuel container - which an intrgral tank is.

This was your giveaway clue...it restarted when you took the cap off...

I wasted no time starting the engine and quickly headed home waving goodbye to the driver whom I didn't get to properly thank.
Within 5 minutes the engine died and I assumed it was out of gas since I knew the built in tank was very low. I grabbed the little portable tank and started to fill the small engine tank...I restarted the engine.

Looks like you never mowed your own lawn John... :D

Last edited:
Valid question except Mary was100 miles away at home and it was late at night. While the oars were available and I considered rowing home I'm glade I didn't attempt it after the rideome on VS. Between the weather, distance and my back I dont think I would have made it.

John

Wifey B: I was thinking oars at the beginning, not so much after all the problems, except perhaps to where you could get to shore, not all the way home. On the other hand, I figured someone would eventually show up.

Glad you made it home and glad you found out the source of the problem.

Hope your back is better. :)

A few lessons learned included both positive and negative decisions

Been there, done that. Glad it worked out and even more glad that you have your new dinghy. I rowed around in mine yesterday afternoon with my brother in law and his two little kids. It was great fun. I had him take a turn at the oars and was surprised at how much trouble he had rowing well. I don't have a lot of experience rowing a boat and most of that was too long ago to remember but maybe it is like riding a bike...?

Dingy Continued

So after having the Gig Harbor a week now and running her a few times I can confirm the following:
1. I made right decision not to attempt to row her home. It was too rough, windy and long distance for my first ever row.
2. This boat moves very easy though the water. Just a hand push off the dock and boat glides forever
3. The 2.5hp Yamaha is almost too much power. She moves at just out of idle
4. The yacth finish is unbelievable
5. More than enough room for the three of us
6. A major attraction on the water. Everyone who sees it loves it

Can't wait to row the boat

Jaysus.

You can't make this stuff up.

...Can't wait to row the boat
Sounds like a great choice of dinghy.
Not sure why, but I enjoy rowing too. Learnt it as a kid, surfing in and rowing out of a beach with a modest surf, great fun,if you didn`t row well you got wet. Good exercise too,sometimes I ignore the motor on the transom and go for diy propulsion. Maybe it`s why I enjoy kayaking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom