City water connected to boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dswizzler

Vessel Name
Delta Swizzler
Vessel Make
1988 58' Vantare
Just moved aboard and I know I have a* witer inlet* line where I can connect the city water directly into the water system, not the water tank.My question is , when connected*do I still need my 12 volt water pump on, or does the presure from the dock line, provide enough presure to supply my water lines aboard the boat ?

I know it is a simple question and i just figured I'd ask here , before damanging something. I guess I could alway shut of the pump and just find out, but I'd rather ask the experts.

Thanks,

Dswizzler wrote:
Just moved aboard and I know I have a* witer inlet* line where I can connect the city water directly into the water system, not the water tank.My question is , when connected*do I still need my 12 volt water pump on, or does the presure from the dock line, provide enough presure to supply my water lines aboard the boat ?

I know it is a simple question and i just figured I'd ask here , before damanging something. I guess I could alway shut of the pump and just find out, but I'd rather ask the experts.

Thanks,

*No, the water pressure from the dock supply will do it.* Be very careful.* Turn off water when you leave the boat.* Better still install a water flow limiter between the dock and water siystem.* It will shut off after a set determined number of gallons has passed.* Many boats sink or have major damage from connecting to dock water.* I don't do it unless there is a pump failure, but I don't live aboard.

The city water pressure should be enough to pressure so the DC pump does not turn on.*
HOWEVER, I highly recommend that you do not connect directly to the city water because if a line should break/leak the bilge pumps may not be able to keep up, and if they due the water can cause damage.* Just this year our neighbor domestic line blew the bilge pumps quite, when they wake up in the morning the boat was bow down with about 2 ft of water in the bilge.

I fill the tanks and use the domestic pump.* In 14 years we have replace the pump 2 times. **I like the pump so I can hear if its running as it pressure ups.* I like filling the tanks as there is only 400 gallons that can be pumped into the bilge.*

I have this system in place on my Cheoy Lee 32 for many years and it works great.* I do use top quality hoses and gardena type of connections with larger seals to keep it tight.* The hose goes into the cockpit and the cockpit is self draining in case anything happens, water won't sink the boat
biggrin.gif
.* Inside the boat, for running the water in the kitchen sink, washer, shower and toilet are all running on fresh water 90% of the time I use copper piping.* There is a valve to switch from water tank to dock fresh water.* In the bathroom, the toilet has a three way valve to switch from fresh water to sal****er as you know if you use*salt water for electric toilets there is always a smell
bleh.gif
and with this system there is no smell at all
biggrin.gif

As a liveaboard, I use the shore water connection all the time. I had a Jabsco pressure regulator on-board, the one that is the entire fitting, but after having to replace a couple of them, I just installed a straight-through fitting on the boat, and use a pressure regulator on the dock side. I run it through a water a "timer" from Home Depot where you can set the # of gallons, so it will shut off after so many gallons. I still turn the faucet off when I'm off the boat.

No, you don't need to leave the pump on when you're hooked to shore water and it's pressurized. It won't do anything anyway, unless the pressure falls below the setpoint of the pump's pressure switch.

Also, at the first of each month, I turn off the shore water connection and use of all the FW in the tanks (50 gallons if I'm not cruising). I then refill them with fresh water and go back on shore water. This keeps the water in the tanks fresh.

Don't do this!

I had the regulator burst on mine a few years back; had I not been aboard we could have lost everything.

Just fill your tanks every now and then and use the pump, works every time.

Willy wrote:

I carry on board a honda fire pump. Its been used to dewater vessels that have been connected to city water. An endless stream can be created with the loss of a simple fitting.
*Not only do I use the pump at dockside, but along the same line I will not leave the air conditioning on if away for more than a few hours.* Hoses and pipes under pressure are not totally reliable.* I have had a small leak that dumped about 80 gal. of fresh water in the bilge.* Would have been much more, but the tanks went dry.* Using the pump, you know to check for a leak if the water runs out prematurely.

Fill the tank , let the boats system provide the water.

No accidental sinking , no turning off , with each dock trip,

AND it will keep you up on saving water should you go cruising.

If you are refilling the tank 2 or 3x a day , you might be having consumption problems.

FF wrote:
Fill the tank , let the boats system provide the water.
No accidental sinking , no turning off , with each dock trip,
******** :clap:

I think I'm the only guy on*liveabard row*that is not connected to city water.* I fill the tanks, 270 gals, every ten days or so, only once had to do this in the rain.* We use a Britta on the galley sink for all drinking water.* Simple system for a simple guy.

It's my little moment of zen to fill the tanks in 20 minutes or so and it gives me a time to chat with neighbors, watch the birds and vegitate.*

cheers

i like your style, Kevin.

"It's my little moment of zen to fill the tanks in 20 minutes or so"

The trick here is for a single point hose to fill ALL the tanks at once , and simply overflow on deck when full.

No pain should a cool one last a bit longer than planned.

Shore pressure water NOT RECOMMENDED!!
evileye.gif

Ive seen boats with systems that had what could have become severe leakage problems with dock pressure hook up, as well as hearing about some horror stories.* So... I never use dock pressure and am happy to always use the DC powered pressure pump off my boats water tanks when at dock, which is seldom because we love to cruise and hang on the hook!*
Well... heres what happened to me:**
confuse.gif

-********* I check everything in a boat before purchasing, and when I checked my current boats shore water hookup I fastened hose to boat and asked my son to turn on pressure.*
-********* Surprisingly I found no water pressure at any of the three taps.*
-********* I quickly yelled Troy shut it down somethings wrong.
-********* Upon popping open both hatches in salon to the engine compartment we saw a skim of water in the bilge centerline.* The bilge had been bone dry less than an hour before during our survey.
-********* Troy, turn her back on.
-********* I instantly heard and noticed a rush of water coming in from back of the water heater.
-********* Upon shutting down again, and contorting to close personal in back if heater I saw a hose completely disconnected and noticed no specific place to fasten it.*
-********* Troy turned it on again and water poured out the loose hose.
Long and short of it:* Previous owner (the original) was early 90s and had no recollection re shore water hook up, he used boat pump too another smart guy!* Because the water heater is relatively new, I figure the installer may be who left shore hose disconnected.*
no.gif

As a result Weve owned and made love to this boat for three years.* Upon purchase I completely/securely plugged and wrapped the shore bib on side of boats salon, with a BIG sign above NO WATER. *Weve been playing with our boat ever since... we get 5 days and nights coming next weekend, Labor Day.* Suffice it to say that although every needed item on our Tolly has been well accomplished, and shes a good running baby, and although I will eventually get to hooking up the whole shore water system and making sure its water tight... Its not top of my list!* Cruisen, hooken, tow-behind speed boaten, swimmen, diven, sunnnen, munchen, drinken, sleepen, relaxen, watchen videos Yeah, Thats The Life!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Reminds me.* The water remaining*in my tanks has been there for nearly three months.* I'd better*use the boat's freshwater deck outlets to do the next few boat washes and then refresh the tanks with "new" water.

img_58832_0_b98dfb17688aeff42c7bb9f791b748eb.jpg

markpierce wrote:
Reminds me.* The water remaining*in my tanks has been there for nearly three months.* I'd better*use the boat's freshwater deck outlets to do the next few boat washes and then refresh the tanks with "new" water.
Personally, I feel*tank water is for washen boat,*cleanen dishes, taken showers*and doen flushing... if so equipped.

For cooking and coffee*we always bring fresh filtered water from home and for drinking we either use home water or bottled.* I feel that tanks can become a breeding ground.*
doh.gif

Every 3rd top off I add about two cups of laundry bleach to*our 77 gallon system.
biggrin.gif

Noticed a tap filter was mentioned earlier in this thread.* Im not sure if that would solve the potential breeding ground problem??* But, Maybe??
confuse.gif

When the wife and I were living aboard we used the onboard tank. 150 gal. fiberglass tank. I found myself refilling every three or four days. I added a 10 micron sediment filter on the suction side of the pump and charcoal filter also 10 micron on the pressure side. I get these filters from our local plumbing supply store. They are not very expensive 3 and 4 dollars each. We change the filters every couple of months. I never see any garbage but we have a lot of iron in the water and these filters catch a lot. They look pretty bad when I change them. I showed the first one to a friend that owns a well and pump company. He told me that almost any home in our area would make the filters look the same, due to the iron in the water (if they were on their own well).

Now that we are not living aboard I flush the tank before each trip if the boat has been sitting more than a month. The flush consists of draining the tank refilling and draining again. Then refill and change the filters.

Planning a five day cruise over the Labor Day weekend. I will drain the tank, refill and run the boat up the creek to get fuel. When I get back I will drain refill and change the filters. The boat has been sitting since we cruised for 10 days in early July.

I'm a little more anal in the heat of the summer. In the winter when its not so hot in the bilge I'll go longer between flush outs.

Most "city water" is well dosed with chlorine and is fine BUT,

Should the on board water go thru any section of tubing that can admit light all bets are off.

There is usually not enough biocide in the water to handle the food that light actually is to the green slyme..

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 1st of September 2011 04:39:17 AM

I use my on board water tanks. Now 1000 lts reduced from 2000 when I installed the water maker.
I have a carbon filter on the water to the galley sink. This is for drinking (if thats what you do) mostly I drink wine and beer.
I have never had a problem with my water in 16 years.
When I cut the fronts of the tanks to reduce them in size I was amazed how little crud there was in them. A fine layer of red dust in the bottom, this wouldn't have got into the system unless the tanks were very near MT and we were rolling and with a water maker that won't happen (or not very often)
The tanks are 316 grade S/S and I use copper pipe and food grade plastic pipe for all my plumbing. The plastic stuff was a later addition as originally plumbed her all in copper.
I find absilutely no need for plastic bottles of so called fresh water as our domestic supply does me until start making my own when I am away from home.

The votes have been taken and tallied. Fill the tanks with filtered water, use a Brita water filter for the drinking water on work days when wine and beer are reserved for later, and keep the tanks clean. We have been doing that for the past e2-3 weeks and seems to work fine. Holding just over 400 gallons I don't need to fill up to often, but I do try to run the tanks close to dry before filling so that I always have 95% fresh water. Taste of the water, in the ice, coffee and tea is fine. The drinking directly from the brita still has a very slight taste which I'm fine with, but the better half is still working on. I do feel better not having that presure from the city water always on the boat, and like anything elese on a boat, the more you use it, the better it seems to work. Thanks for all the input.

However if you will be cruising , down island or further , you might consider a UV filter set up to filter the water as you take it aboard , and then switched to kill again as you draw down the island water.

The 12v pump is not supposed to be on if "my boat" is on city water pressure... Per my boats owners manual. It says the water pressure can get too high for the connections and line if both pressures are active. I have had the city pressure and pump pressure on at the same time and YES, the pressure of the system is much greater than when just either one is on so, for me, it's one or the other.
I'm not a clean water nut... Maybe I should be. I'm still alive. 90% of the time I'm on unfiltered city water. I turn the pressure off if I'm going to be away from the boat more than a couple of days. I use the tanks when the temperate drops near freezing and to check for leaks.

Thanks FF, I plan to have and use a water maker when out out the states. With the changes going on with them, that will be one of the last things I pick up. Prices keep coming down and systems seem to keep improving.

Thanks

I recently bought a 44 ft ulfstar, and I want to sanitize the water tanks. I know what to use, I just don't know the best way to flush the tanks. My wife and I have lived aboard an old sailboat for 12 years, in Everett Wa. I knew the boat well, but this is a new system for us.
Any help would be appreciated
Larry
Sea Wind

If I wanted to flush out Penny Lane, I'd run some water through the system by opening the taps and showers for 10 or 15 minutes each.* If I wanted to change the water in the tank more than once, I'd disconnect the output hose and let the water run into the bilge and let the bilge pump instead of the FW pump do the work.* You need a clear run from the tank to the bilge pump and an oil free bilge for this.*

We found this would work for us when we had a line break at the tank output. 200 Gallons of water cleaned out the bilge and went overboard in short order.

cheers

My FW tanks are 160 gallons each, so when I sanitize them I pump the bleach water overboard with a 110v portable pump I got at Home Depot. Just put the suction hose in through the tank top.

Sea Wind wrote:
I recently bought a 44 ft ulfstar, and I want to sanitize the water tanks. I know what to use, I just don't know the best way to flush the tanks. My wife and I have lived aboard an old sailboat for 12 years, in Everett Wa. I knew the boat well, but this is a new system for us.
Any help would be appreciated
Larry
Sea Wind

Larry, This is the process we have used for years. It is from a book by Peggy Hall, the "Headmistress". It has kept our tanks clean a trouble free for years. Chuck

Title: Recommission the system at least annually
By Peggy Hall

"This is all it takes to keep onboard water safe, and tasting/smelling as good as any that comes out of faucets on land: Fresh water system problems--foul odor or taste--are typically caused by allowing water to stagnate in the system. Although most people think only in terms of the tank, the plumbing is actually the source of most foul water, because the molds, mildew, fungi and bacteria which cause it thrive in damp dark places, not under water.

Many peopleand even some boat manufacturersbelieve that keeping the tanks empty reduce the problem, but an empty water tank only provides another damp dark home for those critters.** There are all kinds of products sold that claim to keep onboard water fresh, but all thats really necessary is an annual or in especially warm climates, semi-annual recommissioning of the entire systemtank and plumbing.

The following recommendations conform to section 10.8 in the A-1 192 code covering electrical, plumbing, and heating of recreational vehicles. The solution is approved and recommended by competent health officials.* It may be used in a new system a used one that has not been used for a period of time, or one that may have been contaminated. Before beginning, turn off hot water heater at the breaker; do not turn it on again until the entire recommissioning is complete.* Icemakers should be left running to allow cleaning out of the water feed line; however the first two buckets of icethe bucket generated during recommissioning and the first bucketful afterward--should be discarded.

1. Prepare a chlorine solution using one gallon of water and 1/2 cup (4 oz) Clorox or Purex household bleach (5% sodium Hypochlorite solution ). With tank empty, pour chlorine solution into tank. Use one gallon of solution for each 5 gallons of tank capacity.
2. Complete filling of tank with fresh water. Open each faucet and drain cock until air has been released and the entire system is filled.* Do not turn off the pump; it must remain on to keep the system pressurized and the solution in the lines
3. Allow to stand for at least three hours, but no longer than 24 hours. 4. Drain through every faucet on the boat (and if you haven't done this in a while, it's a good idea to remove any diffusion screens from the faucets, because what's likely to come out will clog them). Fill the tank again with fresh water only, drain again through every faucet on the boat.
5. To remove excess chlorine taste or odor which might remain, prepare a solution of one quart white vinegar to five gallons water and allow this solution to agitate it tank for several days by vehicle motion.
6. Drain tank again through every faucet, and flush the lines again by fill the tank 1/4-1/2 full and again flushing with potable water.

People have expressed concern about using this method to recommission aluminum tanks. While bleach (chlorine) IS corrosive, its effects are cumulative.* So the effect of an annual or semi-annual "shock treatment" is negligible compared to the cumulative effect of holding chlorinated city water in the tank for years. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to mix the total amount of bleach in a few gallons of water before putting it into either a stainless or aluminum tank. People have also expressed concern about the potential damage to rubber and neoprene water pump parts. Againthe cumulative effect of carrying chlorinated water is far more damaging over time than the occasional shock treatment. And its that cumulative effect that makes it a VERY bad idea to add a little bleach to each fill.* Not only does it damage the system, but unless you add enough to make your water taste and smell like a laundry, its not enough to do any good.* Even if it were, any purifying properties in chlorine evaporate within 24 hours, leaving behind only the corrosive properties.

An annual or semi-annual recommissioning according to the above directions is all that should be necessary to keep your water tasting and smelling as good as anything that comes out of any faucet on land.* If you need to improve on that, install a water filter. Just remember that a filter is not a substitute for cleaning out the system, and that filters require regular inspection and cleaning or replacement. To keep the water system cleaner longer, use your fresh water...keep water flowing through system. The molds, fungi, and bacteria only start to grow in hoses that aren't being used.

Before filling the tank each time, always let the dock water run for at least 15 minutes first...the same critters that like the lines on your boat LOVE the dock supply line and your hose that sit in the warm sun, and you certainly don't want to transfer water that's been sitting in the dock supply line to your boat's system. So let the water run long enough to flush out all the water that's been standing in them so that what goes into your boat is coming straight from the water main.

THANKS........

this kind of quality reply's are the reason that *I check these forums.

Captn Chuck.* Thanks!**Peggy Hall's recommissioning article on water system is most conclusive I've ever read.* It's recorded into my "TollyPidia" folder!*- Art*

Captn Chuck,
Thanks, I agree with Art, that article is very informative. I will give it a try.

Thnks to all of you that responded, they are all good advice.
Larry

Willy wrote:
Ten years as a live a board with the same old sure flow pump. I have had to clean the preasure sensor a couple of times but it seems to still be going strong.*
*Didn't know the pressure sensors could be "cleaned". How do you do that?

Back
Top Bottom