Bruce anchor question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurt.reynolds

Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
We have a Bruce claw on our boat. There is an eyelet near the end of the anchor. What might it be used for? Could you put a float on there to identify anchor location?

Attachments

• IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 123
It is for a marker float or a trip line.

David

Can be both in one. I use to think the Bruce was the best anchor for my use.

If you think a Bruce is a good anchor you'll be in heaven with one of the new generation anchors

M30

You missed the past tense. ��

I saw a boat anchored in a very crowded anchorage last year with a float on the anchor. Another boat cruised by and caught his float line in their prop. The two of them drifted for a tense minute or so before another anchor could be deployed. Then it was up to TowBoatUS to sort it all out and tow the snagged boat away.

Aand...They're off! Motion 30 takes an early lead on the outside...
200.gif
It`s to bolt the anchor to your home garage wall while you go buy a different anchor.:rofl:

That's strange, the site just informed me that my token has expired. I'd' be a lot more concerned if I knew what a token was...?

Could it be you black friend died? Just kidding.

Ah, the obligatory, semi-annual anchor discussion. Good question Kurt.Reynolds, but if you think the USS Fitzgerald collision opens debate....⚓️+[emoji924] !

Honestly guys, I used a real Bruce for more than 20 years and only had one small problem when the tide changed. I now use a Boss and feel it is a surperior due to the fact that it sets immediately but I usually anchor in sand and/or light grass so you might have other results.

I use a 15kg Lewmar Claw (Bruce wannabe) exclusively in the SF Bay and CA Delta without fail. I anchor sometimes 15 times a month in fishing season with many overnights. It's always worked for me so I don't know how to improve upon it. In fact, it once held me and a 60 Hatteras in 50 ft of water in windy conditions in the SF Bay Slot after an allision during the Fleet Week Blue Angels Air Show. IMO, it's been thoroughly battle tested.

But YMMV...your conditions may be different. We have semi-sticky mud and we're generally weed-free in depths greater than 15 ft.

Just don't use the trip line!!

Last edited:
thanks everyone, we are anchoring for the first time in our new to us GB 42 and excited to check out our Bruce Anchor.

Regards,
Kurt

Hi RT, it was a message from the site. I'm on the Sunshine Coast (the Canadian one) and there are more grow-ops here per square mile than only Lasqueti Island! Sadly, I don't smoke...

Anyway, as I'm obviously posting, my token must have been rejuvenated! Woohoo!

Oh I almost forgot, I have a stainless steel Bruce on my bow, the only thing on the boat that is shiny (except the clocks) and I'll ask you not to badmouth my anchor. Even though I have yet to use it (its new to me) I'm sure its a very sincere anchor.

Last edited:
I've come to the conclusion that SS anchors work better and you get the bling too.

But like RT says .. alas my 33lb Lewmar is but galvanized.

If the anchor you are using keeps your boat in place and you've used it hundreds of times without incident, someone please explain to me how another anchor could be "better".

To answer the original question, the hole is for attaching a trip line. If you don't know what that is or how it works, do a web search. It's better than trying to explain it on a forum.

If you don't know what that is or how it works, do a web search. It's better than trying to explain it on a forum.

You do realize most of us are reading this thread not to learn, but to be entertained. :facepalm:
And, so far, RTF has it in spades! I can't even try to compete..

You do realize most of us are reading this thread not to learn, but to be entertained. :facepalm:
And, so far, RTF has it in spades! I can't even try to compete..

Some people, mostly new members come here to learn. If they ask a serious question and get a bunch of BS back, they are not likely to continue to participate.

WesK

Some people thrive on BS. ��

WesK wrote on post #20;
"If the anchor you are using keeps your boat in place and you've used it hundreds of times without incident, someone please explain to me how another anchor could be "better"."

WesK,
One could have an anchor that would work on bottoms that are not as bulletproof as the bottoms of the SF Delta. The only reason the Claws became a popular anchor is because there are so many good mud bottoms. Even on the inside passage to Alaska bottoms are predominantly .. mud.

Find a challenging bottom and the Claw's performance may become iffy. Lots of people (like Marin Fare) think dragging is the end of the world. But dragging happens slowly and if you're so slow you can't get ahold of a situation .. then you're real slow. Dragging on a hard bottom w the anchor on top is another matter. But 99% of the time if you set your anchor it won't happen.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. WK. I think if you had taken the time to read the whole thread from the beginning you may have noticed the question was accurately and properly answered by Mr. dj in post #2. The resultant 20+ comments are redundant and unnecessary as is your post #20. MY post #5, being the topic is a well worn OMG subject, is a comment on anchor discussions in general.

Last edited:
Learning is more remembered when it costs you money or is painful.

Lots of people (like Marin Fare) think dragging is the end of the world.
It can be for some. Anacortes had some high winds back in May. One individual doing liveaboard in an express anchored off of Cap Sante decided to come ashore and use the restroom at Seafarer's Park. While ashore, the winds kicked up and drug his home across Fidalgo Bay. It ended up on the east side of the bay near the pipe lines bouncing very hard. We were sitting at the park watching as it happened. In my guestimate, it only took about an hour and a half to cross the bay and start bouncing. The anchored sailboats fared much better. One swung quite a bit and a dinghy with outboard flipped over, but most seemed to do okay. This is what the express looked like when recovered:

Attachments

• AnchorDragResult_resize.jpg
    AnchorDragResult_resize.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 56
Making fun of someone's question isn't a good way to have a useful forum.

Oh poop Wes! Lighten up! July 4th is looming and cavorting is afoote. Go get a pedicure and polish your dancing shoes while I polish my anchor! 8^)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom