Temperature Monitoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTPT

Vessel Name
Have Patience
Vessel Make
Navigator 56 Classic
Posted this in general discussion but got no responses. Want to develop a system to monitor temp at several sites and transfer data wireless to iPad or desktop or laptop computer for continuous monitoring. Looking to monitor exhaust manifolds, alternators, engine oil, batteries, shaft seal housing, etc, etc. Looking to do something like outlined in article in Sea - "Reading the Heat" April 17, but would like to transfer date wirelessly. Ok with spending more the $50 he did. Nice system though.
Suggestions for building such a system please. I'm guessing others have done this successfully. Can anybody direct me to discussions about building such a system?
Tom

I am interested in what you find. I have done some of monitoring with Maretron equipment but it costs a lot more than $50

Yes forget $50, maybe per point monitored.

I would look for an active RaspberryPi or Arduino based FOSS project.

Sorry. You guys misread my post. I'm happy to spend much more than $50. The Electrical Engineer who wrote the article in Sea spent less than $50 on his system. Nice but not what I'm looking to build. I would like to temp sense several sites on 3 engines and wirelessly send to iPad.

If you have a base Maretron system, then the incremental cost for a bunch of temp sensors isn't too bad. The temp module is about $350 and has 6 ports, so about $60 per port. And the sensors are maybe $20-$30. So total of about $100 per port. But you do need the baseline !2k network, and a maretron display device or USB interface to configure and mange everything. Long term is a pretty good value, but there is a startup cost.

Why reinvent the wheel with overly complex devices when for $100 you can get a dual sensor unit.

https://engineguard.com.au

I in no way endorse this unit, but I am getting one.
About as K.I.S.S. as it gets.

Raspberry PI using wired probe sensors would be an easy cheap solution..

Very cheap and can easily send the info over the built in wifi.

Why reinvent the wheel with overly complex devices when for $100 you can get a dual sensor unit.

https://engineguard.com.au

I in no way endorse this unit, but I am getting one.
About as K.I.S.S. as it gets.

Nice simple unit. Problem for me is my helm station and flybridge are pretty far away from what I want to monitor. It would be great to do this with a wireless system.

If you have a base Maretron system, then the incremental cost for a bunch of temp sensors isn't too bad. The temp module is about $350 and has 6 ports, so about $60 per port. And the sensors are maybe $20-$30. So total of about $100 per port. But you do need the baseline !2k network, and a maretron display device or USB interface to configure and mange everything. Long term is a pretty good value, but there is a startup cost.

Are you saying that each temp module will support temp from 6 sources? I'm guessing this would require a Maretron MFD. Correct?

Raspberry PI using wired probe sensors would be an easy cheap solution..

Very cheap and can easily send the info over the built in wifi.

Would you be kind enough to give me some more details on how this might work? I went to the Rasberry PI website. Not very helpful.

Both Arduino and rPi are for computer/electronic hobbyists that enjoy figuring stuff out themselves, googling, dedicated project forums etc.

Likely not suitable for someone looking for OOB functionality

Are you saying that each temp module will support temp from 6 sources? I'm guessing this would require a Maretron MFD. Correct?

Thats right. One TMP100 (their temp module) can have up to 6 sensors connected to it.

Once configured, any N2k display device should be able to display the various temperatures. But N2k compatibility isn't always the greatest, so perhaps test out whatever you think you might want to try.

However, to initially configure the tmp100, you need one of a couple maretron management devices.

You can use one of their displays to configure the device, and then of course use it to display data.

Alternately you can use either a USB100 or an IPG100 to connect to a PC running their free n2kanalyze program. With that you can configure the tmp100, then display the data on something else.

Nice simple unit. Problem for me is my helm station and flybridge are pretty far away from what I want to monitor. It would be great to do this with a wireless system.

As is my wheelhouse from engine as I have a twin Decker.
The ad says they do any length of cable you want, no extra charge.

This one does 10m cables as well
http://enginewatchdog.com/tm2.html

Last edited:
Have not seen a decent wireless unit.

Would you be kind enough to give me some more details on how this might work? I went to the Rasberry PI website. Not very helpful.

The raspberry pi solution is a diy solution.

Run the web server on the pi, and then write some code or scripts to poll the temp sensor pins, convert the return voltage to degrees and post it to a web page. Loop that script on regular intervals to update the temps on the web page. Write a refresh thing to have your browser refresh every 30 seconds or so...

You could also drive a piezo alarm if some values are out of normal operating range. Add a silence button to clear / reset the alarm.

You would also want to add some engine running or not sensor, to ignore inputs when the engine is off, since the data will be invalid.

The raspberry pi solution is a diy solution.

Yes to an automation engineer

Stainless Steel welding is a DYI solution to a welder
Engine rebuilding s a DYI solution to a mechanic.

Allot of these things are wonderful projects if someone either has advanced skills in a particular feld, or is willing to take the time to educate themselves. :)

Yes to an automation engineer

Stainless Steel welding is a DYI solution to a welder
Engine rebuilding s a DYI solution to a mechanic.

Allot of these things are wonderful projects if someone either has advanced skills in a particular feld, or is willing to take the time to educate themselves. :)
Kevin you are so correct.

I own a Drives Integration, Company and even I have to be careful when involving one of our designers in a boat project. Because at the end of the day it has to be maintained and he won't be around when I'm in the middle of nowhere on a long weekend with a situation.

So the rule is no matter how cool he thinks something is, if I can't maintain it. It doesn't go.

Kevin you are so correct.

I own a Drives Integration, Company and even I have to be careful when involving one of our designers in a boat project. Because at the end of the day it has to be maintained and he won't be around when I'm in the middle of nowhere on a long weekend with a situation.

So the rule is no matter how cool he thinks something is, if I can't maintain it. It doesn't go.

I like off the shelf systems whenever possible. "No black boxes"

Everything has to be maintained, or troubleshot when problems appear, home grown or COTS alike. What you're saying is you would prefer to be able to call someone to fix it...

What I used to do was good enough for CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, EBU and NATO networks, and I think it would be good enough for you guy's boats. After all, it doesn't involve earth stations, satellite links and all the details I had to sweat for them.

If the M&C system is within Internet range, I could diagnose problems from my desk. I've done it many times before...

I have used this system before, but requires both the temperature module and wireless access device if your MFD doesn't have wireless incorporated.

Attachments

• temp monitor.pdf
    176.2 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom