Westerbeke 8.0 BTD Sound Guard Panel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FBoykin

Vessel Name
Hannah Jane
Vessel Make
2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Reworking a new to me Westerbeke 8.0 BTD Sound Guard on a year 2000 Grand Banks 42. Repainting rusted areas and replacing the foam sound proofing (w/Dynamat). I located the original Sound Guard instructions and I think the PO installed the end panels backwards. One panel has an air exhaust opening on it and the other one is a solid panel. It looks like the instructions are saying the air exhaust panel should be on the engine side of the generator in front of the alternator/water pump/fan belt, etc. The solid panel should be at the rear where the Sound Guard air intake is located.

The PO had the air exhaust panel at the rear - and it's been that way for some time because I can see where the rust areas match up.

Anyone have this set-up, who can confirm correct location of the panels? Thanks!

My panels are all solid except for the one at the generator end that has a baffled opening in it.

Here are the 2 pages from the installation guide for the Westerbeke 8.0 BTD Sound Guard. This unit is discontinued. It has a wood base, new style has a stainless steel base and not sure new style would even fit. Not to mention the difficulty in installing it.

These directions clearly show the panel with the baffled opening at the engine end of the genset. Refer to items 5, 6 & 9. also the diagrams. Stumped!

View attachment 8.0 BTD Sound Guard page 1.pdf

View attachment 8.0 BTD Sound Guard page 2.pdf

Bay Pelican has the Sound Guard on the 8.0 BTD. The baffled opening has been at the rear of the generator, the AC end, opposite the engine end. Has been this way for 30 years.

Thanks for the responses. Nice to have 2 confirmations that the baffled panel is at the back (generator) end. But I'm big on manuals and having a time matching up what's in the field vs. what's showing in the manual.

I've uploaded another page w/side view diagram showing air flow coming in through rear skirt (generator end) and exiting through front panel baffle (engine end).

I'm headed to the boat late next week and will give my set-up a really good look. I'd like to get this right - gensets work hard enough as it is and I'd like to make sure the air flow is what it's supposed to be. Thanks again!

View attachment 8.0 BTD Sound Guard additional page.pdf

Another vote for the vents at the generator end - ours is a BTD 8 too.

I talked to long time Westerbeke employee and got the answer. If genset end is near a bulkhead, baffled panel should go at that end. Guy said Westerbeke wanted generator end to get as much air as possible to help keep wiring cooler, etc. He ended up saying to ignore the instruction sheet and just put the baffled panel at genset end. Give the wiring plenty of air. So I put it back the way I found it. FYI, the Dynamat hood liner soundproofing I used really cut the noise.

Back
Top Bottom