View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #17
windmist
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
RE: Where are the boats?

The Oil companies have ways of accessing the oil shales and tapping the large reserves of oil in the midwest. We may have Opec worried, so the price will back off.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Unfortunately, the current administration won't approve any exploration and development of the vast oil resources we have in the US. Don't expect much or any relief from high oil prices in the near future.
-----------------------------------------

On another note, here in the PNW I have never seen so many Canadian boats cruising in the US. We started our summer cruise from Olympia, which is almost as far south as you can go in Puget Sound, and saw 3 Canadian boats there. In the San Juan's, it almost appeared they where as many Canadians as US boats. My guess for this is that the strong Canadian dollar and the lower US prices for everything is the big reason.

Now I'm in British Columbia and in the past, it seemed like US boats almost where more numerous than Canadian boats. That's certainly not the case this year! I guess the US is not far from being a thrid world country.

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote