How busy are the high seas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Have a look...

Parallel to the USS Fitzgerald thread, the talk about traffic and a posted AIS live link, the following video is a fun watch.

I was reminded of it last year when keeping an eye on Dauntless Richard cross the Atlantic and his comments he had seen no other vessels in days.

This video is a very slow load so wait for it.

https://www.shipmap.org/

Amazing what a difference perspective makes

It certainly does look busy with every commercial boat in the world mapped out, however it seems very lonely when you are out there and you haven't seen another boat for days.

Try cruising up the English Channel or along the waterfront in Singapore!

For most long cruising, the recreational traffic is very light and the commercial moderate until you reach a port. Then some ports are like rush hour in NYC.

Have a look...

Parallel to the USS Fitzgerald thread, the talk about traffic and a posted AIS live link, the following video is a fun watch.

I was reminded of it last year when keeping an eye on Dauntless Richard cross the Atlantic and his comments he had seen no other vessels in days.

This video is a very slow load so wait for it.

https://www.shipmap.org/

Came up instantly. I have Verizon Fios.
I saw a dot of light moving across the middle of the USA not near water in a straight line?

If you're in a shipping lane you'll see ships all the time. If you're not in a shipping lane, it can be quite lonely.

Seems crazy sped up like that but look at an AIS online tracker in real time in your area and you'll see why it seems lonely.

"If you're in a shipping lane you'll see ships all the time. If you're not in a shipping lane, it can be quite lonely."

For planning OPW will let you decide if you want to be alone or a target.

Ocean Passages for the World inc​​​ludes: Individual ch​​​​apters covering each of the world's oceans, with details of weather, climate, winds, currents, swell, seasonal factors and ice hazards.
ADMIRALTY Ocean Passages for the World | Publications | ADMIRALTY
jvPvAQBxFm5jP49PygAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

https://www.admiralty.co.uk/publications/publications.../ocean-passages-for-the-world

Amazing the difference in marine traffic comparing the US east and west coasts to Europe and Asia. Not much going on stateside in comparison.

Amazing the difference in marine traffic comparing the US east and west coasts to Europe and Asia. Not much going on stateside in comparison.
And the survey says...
Europe & Asia 5 billion
North America 0.5 billion.

Last edited:
Inland waters can be very crowded.

Inland waters can be very crowded.

Go to a major inland lake, like the one we lived on (Lake Norman, NC) on a holiday and then you'll know crowded. And col-regs? Get serious. You think anyone there even knows what they are. Plus, if you did know them, I've never found that section as to what to do when boats are on all sides of you and approaching from all directions. I've seen the equivalent of 3 to 4 ft seas on a completely calm day just from all the boat wakes. You don't need to worry about a boat waking you, hundreds will.

I recall my first time seeing Biscayne Bay on a holiday and everyone talking about the crowd. I just said, "Imagine an entire lake looking like that." Have you ever seen any of the huge holiday weekends on Lake Havasu? Wall to wall boats.

I've never been to a port that looked like that Japanese port. Also the major ports I've been to have been relatively organized with shipping lanes being properly used. I've seen on Marine Traffic though some in Asia that seemed to have no rhyme or reason and boats going in all directions.

Reminds me of shopping carts in a crowded grocery store. No rules, completely chaotic traffic, but somehow very few collisions.

Back
Top Bottom