View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #19
IntoTheBlue

City: Oakdale NY
Vessel Name: Into The Blue
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 43
Dhays mentioned that I would get many opinions on this subject and he was right. However, all of the various opinions made good points and noted experiences with their method, so I thank all who offered.

I can note that:
My boat has an above water anchor locker with good drainage. Also, as the boat was delivered new with all chain (240'), weight in the bow is not an issue that I've ever noticed. Also, my windlass (Lewmar) will take both chain and rode.

You never know, but I can reasonably be assured that we will probably do most of our boating on the eastern waterways, including rivers, from Florida to Canada. So, with exception of various parts of Maine and on the rivers, the bottom will be mostly sand and mud.

Chain / Rode: There are 2 good points that are relative to me. First, the "less need" for a snubber. Second, the ability to pull in the line by hand (although still not easy) and to tie the line to a deck cleat.

The other, not mentioned here, but brought up in conversation at West Marine, was should the anchor get snagged and your in a dangerous situation, you can cut a line.

Should I go with a combo, I'm not sure why some have gone with long lengths of chains (120 '). Is this based on calculating the chain being "on bottom", to avoid abrasion to the line?

On the other hand, I've had all chain for 11 years and it has worked. It also offered a shorter scope (maybe that's why those with a combo have a long length of chain?).

It's not often in local waters that use any more than 60 feet of scope. That also has been my experience for most gunk holes down the eastern shore. But in Maine, we did from time to time let out up to 180 - 200. Even at BI, if we're not successful at getting in to the shallows before every else, we have to anchor in 30-40 feet water.

I have a week to make up my mind and I again thank all for their input. Seriously, there really is no wrong answer.
IntoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote