Our maiden voyage on our new boat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve91T

Guru
Vessel Name
Abeona
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Here's a short video I made of our first little trip in our new to us Mainship 31! We spent 3 nights on it and absolutely can't wait to go back! This was all in Charleston, SC. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/m7c1xW5bWTU

and that, guys and girls, is what it's all about! Hoping every trip is as enjoyable as the first. Good drone work btw.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 150
I hope that's what U've been looking for.
Be happy and enjoy

Good video and congrats on your first successful cruise.

Thanks for taking us along with you,

Great video! Happy for y'all. Keep the pics and videos coming.

Congrats!!!! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!! So happy for you!!

Thanks everyone! We are so excited for our next trip. The boat is getting some work done like cutless bearings and bottom paint, then she'll be ready for our next trip...this time with our 3 year old little girl. We can't wait!

Congrats and great video! That's the way boating should be!!

That was fun to watch. Thanks for posting!

Can you spare the chef for a month or two??:angel: Life is good!!:)

Steve,

Looks like a great start, and hope many more great trips are coming for you.

Question, did you get the drone to land back on the boat.... and how? Any issues? I'm ready for drone practice and getting a hand me down for training.

Steve,

Question, did you get the drone to land back on the boat.... and how? Any issues? I'm ready for drone practice and getting a hand me down for training.

I bet there are more hand-me-down remotes than hand-me-down drones. :confused: :facepalm: :banghead: :blush:

Recently, a couple of TF members demonstrated their drones to me. The new ones have a GO HOME feature that allow autonomous return and landing while avoiding obstacles. This is pretty cool technology to a guy who made a career flying life-size gadgets like that and certifying navigation systems to make that happen in bad wx.

Very :socool::socool::socool: Cool!

Steve,

I've been flying rc my whole life, drones are so different. They aren't like flying an rc airplane, more like flying a computer. That being said, once you get comfortable, they are a lot of fun.

I'm using. A Bugs 3. It's basically a toy that I strap my GoPro to. It's just a great flying quad for just over $100.

That being said, flying over water is scary. There's no second chances. If you make a mistake or if you have a glitch, your GoPro and quad will be gone. But even the cheap quads these days are so reliable that I felt comfortable with the risk. Just take your time and get comfortable with it before flying over water. Which drone do you have?

Here's my landing. It was a relief to get it back!

https://youtu.be/CinxDMZuwss

I bet there are more hand-me-down remotes than hand-me-down drones. :confused: :facepalm: :banghead: :blush:

Recently, a couple of TF members demonstrated their drones to me. The new ones have a GO HOME feature that allow autonomous return and landing while avoiding obstacles. This is pretty cool technology to a guy who made a career flying life-size gadgets like that and certifying navigation systems to make that happen in bad wx.

Very :socool::socool::socool: Cool!

The technology is unreal. And it seemed to come out of nowhere. Apparently the cell phone technology is what made small and precise electronic gyros possible.

My drone doesn't have any of those features. But it still is a great flying drone. But it still takes a lot of concentration. The drones that fly themselves are amazing. They allow you do forget about the drone and it takes care of itself. Is there are decnent ones for $500 including the camera...really amazing.

How fun! Very nice.

Nice boat.. We just sold our MS31 earlier in the year to buy a bigger boat, but loved the Mainship. Are you at the Myrtle Beach Yacht Club?

Nice boat.. We just sold our MS31 earlier in the year to buy a bigger boat, but loved the Mainship. Are you at the Myrtle Beach Yacht Club?

Thank! So far we absolutely love it. The size is perfect for us, but I could see wanting a larger boat someday.

The previous owner bought it from Myrtle Beach and brought it down to Charleston where we still keep it. We might start bringing it north in another month or two though. We want to explore different parts of the ICW.

Small World

Our boat wound up in Savannah. If you come up stay at the Myrtle Beach Yacht Club. We are in slip C-39, Ask for Ray and Kim. Everyone knows us.

The 31 was a bit small for us and I burned a lot of fuel. I had the Marine Power 350's. Great engines. Mine was a 98. We now have a 40 foot Hyatt Sundeck and liveaboard. Stop by in you are in the area.. BTW, we lived in Huntersville from 1985 until 2005.

Ray Heath

We will definitely be headed that way. I'll let you know when that might be.
Ours has twin Marine Power 454's. They sound awesome but I know they are not exactly easy on gas. So we are going to run the boat at displacement speed. 1800 RPM seems just about perfect, about 7.5kts. We like that speed anyway.

Congrats bud and great video!!! I live in Charleston and my girlfriend & I are also looking to make our first liveaboard purchase within the next 6-12 months. Best of wishes to ya'll and happy cruising!!

Congrats bud and great video!!! I live in Charleston and my girlfriend & I are also looking to make our first liveaboard purchase within the next 6-12 months. Best of wishes to ya'll and happy cruising!!

Thank you! Where do you guys plan on keeping it?

Not quite sure yet, still have quite a bit of research to do on what type/size/cost would be best suited for us. We certainly do love Charleston and we'll likely stay based locally here in-between weekend & extended voyages but that's still a ways down the road/river for us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom