View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #24
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: A little help for a boat purchase please….

Marin,

Your post on page 2 about the pilothouse boats was great. It's my favorite. The first trawler we looked at was a GlenL pilothouse much like the Nordics and I've never seen a configuration better.

On the GB I take issue w your " higher resale value due to brand name and quality (or*perceived quality) of the boat." Buying anything w a good resale value will insure that you pay more to own the product. Sure you get more when you sell but you pay more when you buy. As the boat depreciates and the value gets less and less the high entry price and good resale value element gets less and less too. Since time must pass between the purchase and sale of the boat one gets less back than they paid. If you keep the boat until it's dead you get no resale value at all but you did pay the high price. So getting a high price upper end product costs more and you loose more when you sell it for more than average compared to average product. But the end result is that you pay more for the better product (if it is) and that is the way it should be. But people seem to think they get their money back on a good expensive product when they sell but it just ain't so.

As to quality I'm sure the wood GBs were a very good boat built of the best materials but I don't see the plastic GBs as significantly superior in any way except probably design from a aesthetic point of view. The only thing I know about the GBs performance wise is that they are wet boats*** ....that obviously being a negative. You say they are easily driven. I'd bet money the CHB is more easily driven at the speeds both boats usually go. But the looks of the older Grand Banks Yachts are top notch. No argument here on that score. And there's nothing negative enough about then to keep me from buying one. I would have liked that 36 w twin 55hp Yanmars or one w a newer 80hp single Deer.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote