Hands-on Fire Training in HCMC, Vietnam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
This was quite spectacular because I have never seen office workers actually learning “hands-on” how to use a fire extinguisher to put out propane and gasoline fires.

They also watched how to deploy and connect the firefighting hose that are everywhere, as well as outside my apartment door.

So, I thought you would you find this interesting and it is certainly applicable to boaters like us.

Another reason I am impressed with Vietnam.
20170614_151455.jpg

I didn't see the beginning because I was initially attracted by the smoke.:dance:

The rest of the pics and videos are on my latest DauntlessAtSea.com Blog post, because it's taken 5 minutes just to get it to upload one picture.

Richard

This was quite spectacular because I have never seen office workers actually learning “hands-on” how to use a fire extinguisher to put out propane and gasoline fires.

Richard
C'mon Man. Those hands on demonstrations aren't really necessary in this country. We operate under the "It'll never happen to me" flag so training on important stuff like fighting fires isn't required. :dance:

Hands on training with fire extinguishers has been the standard for all of the places I've worked in Canada for the last 15 or so years. Office staff too.

Most recently though, they've replaced the fire with a flashing light and IR sensor, and the extinguishing agent with a light beam.

Dumbing down...

ForumRunner_20170618_080400.jpg

I can't get videos from phone either

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20170618_080420.jpg
    ForumRunner_20170618_080420.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 48
I would be careful in extending this example of training to an overall impression that working in Vietnam is safe, or even that the managers care about safety.
My very recent work episode in the NW of Vietnam paints an entirely different picture.
If pressed, I can elaborate on examples of out of control fall safety, electrical safety, fire safety, arc flash safety and road safety. I love the Viet people and otherwise had a terrific time working and living in the country. But my job site has such human losses they constructed an on-site temple to memorialize the dead.

some facts: the Hoa Binh Dam sustained 168 fatalities during construction in the mid '90's. I asked several on-site about the Lai Chau dam casualty rate, but got no answers. The new dam is about is about 5x the capacity of the Hoa Binh system.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom