Hull ID Number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damon

Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased a 42' CHB Trawler. I am having trouble with the HIN only because it is a documented vessel but I still have to register it with the state. The HIN is R420151080-DC which does not show up in any database. Meanwhile my insurance says my Hull ID does not match the make and model. I have scoured the net but I cannot find any manufaturere with the ID. I know it's a CHB as I have compared the layout, materials, construction of what would be characterized as identical vessels. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! Whatever the documentation or title from the previous owner, and your bill of sale should be enough.

Ted

Looks like a 1980 model boat, correct?

The HIN should be 12 digits, starting with 3 letter (called the MIC code). Look on the starboard transom- it should be there.

What is the vessel name, and where are you in Seattle?

Looks like a 1980 model boat, correct?

The HIN should be 12 digits, starting with 3 letter (called the MIC code). Look on the starboard transom- it should be there.

What is the vessel name, and where are you in Seattle?

You are correct but this one is different. Even the Coast Guard info shows the same HIN. I will attach a copy. The documented number is 999033 Ola Grande located Elliott Bay Marina. Any help would be appreciated. My insurance is going to cancel me if not resolved by the 21st.

Attachments

• HIN.jpg
    HIN.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 75
Hull ID Numbers - BoatSafe.com
Manufacturers Identification

I couldn't find a MIC for CHB Yachts. The MIC should be a three letter code.

Pre-1984 HIN would be

<MIC><Serial Number><Date of Certification>

ABC12341272

MIC = ABC
Serial # = 1234
12 = Month of Certification(December)
72 = Year of Certification (1972)

There is no MIC for "R". This might be a valid serial number, but it is an unorthodox HIN.

Talk to the DOL in Ballard see if they can assign you a new conforming # and see if this will fly with the CG. Worst case you may have to give up US documentation or if CHB is still around they can assign a new #.

My President has a similar issue and I am struggling with / thru it.
I have copies of the previous registrations and USCG documentation with a different format. Mine is 41-82XXXXXX
Which is 10 digits.
It is a 41' 1982 President, So that explains the first 4 characters.

I have no Hull ID plate anywhere. I have a "work around" but I am not too happy with it as it will probably give me problems when and if I sell her.

Just chatted with Damon and gave him some direction as to how get things straightened out...

My President has a similar issue and I am struggling with / thru it.
I have copies of the previous registrations and USCG documentation with a different format. Mine is 41-82XXXXXX
Which is 10 digits.
It is a 41' 1982 President, So that explains the first 4 characters.

I have no Hull ID plate anywhere. I have a "work around" but I am not too happy with it as it will probably give me problems when and if I sell her.

On my 1983 President 41 the HIN is molded into the transom on the starboard side, just below the teak band (3" below band, 7" in from corner). A friends 1981 President 41 had it in the same place. Are you saying yours is NOT there?

Marty...........................

This HIN appears to be missing the first two letters. The five digits, which can be anything the manufacturer wants are OK. The 1080 is OK. The problem is the two digits before the R. Anyway, this is how I would approach it.

Doesn't the HIN need to be engraved permanently into the hull? That looks like it's on an attached plate. What's under the plate?

I understand the HIN can be permanently attached, such as with rivets.

Could this be a reconstruction VIN issued by a state? I have seen similar on a totaled dinghy except it was a decal over the original VIN.

The HIN can be either be molded into the hull or attached on a data plate.

A state issued HIN always has "Z" as the 3rd character. I believe this is the original HIN; while the USCG promulgated standards for Hull ID Numbers in 1972, I've seen many variants on 70s and 80s vessels.

Marty, your conclusion is correct.
I have NO embossed HIN on the starboard stern of my vessel. I have searched in that area under the teak rail. My hull has been painted by the PO's. Maybe it is a case of over buffing for 30 years ??
I have thought about re-engraving the number myself. Has anybody done that ?

Sorry for the sidebar on this thread......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom