Fuel Monitoring System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry M

Guru
Site Team
Hobo has a 26 year old, single engine, FloScan System. The forward sensor (Model 265) has failed. I'm waiting to hear from FloScan but after my first conversation, I'm not holding my breath that there's a cheap fix. They're trying to find/see if they have a sensor that will work. A new FloScan system is ~$1,000.

All I look at is the real time GPH and cumulative gallons. I have a NMEA 200K backbone with an MFD but I do like the stand alone display with the current system.

Suggestions for a replacement?

Maretron's FFM100 plus 2 appropriately sized flow sensors. But it will still cost you about $1000.

Suggestions for a replacement?

Electrical ties on sight tubes and maths? :)

Once you have your numbers sorted (rpm/lph) once do they ever really change?

Last edited:
You could install a pressure transducer in each tank and convert the pressure to gallons with a small pic or arduino processor.

My boat came with a single Flowscan for the 450 HP Cummins. Wanted to use it on the JD 135 HP replacement engine. Thought I could just buy a new dash gauge. No luck, the sensors are only accurate with in a flow range. Decided it wasn't worth the money to replace the whole system. Then learned my new engine had real time fuel consumption monitoring (+/- .1 GPH). Close enough for my needs. Goodbye Flowscam.

Ted

Use your RPM to estimate fuel burn its close enough. I find my fuel burn information more of a toy. I know what rpm gets approximate speeds and fuel burn. Since you have had that information from flow-scan for years your estimates have to be good.

Maretron's FFM100 plus 2 appropriately sized flow sensors. But it will still cost you about $1000.
That's the route I went but it was expensive! In addition to the FFM100 you also need a DSM150 or DSM250 (Larger screen) along with a TLM100 tank level monitor.

DSM150...$495
FFM100....$395
TLM100....$225 (Single)

Plus various cables, etc and installation.

Edit: The first pic is the DSM150
The second pic is the Raymarine eS128 MFD

Blow them up to read the red notes.

Attachments

• panel DSM150.jpg
    panel DSM150.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 104
  • Raymarine MFD.jpg
    Raymarine MFD.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The Maretron system seems to be the alternative to the FloScan.

We have calibrated sight tubes so we know how full the tanks are.

I'm use to the FloScan as another gauge on how the fuel system/engine is running. I can tell pretty quick if the bottom/running gear is fouled. Beating into head seas, I try to balance fuel burn, comfort and rpms.

Recently, I wish it had been working when the leak-off pipe on the injectors was dumping fuel. I probably would have noticed right away that we had a fuel delivery issue instead 2 hours later when I checked the oil level. We had dumped a gallon plus of diesel into the engine oil. :facepalm:

Hopefully FloScan can come up with something or can find a sensor from a removed system.

Last edited:
Off topic: This is the new engine that had the problem??

On topic: at IBEX a few years ago, they had a very affordable (less then $100) stand alone fuel flow meter (remote monitor was option) Quick look on amazon/ebay, lots out there. While I usually don't like "cheap internet crap", it wouldn't be a critical failure(housing aside). Can't remember manufacturer from show.

With the flow scan, can it calculate and display NMPG if provided with GPS data? I know maretron can, and it's really useful for long trips where you need to carefully regulate and monitor fuel burn. Just figure out how many NMPG you need to meet or exceed to make the trip, then control boat speed to achieve the desired NMPG. You can instantly see any positive or negative effects of current, seas, and wind, and adjust speed accordingly. This won't matter for many, but when you do need it, it's real handy.

With the flow scan, can it calculate and display NMPG if provided with GPS data? (yes) I know maretron can, and it's really useful for long trips where you need to carefully regulate and monitor fuel burn. ..... You can instantly see any positive or negative effects of current, seas, and wind, and adjust speed accordingly.
Depending which FloScan model you buy, yes, it can display nm/gal. I have had 3 FloScan systems in the past but my Maretron FFM100 is a superior system.(IMHO) :blush:

Attachments

• Fuel Gauge.jpg
    Fuel Gauge.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
With the flow scan, can it calculate and display NMPG if provided with GPS data? I know maretron can, and it's really useful for long trips where you need to carefully regulate and monitor fuel burn. Just figure out how many NMPG you need to meet or exceed to make the trip, then control boat speed to achieve the desired NMPG. You can instantly see any positive or negative effects of current, seas, and wind, and adjust speed accordingly. This won't matter for many, but when you do need it, it's real handy.

Yes, the newer models can. It's a pretty cool. It takes the guess work out and would be a stress reducer.

Larry... I came across this a while back and haven't had a chance to call them. I suspect it might be gasoline but the boat in the video sure looks diesel.

http://www.interactio.co/

Larry... I came across this a while back and haven't had a chance to call them. I suspect it might be gasoline but the boat in the video sure looks diesel.

Interactio

Thanks. I started to look at it but I heard back from FloScan. They'll sell us a new system, which is an upgrade, complete for $804. That includes both sensors, dampeners and display/processor. The installation is pretty much plug and play since the signal cable from the engine room to the instrument panel is the same, fuel line locations are the same and the display is the same size/cutout. I'll think about it over the weekend.

FloScan Instrument Co. Inc.

If I want the GPS model that's $920.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom