View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #802
N4061
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
Congratulations on your new Helmsman. I'm curious. Why the Helmsman instead of the North Pacific? It looks to be about the same quality and the same capability. I like the hardtop on the NP45. That was a nice touch. They even look very similar but there is something about the NP45 that I really like. Maybe it's the hardtop. The interior of the Helmsman is very nice but it's very nice on the NP. Was price the main consideration? I think the Helmsman is priced a bit more competitively.
We actually looked at the NP and spoke with Trevor more than once during our research. While our knowledge of the NP line of boats is limited we do appreciate some of their characteristics but in the end we selected the Helmsman 38 for its quality, hull shape, beam, low profile PH, value and proven capability based upon two other Nordhavn owners who owned H38's and used them hard in the PNW including many trips to Alaska. Hull design is very important to us and we discovered the Helmsman design is more a modified full displacement hull than a semi displacement hull which try's to offer both FD and SD speeds. The Helmsman hull is soft in all types of weather conditions where a SD design can be a little more rough. She is a 7.5 knot boat which was the speed we were looking for. Yes she will top out around 12 knot's but we will never reach those speeds and burn a ton of gas. We burn under 2GPH all day have a range of 800 miles which meets our needs. If we had to do it all over again we would build another Helmsman without spending another two years researching everything else out there. Hope this answers your question.

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote