Old 06-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #19
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
In theory, that makes sense. However, it is not practical. Mark mentioned that his marina doesn't charge per kwh for electricity. The reason they don't is that they don't have individual meters for each pedestal. There would be a very large capital cost to installing all those meters and they have made the decision not to do it.

Consider the airlines, how are they going to "meter" the weight of passengers? Back in the day wen airline tickets were purchased at the ticket counter, it would have been easy to have a scale in front of the counter. Now, tickets are purchased ahead of time. How is the airline to know what the weight of the passenger is? My guess is that to do practical and marketing reasons, the airlines have considered it but never found a way to make it work.

I'll have to ask my son who works as a financial analyst for AA in the flight operations area.
It could be a logistical reason or it could be the simple matter of airlines do not want to know what everyone weighs. It allows them to have a fixed "cost" when it comes to the weight of the airplane. Everyone weighs 190 pounds and their bags all weigh 25. Itmakes it MUCH easier to account for and forecast costs as it relates to weight. Even when ordering aircraft, they know the weight of each passenger occupying each seat. And then they can determine costs based on that weight. And the manufacturer builds the airplane based on a standard weight. And figures its useful load based on those standard weights. So it permeates the entire industry from the beginning of the product to the end product. It would not be advantageous in any way to do away with standard weights.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote