Flat or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon J

Guru
Vessel Name
Didi Mau
Vessel Make
Currently looking for next boat
We are getting ready to finish our boat paint job. Last step is the decks. We are using Awlgrip. The first coat was normal but looks too shiny. How shiny is the non-skid on a new boat? It has been 12 years since we bought a new boat. How shiny is typical new non-skid. If I paint it bright now, will it dull over time?

Thanks for any insights... I have until tomorrow morning to decide....

Gordon

He's our deck in January 2013 right after we finished on a sunny day using Alwlgrip with their non-skid additive and today (though partly cloudy). Yes, the smooth borders where shinny but I think the non-skid breaks up the light? I'm just guessing there since being too glossy hasn't been a problem.

Attachments

• non skid 3.jpg
    non skid 3.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Non skid 4.jpg
    Non skid 4.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 163
Can't directly answer your question, but...
13 years ago the cabin was replaced on my charter boat. All of the top sides were repainted. The original texturing that was molded in, had been repainted numerous times and couldn't be salvaged. So it was all sanded off and replaced with non skid top coated with Awlgrip. Can't tell you how many times I ended down on my a$$ from that slippery surface. I think it was 2 or 3 years before the slippery went away. I'll never repeat that mistake. Kiwigrip for me!

Ted

IMG_1168.JPGIMG_0004.JPGIMG_0339.JPG

This is an Awlgrip non skid applied on my boat two years ago. It's also on the swim platform and top of bulwarks around the cockpit where one is likely to step. It was a little shiny when new and has not dulled a lot. Never had a problem with it being slippery but I always wear deck shoes when I am outside because it is hot here in the south. I can imagine if you are barefoot and the deck is wet that it might loose some grip.

All, sorry, i was not clear. I wad talking about the molded non-skid that came on the boat.

Thanks to all who replied.

Gordon

How do you plan to prep the molded in non skid? Lightly sanding won't reach the bottom on the of the textured surface.

Ted

We repainted our molded non skid and now it is too slippery.
Next time I will grind it all flat and use non skid beads (or sand) mixed in the paint or gel coat.

Paint

Regarding awlgrip decks. Use awlgrip flattening agent. No shine. 25% works with the other ratios at 25% each. Keep it mixed very well during application and apply with a 1/4" nap roller. The finish comes out fairly flat and wear seems on par with non-flattened awlgrip finish.

I sanded off the diamond pattern non skid that had lots of defects and then painted with Kiwigrip. Plenty non skid now.

An abrasive cleanser

How do you plan to prep the molded in non skid? Lightly sanding won't reach the bottom on the of the textured surface.

Ted

I scoured the non-skid with an liquid abrasive - softcscrub- and primed with algrip primer.

"Next time I will grind it all flat and use non skid beads (or sand) mixed in the paint or gel coat."

The time after that , you may find sanding sand paint a chore.

Either use walnut shells or similar or stock up on silicon carbide floor sanding paper to sand off sand paint.

I scoured the non-skid with an liquid abrasive - softcscrub- and primed with algrip primer.

You should be fine, I think that's what Awlgrip recommends. The key is in the prep and the primer is pretty tenacious stuff. Make sure you prep the primer for the paint adequately. I've had to repair a few areas on the hull paint job under the cap rail where I didn't get good adhesion and it points to poor prep of the primer. :facepalm:

Decks should be Flat.
Otherwise their difficult to walk on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom