Tips on new shore power cords?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arctic Traveller wrote:GonzoF1 wrote:
Anyone using the Smart Plug rig?
*Yup, I converted last spring. I've seen too many burned up plugs, and if that happens at the boat inlet there is a good chance of a fire.* I like the fact that it's impossible for it to come loose, unlike the old style twist lock that seems to always be loose. It's also far more waterproof, much easier to plug in (no getting on my hands and knees in the dark to find the orientation of the blades) and has a built in over temp shutdown. I've never lost a shore power cord in 30 years, but if I do, I have the old connectors as spares until I can get a replacement.* It's a great solution to a common and possibly deadly problem..............Arctic Traveller

******* I just bought one but haven't installed it yet. The old twist & turn plug has been**

******* around since 1938. It's always loose.

Attachments

• smart plug.jpg
    smart plug.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 60
Here's one. I spray my sockets and plugs about quarterly with corrosion block which keeps this from happening. I do plan to switch to the smart plugs on the boat at some point.

Attachments

• plug-1037-300x200.jpg
    plug-1037-300x200.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 138
A simple but perhaps not cheap is to insure any plug fire would be on the dock, and not on the boat.

Use a 240V 50A setup ( inlet and power hose) to the boat with a plug adapter to the 30A 120v dock supply.

Boats that require one or two 240V power hoses can only try to purchase the best quality deck inlets and power plug ends.

Arctic Traveller wrote:
*Yup, I converted last spring. I've seen too many burned up plugs, and if that happens at the boat inlet there is a good chance of a fire.
Just converted to the "Smart Plug" today. Easy install, great looking and a high quality product. One potential problem, however, is if you forget to unplug it from the boat before backing out, you may take the whole damn dock with you! This plug locks in 4 different ways!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 03:16:42 PM

Attachments

• smart plug.jpg
    smart plug.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom