Mainship propshaft Anode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
I noticed that I don't have a prop shaft anode on my 400 Mainship, is there one suppose to be there?

Anyone have a part no?

Can't say if you had/need one or not, but shaft zincs are mostly just selected by shaft diameter (AFAIK). Boatzincs.com is said to be a decent source, and they do have some decent reference material on their site...

-Chris

Check to see if your boat has shaft brushes. I made and installed brushes years ago on my Silverton. This removed the necessity for shaft anodes with the shafts securely bonded to the boats bonding system. I do have a large, bonded aluminum anode mounted on the transom, the only anode used on my boat.

Last edited:
Check to see if your boat has shaft brushes. I made and installed brushes years ago on my Silverton. This removed the necessity for shaft anodes with the shafts securely bonded to the boats bonding system. I do have a large, bonded aluminum anode mounted on the transom, the only anode used on my boat.

Not familiar with shaft brushes, but the look pretty simple. Install and ground? Worth it? But looks like one needs a place to mount them securely. I don't have any on my boat.

Would an anode be easier and just replace every now and then? Dirt simple.

Can't say if you had/need one or not, but shaft zincs are mostly just selected by shaft diameter (AFAIK). Boatzincs.com is said to be a decent source, and they do have some decent reference material on their site...

-Chris

Ranger42

Killer prices, THANKS! They are less than my marine discounted prices by over 50%. Great.

I am not advocating anything pertaining to bonding/anodes. The specifics of how one protects exposed metals is entirely up the boat's owner. My suggestion to look for shaft brushes was meant to provide a possible reason why your boat lacked shaft anodes which from your post would refer to a prior owner's choice.

I did go on to briefly explain how my boat is bonded for galvanic corrosion protection. In my case, I leave nothing to guess work. I test my bonding about twice each season, sometimes more. My tests involve measuring various exposed metal's voltages to my silver-silver chloride half cell which gets immersed in the water.

Enjoy your boat and stay safe. :thumb:

My Mainship 370 has an anode on each prop shaft (2") and then one big plate on the transom. Doing magnesium lately since we're in fresh water.

Ranger42

Killer prices, THANKS! They are less than my marine discounted prices by over 50%. Great.

If your order is $100 or more the shipping is free.

I am familiar with tapered shaft zincs. My new to me NT does not have a long shaft but the yard put on a "collar" zinc in the space available. Learn something new everyday. IMG_2577.jpgIMG_2578.jpg

Severe, my Mainship is a different model and year then yours (2004 Pilothouse Sedan). But I can tell you that I have 2 zincs on each of my shafts. It was that way when I purchased her and I have continued to keep it that way. Perhaps it might be a bit of overkill but I like having 2 in case one should fall off somehow. I go under the boat several times a year in take a look and I also use a DMM and the silver chloride half cell. I also have the transom zinc, trim tab zincs, and bow thruster zinc. Nothing on the rudders but my rudders are connected from the interior to the bonding system. Like I said earlier, this is the way the boat was when I bought her.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom