USS Gabrielle Giffords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The politization of the USN's ship naming is pathetic. Sailors must be so proud to sew on their John Murtha patch on their uniform. The Gabby Gifford is a USNS ship, so only marginally laughable.

Gabby was my representative when she was shot. Glad they are naming a ship for her. She has made a heroic recovery.

The politization of the USN's ship naming is pathetic. Sailors must be so proud to sew on their John Murtha patch on their uniform. The Gabby Gifford is a USNS ship, so only marginally laughable.

It's you that is slanted. I didm't even think of that. Watching too much TV?

Niot sure that it is a USNSvessel, but my son who just got out of the Navy said the whole littoral mission of the Navy is very suspe ct from within.

I wasn't expecting my original post to stir the pot politically. I just thought the ship was a cool and futuristic design.
But I'm sure people will be miffed in equal numbers by the naming of the future USS Barack Obama and the USS Donald Trump. (Both carriers...one powered by solar, and the other by coal.)

The Gabby Gifford is a USNS ship, so only marginally laughable.

USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS-10) is an Independence-class littoral combat ship of the United States Navy. The ship was delivered to the U.S. Navy on 23 December 2016. She was COMMISSIONED on 10 June 2017 (yesterday) in Galveston, Texas.

Commissioned Navy vessels and craft are called "United States Ship" or "U.S.S. or USS"

In service but non-commissioned Navy vessels and craft are called "United States Naval Ship" or "U.S.N.S. or USNS"

In service but non-commissioned Navy vessels and craft are called "United States Naval Ship" or "U.S.N.S. or USNS"[/QUOTE]

No, USNS ships are Auxilliarie ships, research vessels , AO's, AOE's Supply ships. A ship is not in service if it isn't commisiioned. Just my take from 22 years in the Navy (Ret.) I am currently working as a civilian on a USNS vessel as we speak.

CDreamer;562726But I'm sure people will be miffed in equal numbers by the naming of the future USS Barack Obama and the USS Donald Trump. (Both carriers...one powered by solar said:
Ba-da-boom! OK, that's funny!

I think you are 100% dead wrong.

The ship was named after a United States Congresswoman who was shot in the line of duty.

She should be honored, and frankly I could care less about which side of the isle she sat on in congress.

The naming of ships like our own boats can be emotional.

I for one loved tbe 210 foot Reliance class USCG cutter names.

Reliance, Diligence, Dependable, Vigorous, Vigilant,.......etc...names thst when I was aboard actually stirred emotion.

If the cutter was USCGC Munro, or USCGC Hamilton...named after hugely brave Medal of Honor winners or founding fathers...the same.

While being shot in the line of duty is one thing....how many in the US can claim that?

Not saying why....but in my mind...what were they doing to get shot? Did they purposly put themselves in harms way?

People who serve on these vessels have to have an overwhelming sense of pride to be underpaid, away from home and in harms way and do the job well and want to serve.

I did it and pride overcomes a lot of inequalities of capitalism and patriotism.

Can't say it's a bad name, but how many other possibilities were out there to REALLY inspire a crew that didn't fall into todays workd of self centeredness and instant gratification?

I sat on awards boards much of my career, tough decisions, but I was always called the hard a** .

That was because I forced the boards to consider the past and future against the "current" stsndard...bigger things than touchy feely ...right now good times.

I can only hope the crews can get behind the name, no going back now. But without crew enthusiasm, no ship of the line will pull her weight.

Last edited:
From recent family experience I can tell you that among the approximately 5500 total Ships Crew/Air Wing on the carrier Ronald Reagan, about 50% were far left-of-center politically and had an unfavorable opinion of the ship's namesake and the military in general. They only care about the GI Bill as a means to an end (college funding). So I'm not sure the name Gabrielle Giffords is going to be worse in terms of motivation.

My mistake - Giffords is commissioned (USS) vice auxillary (USNS).

Ms. Giffords suffered immensely and has managed a remarkable and very tough recovery.

My gripe is about the highjacking of the ship naming process by political hacks. I find the Ford, Regan, and Milk, all equally offensive. Then we go from the sublime to the ridiculous in naming an LPD after John Murtha - the guy who publicly tried and convicted the Haditha Marines - well in advance of any fact finding by the USMC. Actual results - 6 cases dropped due to complete lack of evidence and one reduction in grade for dereliction of duty - not murder.

Hyman G. Rickover should get a good bit of the blame for starting this - naming submarines for people rather than aquatic species under the theory the "Fish don't vote."

What happened to Ticonderoga, Valley Forge, etc. for capital ships? Guess they don't vote, either. Mabus at least conceded to name some smaller ships for exceptional military figures: Basilone, Sullivans, etc.

From recent family experience I can tell you that among the approximately 5500 total Ships Crew/Air Wing on the carrier Ronald Reagan, about 50% were far left-of-center politically and had an unfavorable opinion of the ship's namesake and the military in general. They only care about the GI Bill as a means to an end (college funding). So I'm not sure the name Gabrielle Giffords is going to be worse in terms of motivation.

Maybe it started before that ship was even named...and the process it was named

My son just got off that ship too....and he agrees the average young en listed man these days left a lot to be desired and he got out.

My nephew got out of the Marines for the same reason...he had been one of the first into Afghanistan.

I was lucky...I worked with top notch guys in USCG Aviation. From seaman up...but many on the cutters I flew off of somewhat reflected the public cross section.

My observation always has been.... when the powers to be, thought money and giveaways were the answer to recruitment and retention...they were the problem with leadership.

And I don't blame the senior officers that had to make it work...maybe they had little else to work with....

But I will say.....since the beginning of the US Navy and USCG, ships with pride more than just included the ships name in their feelings, duty and actions.

Just can't see honoring someone who's total focus is to take away one of the highest priority rights given to all Americans by the Constitution. Every time this ships crew fires a weapon at an enemy, they cannot help but reflect that their namesake would prefer they be disarmed.
A hospital ship would have been honorable and more fitting. my 2 cents

Come on you guys. The OP was commenting on seeing and touring this magnificent ship. Keep the personnel views/politics out of it please. Thanks in advance.

Just can't see honoring someone who's total focus is to take away one of the highest priority rights given to all Americans by the Constitution. Every time this ships crew fires a weapon at an enemy, they cannot help but reflect that their namesake would prefer they be disarmed.
A hospital ship would have been honorable and more fitting. my 2 cents

Funny post which seems to suggest that the second amendment applies to the Navy.

I wasn't expecting my original post to stir the pot politically. I just thought the ship was a cool and futuristic design.
But I'm sure people will be miffed in equal numbers by the naming of the future USS Barack Obama and the USS Donald Trump. (Both carriers...one powered by solar, and the other by coal.)

Now that's funny. No matter what party you are.
[emoji23][emoji41][emoji23][emoji41][emoji23]

Naming a ship, or anything else for that matter, should be reserved for people that made the ultimate sacrifice and gave their life in service to the Country, State or Town where they lived. It is an enduring and long lasting sign of respect. If you want the chance to have something named after you when you die then serve. Military, Police, Fire, something along these lines but leave the typical politician out. Let's not turn naming things into "everyone has to get a trophy."

Well...to continue the theme....

Dying isnt heroism, neither is getting shot, nor is just serving.

Anyone ever in those shoes who have pissed their pants or have had the shakes after a mission knows what I mean.

Those that put themselves in that situation on purpose day after day are the worthy ones...whether dead, shot or otherwise.

That is the reason people swell with pride to follow a namesake.

But they can swell with pride serving a ship of any name if the leadership gives that ship the mission, time, material, funding, training and leadership it needs to excel.

Something I saw in the military slowly dissolve by the 1990s for all sorts of reasons.

Psneeld, you stated much better what I was trying to say in regards to service.
What the crew does and how they conduct themselves on a day to day basis and when it comes to missions and accomplishments falls on the the shoulders of the Officers of that ship and is not usually a direct result of the Ships' name.

Back
Top Bottom