Lake Okeechobee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did it in a blow boat in '03 solo and really enjoyed it. Will be doing it again in May on our way to the Abacos. The waterway will be closed mid May for 8 weeks.

Crossed the lake in Sep 12... great cruise... picked up the 34 Mainship in Ft Myers; overnight in Clewiston @ Martin's... nice place - OK restruant - very local typical atmosphere - friendly natives... early launch the next morning; crossed the lake; no problems; slight wind out of NE; Stuart by 3pm... locks were easy - only one was timed, others on demand; light traffic both ways - lock on east end of lake was a drive through... Connected to AICW; overnight in Eau Gally; New Smyrna (home) by 3:30pm.... great trip - reply if you have questions..

Earl

You might want to get ready to wear a brown mustache. I've been here in Stuart Landing Marina for a couple of weeks (on the St. Lucie) and the Army Corps water releases coming down river from the Lake look more like septic tank releases. No real bad smell, but a bacterial warning has been issued and you'll have to plow through lots of unsavory brown suds. Keep an eye on engine and gennie temp, cuz I've fished a lot of plastic bags out of the current just standing on the bank. If you have to clean out any thru-hulls or baskets, don't lick your fingers. :facepalm:

I've been across westbound in 2009 and again in 2010 no problems either time, water levels were ok.
I have friends, ex customers, in the sugar industry there so spent some time with them. Have stayed at Roland Martins, Moorhaven city dock, and the State park dock near Ortona and FF's dock all good.
Steve W

You might want to get ready to wear a brown mustache.

Lake O' is a lake ! , and is filled with leaves from the nearby trees.

This caused tannin in the water , so its brown since the lake was created.

Even the drinking water miles away and 150 ft down is filled with tannin.

Wear it with pride, I wish mine had one, been in port too long.
Steve W

Back
Top Bottom