Intercom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denverd0n

Guru
Wondering if any of you have an intercom for communication between the flybridge and inside -- cabin, steering station, whatever? If so, what sort of equipment are you using?

Thanks.

We have a three channel wired intercom between the flying bridge, saloon, and aft stateroom. Never use it because we rarely use the flying bridge while under way.

My daughter was with us last weekend. She was on the flying bridge and I was driving from the lower helm. I heard a buzz sound. I initially thought it was an alarm from the radar. Turned out to be Jenny calling me on the intercom! Works great, just don't have much of a use for the contraption!

Each of our staterooms, the crew quarters and the flybridge have an intercom that communicates with the master unit at the pilot house helm. So, it really only works to talk to someone at that master station, but the slave units can initiate the communication. We use it mostly at night, when we are always running from the pilot house anyway, to give shift change reminders, but I also use it to talk with the pilot house helm from my stateroom, where I have a redundant radar and chart display. Theoretically, whoever is at the help could call me if need be, but that never seems to happen.

On my last boat, we had telephone type intercoms (any station could call any station), but we never used it.

Yes, not sure what brand or model though. I use the flybridge most of the time but don't really use it apart from when the wife is below and I want something up - and to get our guests out of their bunk for breakfast!

It is duplex and there is a phone in the PH, FB behind a glass door, Galley/Salon, both cabins and in the lazarette right by the door to the ER.

Attachments

• P1000078.jpg
    P1000078.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 90
  • P1000117.JPG
    P1000117.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 79
  • P1000129.JPG
    P1000129.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 95
  • P1000093.JPG
    P1000093.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 92
  • P1000053.jpg
    P1000053.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 100
I just use the VHF radio. Have one at each station.

Menzies, that looks very similar to what I have. We have had a few of the locations fail on us. We don't use it often but occasionally it is handy to have. If you know what it is (High Wire thinks it is a Newmar?) I would be interested to know as I have no information on the system so am at a loss on how to troubleshoot it.

We used to use FRS radios.

Now I guess we could call on our smart phones.

Or a text as it would get more action from my crew.

Maybe a tweet to be Presidential.

Menzies, that looks very similar to what I have. We have had a few of the locations fail on us. We don't use it often but occasionally it is handy to have. If you know what it is (High Wire thinks it is a Newmar?) I would be interested to know as I have no information on the system so am at a loss on how to troubleshoot it.

The OP kept files on EVERYTHING in hard wooden boxes. I never had a need to look at the intercom information, but will pull that file over the weekend and let you know.

we are using portable Motorola radio, waterproof, float if falls overboard, and for the size of our boat it is perfect. Mainly using it when anchoring or to warn my wife when a brain-dead cruiser is badly waking us while she is inside.

L.

My boat came with a 6 station telephone type intercom system as original equipment. There was even a station in the ER.

I ripped it out, 5 steps or so will get me close enough to anyone without needing to raise my voice! The boat is designed as owner-operator, and the intercom to me was superyacht pretension and complete nonsense.

My boat came with a 6 station telephone type intercom system as original equipment. There was even a station in the ER.

I ripped it out, 5 steps or so will get me close enough to anyone without needing to raise my voice! The boat is designed as owner-operator, and the intercom to me was superyacht pretension and complete nonsense.

I understand your thought process. However, I have found that it can be helpful to be able to communicate from the FB (on those rare occasions I use it) to the saloon.

I have a handset for this intercom (added by the PO) on the FB, PH, forward cabin, head, and galley. I have yet to find a need for the head or cabin.

I have one. On the FB it lives in a locker, so there is a speaker up on the dash that always gets my attention. Useful for learning that lunch is sitting on the name board base (above the wheelhouse door). Also for the occasional "where are you?" if SWMBO hasn't seen me for a while. The lower station is handy to the helm, but unless you're right there, can't be heard above engine noise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom