Barkley Lock versus Kentucky Lock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Starting in about a week, I am going to be at Green Turtle Bay waiting for conditions to be favorable for a transit up the Mississippi. I am seeing long delays at Kentucky Lock for commercial traffic up to 6 hours, but no delays at Barkley on the Cumberland right next to GTB. The run from GTB to the Ohio from GTB via the Cumberland is 20 miles longer than through Kentucky Lock. At my 7 MPH cruise speed that is not insignificant, but would be faster than a 6 hour delay at Kentucky Dam.

Most commercial traffic uses the KY. lock so Barkley is the way to go. The nice thing is you can call the lock before you untie at GTB to be sure there is no wait. You may get lucky and find a slow time at Ky. lock, maybe on a weekend, but I didn't see many in the year we were at GTB.

Don't know the status of the new marina in Paducah but it would make for a good stop before heading toward the Mississippi. Don't forget about possible delays at Lock 52 & Olmstead. These can really slow your progress and anchorages in the area are few. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

https://www.ingrambarge.com/resc.php?RiverConditions#

Last edited:
Barkley is the way for recreational boats to go. 52 and 53 running short delays right now, but that can change at any moment. Just be prepared for whatever changes take place and have an alternate plan for your schedule.

Back
Top Bottom