TT's Electric "Service Entry"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHeckrotte

Guru
Vessel Name
Revel
Vessel Make
1984 Fu Hwa 39
While a majority of design elements on our Fu Hwa please us greatly, I can only wonder why the 30 AMP service entry is right at the steps leading from the side deck to the fore deck and just forward of the helm door and immediately adjacent to the railing gate. The original entry is there and the 'Phone Connection' is directly above; the phone entry has been converted to a second 30 AMP service entry for the AC.

This means my habitually ill-placed 13Ds, and feet belonging to everybody else tangle in the extension cords, and knock the plugs loose.

Well, they're there because it's adjacent to the under-helm space and the distribution panels. And there's no moving 'em conveniently.

So I was gonna' post here and ask if there were cords with flatter plugs. Glad I didn't, I Googled instead: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55522-Standard-Locking-PowerGrip/dp/B005BNZHTA

Bought two.

Hope it lays the way you want it when plugged in. Hard to tell from the photo.

Greetings,
Better idea but would be even BETTER if the female end was straight instead of 90 degrees.

You're right, Archie; it will be entirely dependent on the gods to see that the plugs align appropriately. OTOH, the plug in the boat might be susceptible to being rotated to taste.

You're right, RTF; the mfr is trying to meet both needs at once but it should be possible to replace the offending end's fitting with a straight one.

Greetings,
Oops...30M/30F AMP Marine, Locking Adapter PowerGrip 90 Deg 18" - Camco

55617_out_b-934x1024.png

From this page...http://www.camco.net/category/rv/rv-electrical/page/2/

The boat side male can be rotated 90* because of its square mount, but the hinge wont be on top anymore. Can't remember if it can be rotated and reassembled within the housing.:confused:

Looks like a good solution. I hope it works well for you, Deckie. Keep an eye on temp rise at the connections. Regular treatment with a corrosion inhibitor would help assure good contacts on the multiple plugs.

I did not confess before, but the Camco adapters I bought were for locking 30 Amp to ordinary residential 30 amp. Both ends were 90 deg. I bought straight locking 30 amp plugs, cut the offending plugs off, and all's well. I'll buy Marinco's covers for a more watertight installation. They don't appear to have covers that accept the threaded nuts on the cordsets.

As for orientation of the boat's connections, one was fine and the other was not. Then ensued about two hours effort to disassemble the connection and rotate it 60 deg and reassemble.

Attachments

• IMG_3128.jpg
    IMG_3128.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 58
Ahh, yes. Several such tapes for electrical work. Self fusing, self vulcanizing.

Ahh, yes. Several such tapes for electrical work. Self fusing, self vulcanizing.
Yes, Rescue of course uses the name as a marketing tool to justify the cost. There are lots of self fusing tapes on the market.

"Rescue of course uses the name as a marketing tool to justify the cost."

Just as Gorilla Glue does to justify 2X - 3X the price of PL glue.

Get mine at Uline for about 1/3 of Rescue's price.

I had an old roll of non-Rescue brand self-fusing silicone tape sitting around the house that I used yesterday to repair a leaking garden hose. All went well until I got deep into the roll and it was very hard and brittle. It had turned to junk sitting in my garage for several years.

All the Rescue-brand tape is still fine. I'm sold on Rescue Tape.

BTW, I pick it up periodically at local outdoor-fishing-camping shows. They have a booth selling at a discount each year. IIRC, I think it's a 50% discount.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom