Old 06-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #15
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"(I would size it for a 3% loss)"

If speedy charging is desire the least loss the better.
Fat wires are good for multiple amps .

For most folks what counts is the completeness of the charge (100%+full) and that is done with tiny amps over a long time , 3% to 5% is fine, fat wire does not help.
Fred

Your input is always interesting. Thought I'd say the following; for comment.

I keep an "emergency" completely isolated 27 LA starter batt in it's own black single batt box. This batt has come into emergency use twice over the last 9 years, each time it's been needed to replace some other batt. I then replace it with a brand new batt. Constantly attached to the emergency batt is a 1 amp trickle charger that is powered whenever boat's 110 AC breaker is turned on while at dock and/or when gen set is running. Boat's 110 does not usually run because we are not dock sitters, AC is never left on when away from boat, and, gen set runs 1.5 +/- hrs. her day when anchored.

What I want to mention: Multi meter reading on that batt reaches 15.8 while 1 amp charger has been on for an hour or so. And, of course after 110 is off for a day, the reading levels off at 12.7. What amazes me is that the batt gets to 15.8 reading after just a short period [1 hr. +/-] of 1 amp batt charging?? This does not reduce electrolyte count and I've never needed to add distilled water... even after several years.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote