Headset/Communicator Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mragan

Vessel Name
Steadfast
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
Looking for recommendations on some sort of wireless communicator/headsets to help during docking etc.

I did try the search function with limited success.

Thanks

Headset/Communicator Recomendations

Another vote for the Sena SPH10 headsets. We have been using them for almost a year and they are fantastic. They have worked well not only for docking and anchoring, but also when we have sent a crew out in the dinghy to do a stern tie on shore. I was able to be up in the flybridge speaking normally discussing a good stern tie location while the crew was in the dinghy with the engine running, waves lapping, sibling talking, 50 years away from me.

I think they are about $180 each. Avoid buying them from a marine store, you will just pay more (from what I found). Sena makes gear for motorcyclists so they perform well in noisy environments.

Edit: Disregard my comment about not buying from a marine source. I just checked that link to Cruising Solutions and see they are now selling the Sena SPH10 for $180. A year ago they were asking a premium.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Sena SPH10 headsets. We have been using them for almost a year and they are fantastic. They have worked well not only for docking and anchoring, but also when we have sent a crew out in the dinghy to do a stern tie on shore. I was able to be up in the flybridge speaking normally discussing a good stern tie location while the crew was in the dinghy with the engine running, waves lapping, sibling talking, 50 years away from me.

I think they are about $180 each. Avoid buying them from a marine store, you will just pay more (from what I found). Sena makes gear for motorcyclists so they perform well in noisy environments.

Edit: Disregard my comment about not buying from a marine source. I just checked that link to Cruising Solutions and see they are now selling the Sena SPH10 for $180. A year ago they were asking a premium.
Dinghy crew fifty years away from you? Was that a Freudian slip?

Lol, just a typing fail. The dinghy crew was actually 50 yards and 25 years away from me.
LOL. Twenty-five, so that means you've been finally getting smarter for the last couple years. You'll keep getting smarter for the next few too.

I just bought these-Cruising solutions matches a proven internet price ( and, if u r a previous customer of CS, may offer a further discount)

I had a set that was voice activated. Not a good feature because wind noise over rode the voice control meaning that the other person could not talk. Duplex will be better than simplex if possible so that one person can interrupt the other if necessary.

They are a great for keeping track of the other person when they go below or are out of sight for some reason.

Question,

Do these headsets tie into music for background noise, and into a cell phone?

Nope, they are dedicated for vox communications.

Thought I'd bring this thread up again.....

Are there other options that work and not quite so pricey? Perhaps a phone bluetooth earpiece and use the phone for communication with it in your pocket?

ALL,

Still shopping for headsets... questions:

Looking at the Sena, does the band go around the back of your head, does it stay on when your throwing lines?

Also, of the products mentioned, do you have to carry a transmitter box in your pocket? With a wire, it would be a pita.

Seems like there would be a bluetooth earpiece with mic solution out there that would be very easy to wear, no wires and be fine.

Other solutions?

Thx

Mobile phone, ear buds with mic.
Make a call.

Go fancy pants and use Bluetooth earpiece.

ALL,

Looking at the Sena, does the band go around the back of your head, does it stay on when your throwing lines?

Also, of the products mentioned, do you have to carry a transmitter box in your pocket? With a wire, it would be a pita.

Seems like there would be a bluetooth earpiece with mic solution out there that would be very easy to wear, no wires and be fine.

Other solutions?

Thx

The Eartec UL2S is wireless, all contained in the headset. Comfortable and very easy to use. We love them, although they're a bit pricey. $335 per pair on Amazon.

Paul

Yup. SIMI nailed it.
K.I.S.S.
Pretty simple solution.

Couple of other options as well:

Motorola has been providing LE/Military and other industry communications solutions for decades:

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/e...o-accessories/audio-accessories/headsets.html

We used a standard bone mike/earpiece in tactical operations. Wasn't Bluetooth but tucked neatly out of the way in use.

Grainger:

https://www.grainger.com/category/t...-and-police-scanners/security/ecatalog/N-1835

Eartech:
(I kind of like these for the simplicity and reasonable cost) *EDIT* Apparently so does Drake:) ).

UltraLITE
All in one, no belt pack, multiple simultaneous user capabilities.

We also used Simpson Racing Headsets on our airboat rescue and training team.
Not bad. A little bulky, and extremely pricey!
Ours were wired to the console, but I think they have wireless options as well.

HTH

OD

Last edited:
ALL,

Other solutions?

Thx

Sena;
Yes it goes around behind the head.
Yes it stays on, bending over, throwing lines, etc..
No transmitter or wire with the Sena
Sena is a Bluetooth, no-wire solution.

I can't tell you how fantastic they have been. I've used them for a year so far.

I can vouch for Senate as well. I have been using a set of SMH10 on my bike for 3 or 4 years now and am quite satisfied. They accommodate music and phone calls as well as intercom. I'm sure the stand alone version for mariners is quite similar.

We tried smartphones with earbuds - not as simple as it sounds getting the apps to work reliably, and some issues with mic pickup in wind.

Bought the Eartec set which is very simple, reliable and extremely easy to set up and use. Great for docking, anchoring, mooring, stern lines, etc. Love 'em...

We tried the Sena, but range was very limited, nothing like they said. I thought it must have been a defective unit. They sent two more. Same result.

Went Eartec, they are fantastic. Some people call them "divorce insurance."

We tried the Sena, but range was very limited, nothing like they said. I thought it must have been a defective unit. They sent two more. Same result.

Went Eartec, they are fantastic. Some people call them "divorce insurance."

WE have eartec too, excellent. however before them we adapted a pair of kids toy walkie talkie headsets bought from a street market in England for £20. All that was needed was to adapt the over the head' headband to fit an adult head. We did this by cutting the band and taping in a ladies headband as the extension piece. The original set had two earpiece muffs but only worked on one ( mono). IIRC they came in varuious toy disguises, one of which was 'John Deere' tractors livery so maybe exist in the USA too. They were simultaneous speech not like a normal transmitter so no need to switch from send to recive or say 'over' Worked just fine if looking a bit goofy! You could saywhatever without announcing to the world sat large that a big domestic was getting underway... Get that ******* line on NOW!:D

I can vouch for Senate as well. I have been using a set of SMH10 on my bike for 3 or 4 years now and am quite satisfied. They accommodate music and phone calls as well as intercom. I'm sure the stand alone version for mariners is quite similar.

They are exactly the same as the helmet sets just with a headband.

We tried smartphones with earbuds - not as simple as it sounds getting the apps to work reliably, and some issues with mic pickup in wind.

What app?
You are simply making a phone call.

For Aussies, Uniden radios are great but their headsets were a POS, and their service, unusually for them, gets a similar rating.

You are simply making a phone call.

There are a couple of apps that allow bluetooth transmission between phones when you are out of cell range - which we often are...

Back
Top Bottom