What to do when you run into bad weather?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to everyone for all for the advice.

With lightening storms, should I take any special precautions. I've heard of folks putting electronics in the oven? Should I put on my rubber soled running shoes? [emoji51]

Phones, laptops, pads, Epirb/PLB maybe....one can get carried away and the oven usually isnt that big. More because you dont want the hassel of losing info or emergency equipment.

Radios and other nav equipment, disconnecting wiring and antennas from them is often recommended.

As far as rubber shoes, just stay inside and away from conducting surfaces and you should be OK if your heart doest stop if the boat is struck.

A 30% chance of thunderstorms, winds SE 10-15kts, seas 2-3ft. This forecast starts from June through Sept. in our area of the Gulf from Texas to Florida. When cruising in open bays or right offshore you can sometimes see those thunderheads building and the direction they're moving, slow down and hold course until they move off. The worse weather I've been in are those pop-up thunderstorms; lightning, winds over 60kts, blinding rain. Traveling at 8kts they can build up and overtake you very quickly, sometimes you just can't avoid them traveling in open water. When I'm caught with nowhere to hide I batten down everything I can, point the bow into the weather (heave to) and keep a very slow forward speed until conditions improve about all you can do. My biggest fear is lightning. Several times in these storms we have lost electronics because of close by strikes...I touch nothing metal and wear shoes with lightning in the area. Antennas are placed down and any fishing poles are brought in. I hate thunderstorms!

Compared to the miles of air insulation the lightning has to cross, jumping an inch of rubber is not a problem.

Maybe my new shoes will help. [emoji23]
IMG_0200.JPG

Phones, laptops, pads, Epirb/PLB maybe....one can get carried away and the oven usually isnt that big. More because you dont want the hassel of losing info or emergency equipment.

Radios and other nav equipment, disconnecting wiring and antennas from them is often recommended.

As far as rubber shoes, just stay inside and away from conducting surfaces and you should be OK if your heart doest stop if the boat is struck.

What about those faraday bags you can buy? Do they really protect?

On my crossing just a few days ago, I encountered a water spout. Forecast weather on many different sites had no mention of any kind of weather but clear calm conditions. I took a picture which I would love to post. It was approx. 5 miles away to my north and never touched down. I watched it closely, stayed on course and ran at about 9 knots, up from about 8 knots. It never produced any rain, rough seas, wind, etc. I passed it quickly. Never once was I nervous about it but respected it.

No matter what conditions are forecasted, staying vigil is key and changing course if necessary. It is easy to become complacent when on autopilot. Eyes wide open!

Never have seen faraday bags....was wondering if just wrapping in grounded aluminum foil would work....have to make notevto self to investigate.

Flying USCG helos out of Miami, we would see dozens of surface disturbances that looked like the water dirt Devils WXX3 described ....all the time. They were below the most vertical of the puffy clouds you always see down there over the warm waters and right conditions.

Most of tbe time we would see and avoid them...but every once and awhile, we would fly though them and get jostled around a bit, but not severe. Definitely not of the same class as a true water spout.

In all my years on or over the water, I can't say I have seen more than a dozen or so water spouts of the magnitude of a destructive tornado.

Greetings,
Mr. ps. "... just wrapping in grounded aluminum foil would work...". I'd give a dollar to see that.

200.gif

RTF.....We need more than a few of those hats for the SE forum get together this winter.

For some, I bet in the mornings, they could use one for a jump start.

I am sure Irv (Bigfish) would gladly fire up his genset if dockpower couldn't handle the amps.

"PS, for you, as an Aviator, having t fly a hundred + miles the route forecast and overall conditions are going to be very good."

The motto at airline dispatch for most commercial folks is,

"Why check the weather , were going anyway".

Not the best procedure for a small boat operator.

When you run into unexpected rough seas, is when you use your boat handling, and captains skills.

Look for lee sides of islands, tack back and forth, or just tough it out.

Batten down the hatches, clear the counters, latch the cupboards closed, and most of all be the confident captain that your passengers think you are. :)

Kevin is 100% correct.

Recently Pairadice (PoD) and ASD crossed Dixon Entrance. Every weather app we had was wrong. We had 6-7 foot SSW seas, with 35kts+ west winds.

Based on past experience, we had everything lashed, tied and bungeed down. I did forget two propane bottles that became a great concern. I was able to lash them down, but it made for some tense moments.

PoD headed straight into the wind and got into the lee side of Duke Island. I was able to work my way up the inlet. The further I got into the inlet, the more things started to lay down.

We were never scared, just very very uncomfortable.

When we say “bad” weather, the worst of it for boaters is wind, but several have addressed thunderstorms, so I will, too. While TRWs can cause some nasty wind, it’s rarely threatening to a boat other that a lousy ride for a short time….. but can be, so we need to be prepared.

If we lived in the southeast over to Texas we could avoid all TRWs but we wouldn’t be boating much for 6 months. They are not really hard to deal with. We can’t outrun them but we can maneuver to somewhat avoid them….maybe. For me, on the west coast of Florida, I just ride them out for the most part. There often isn’t room in the intercoastal to maneuver much, and I’m not running off shore to avoid them. Fortunately the air mass afternoon TRWs rarely cause any damage, and normally are not a threat to boaters. You may get wet and cold (or hot if you’re on the enclosed fly bridge without air). And you may have a rocky ride for a bit, but they don’t last long.

Also, storms just don’t “happen”… they don’t just sneak up on us. The conditions that produce storms and especially tornados is quite predictable, and we can get that info in advance, and within 24 hours the predictions are pretty close.

Psneeld mentioned the stability index, called the lifted index. Also is the K index. Both give a good prediction of TRWs. Below are the two charts:

Unisys Weather - Lifted Index - Current

Unisys Weather - K Index - Current

To interpret these charts is pretty easy:

Lifted/K Index
The Lifted/K Index chart is updated twice daily at approximately 0330Z (00Z data) and 1530Z (12Z Data). The Lifted/K Index chart combines two indices commonly used to measure atmospheric instability and the related potential for thunderstorm development. The first, the Lifted Index (upper number), is a measure of the chance of severe thunderstorms. It is the difference between the observed 500 mb temperature and the temperature that a parcel of air would have if lifted from the boundary layer to the 500 mb level. If the temperature at 500 mb is warmer than the parcel lifted to that level, the air is stable and the chance of thunderstorms is low; if the temperature at 500 mb is colder than the parcel lifted to that level, the air is unstable and thunderstorms are likely. The difference in temperature is directly related to the chance of severe thunderstorms.

Lifted Index Chance of Severe Thunderstorms
0 to -2 Weak
-3 to -5 Moderate
-6 or less Strong

The second index, the K Index (lower number), is a measure of the probability of airmass thunderstorms. It takes into account the temperature lapse rate between 850 mb and 500 mb, the amount of moisture at 850 mb, and the dryness of the air at 700mb.

K Index Thunderstorm Probabilty(%)
Less than 15 near 0
15 to 20 20
21 to 25 20 to 40
26 to 30 40 to 60>
31 to 35 60 to 80
36 to 40 80 to 90
Over 40> near 100

Another good chart to get a good idea of future weather is the aviation prog chart. Will give a good idea of fronts and weather 8 days out: (There’s a TON of additional weather products on that site, worth snooping around a bit)

AWC - Prog Charts

I use a lot of aviation stuff, because that’s where the bulk of the weather products are used. Weather stations are at airports, not marinas. I often wish the marinas would simply have a wind meter that we could get wind info with, which would be a good aid for docking.

Now, enough about storms. I’m a strong believer that the biggest threat to a boater is winds. And there’s a number of places we can get winds. Just monitoring the wx channel on VHF gives a pretty good idea, and off shore the buoy reports are good. Also for the off shore guys, Marv (from AGLCA, loopers) is good: marvs_weather_home_page

Other good wind sites:
https://www.windfinder.com/weather-maps/forecast/usa#6/27.811/-82.812
Tampa Bay Surf Report (STORMSURF)
https://www.windy.com

Now does anyone have a good Iphone app for winds that the text is large enough to read in a boat? All of the above are hard to read on an Iphone.

There’s no reason to be caught with our pants down in severe weather, unless we’re ocean passages makers like Richard on the Dauntless and others, and it’s difficult to do anything but ride it out. I’m not in that league.

Kevin is 100% correct.

Recently Pairadice (PoD) and ASD crossed Dixon Entrance. Every weather app we had was wrong. We had 6-7 foot SSW seas, with 35kts+ west winds.

Based on past experience, we had everything lashed, tied and bungeed down. I did forget two propane bottles that became a great concern. I was able to lash them down, but it made for some tense moments.

PoD headed straight into the wind and got into the lee side of Duke Island. I was able to work my way up the inlet. The further I got into the inlet, the more things started to lay down.

We were never scared, just very very uncomfortable.

About 15 years ago I heard seas 3-5 while sitting at Prince Rupert Yacht Club.

So we went...,

The Canadians measure seas in meters.

Won't make that mistake again.

About 15 years ago I heard seas 3-5 while sitting at Prince Rupert Yacht Club.

So we went...,

The Canadians measure seas in meters.

Won't make that mistake again.

It's not just the Canadians. It's the rest of the world.

See this is what I'm talking about. You check the weather, do your weather due diligence, and still get caught in unexpected weather.

Why do you worry about it? You have a protected climate controlled pilot house with armchairs and windshield wipers. People in open cockpit sailboats go through the same weather unprotected. Having to remove sails when the squal wind speed happens to be surprising 50 knots instead of 25 that you typically get and are prepared for. All that in a very dense and cold rain that "falls" sideways.

Was in some horrible conditions with a buddy of mine 60 miles offshore. He woke me up to tell me, "Any day is a great day to die if you're right with the Lord ." I told him to keep going as I wasn't there yet.

Simple advise, stay focused; do the best that you can with what you have; don't ever give up.

Ted

Why do you worry about it? You have a protected climate controlled pilot house with armchairs and windshield wipers. People in open cockpit sailboats go through the same weather unprotected. Having to remove sails when the squal wind speed happens to be surprising 50 knots instead of 25 that you typically get and are prepared for. All that in a very dense and cold rain that "falls" sideways.

I'm like a Boy Scout. Wanna be prepared.

Actually, when my wife looks over and says, "Ok genius, what do we do now?", I want to know WTF to do.

From what I understand, the US weather reports are very accurate. There are just so many data monitoring points, it makes forecasting much easier. I'd be very confident boating over there.

In comparison, when the weather systems are coming off the Southern Ocean, there is less data to forecast with. Also the weather systems are more extreme because of the lack of land mass. There are no "roaring forties" in North America. Whenever I look at Windy.com the US is basking in calmness, and the south coast of Australia has a series of threatening red and purple swirls passing by.

Relax, cardude. Your boat can handle whatever is getting dished out.

I'm just bored.

One thing that has not been mentioned is listen to your VHF. Hear what others are saying--you are usually not alone out there. Just this week we were heading south on Delaware Bay with a weather report of swells of 1 to 2 feet and winds to 10 kts. The conditions began to deteriorate and wave heights approached 5 feet.

A boat heading north called us on the VHF and said that they had turned around to head back to port as the waves further south were reaching 8 feet. We continued a bit further and conditions were worsening rapidly. We turned around and headed back to safe harbor. Had I not listened to the VHF we might have headed into a real mess.

I'm like a Boy Scout. Wanna be prepared.

Actually, when my wife looks over and says, "Ok genius, what do we do now?", I want to know WTF to do.

Then buy a small sailboat and train yourself. Seriously.

I was in the Fla Keys with some buds and a waterspout showed up. One dude was a bit on the crazy side and took his outboard skiff right into it, just to see what it was like. It bounced him around a good bit, but he motored out of it. For a while, then his engine stalled. 'Spout had sucked the half full six gal portable gas tank out of the boat, nowhere to be found. Otherwise, no damage.

It is called situational awareness. You need to be aware what is going on around you. Also you need to be comfortable handling your boat. Don't only go out on beautiful calm days. Get some experience with less than beautiful weather. Learn how to handle the boat in some medium waves to begin with and build your skill set. Then if you get stuck out in some bad weather you have the ability to handle the boat.

I was in the Fla Keys with some buds and a waterspout showed up. One dude was a bit on the crazy side and took his outboard skiff right into it, just to see what it was like. It bounced him around a good bit, but he motored out of it. For a while, then his engine stalled. 'Spout had sucked the half full six gal portable gas tank out of the boat, nowhere to be found. Otherwise, no damage.

Your buddy must be a very interesting person. How many person do you know that would be happy to go right on target just to see how it feels to be hammered down :D

L.

Another thread about a boat exploding has some Darwin references. The guy deliberately going into a water spout also qualifies for the Darwin Award. The problem is when people do stuff like this, usually someone has to come out to rescue them and stands into danger themselves as part of their job.

Late last year as we do almost every year we had bad storm cells during the day and sometimes at night.
Not much you can do but be prepared.
You can see them coming and track them on radar yet so many in their boats seem to not see them and are quite obviously caught off guard when they hit.

Had several that hit 50s and this memorable one.
I am no longer concerned about our anchoring technique after this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-13-19-10-09~01.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-13-19-10-09~01.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom