View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #20
Maerin
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
I received the letter this week, it is deceptive, the intent is deceit- why else would they create a WV return address? The mail is postmarked California, they use a lot of bureaucratic-sounding drivel and refer the recipient to their website, equally deceptive.

It may be legal, that doesn't make it righteous. They do have a disclaimer that they are a third party agent, but it's phrased in a way that doesn't really indicate that the recipient has the choice to use the USCG site: "...Use of our process requires payment of a service fee in addition to the government renewal application fee. " Further on... "You are under no obligation to utilize our firm's service.

So while they are probably exactly within the law, the business model is based on sleight- if they were honest and forthcoming that they're charging a premium to provide a service that is unnecessary, they'd fail.

I did file a complaint with USPS because the mailing is deceptive and has the intent of creating the illusion that the recipient is dealing with an official US government agency. It's not likely to have any impact, but something about a business that operates on the shady side compels me to act. Enough complaints may result in action that will compel them to be more honest and save a fellow boater the hassle of dealing with this underhanded schmuck.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote