I've come to realise that I need a trawler - what should I look at on a tight budget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bearhair

Well,*we recently moved to the north coast of British Columbia, just south of the BC-Alaska border.* I've always been used to outboard powered runabouts in the mid 20' range for day fishing.* Up her, the cruising possibilities are endless being able to go north to Alaska, south down the inside passage, or west to Haida Gwaii.* I've done some fuel burn/cost calculations on getting a sportfisher type boat like and what an eye opener.

So the question I have has probably been discussed here many times over.* What should*I be looking at given the following criteria:

1) Budget of $30k cash in hand

2) Would prefer twin engines*as there are huge distances between harbours where*one must be self reliant and not depend on the coast guard to reach you that same evening.

3) Would prefer something that cruises around 12-14knots

4) Something with a bit of a back cockpit for fishing, pulling crab and prawn traps.

5) Something that isn't going to scare the dickens out of the wife and family in a following sea to the point they don't even want to get back on the boat.**

6) Something with a good reputation for no structural issues.* I know that how a boat has been maintained has a lot to do with quality but since i have no way of knowing the full history on a 30 year old boat, I'd rather play the odds and go with a boat that is known to be 'bulletproof' from a structural point of view rather than one with a poor reputation that could be alright assuming previous owners maintained it well.* We all know what happens when you assume!

So far I've it looks like the Californian 34 fits the bill but I have found little on their construction quality.* Any others I should look at as well?

Is it even possible to meet all 6 criteria above?*

Thanks,

Stephen

RE: I've come to realise that I need a trawler - what should I look at on a tight budget?

Is it even possible to meet all 6 criteria above?

NOPE

RE: I've come to realise that I need a trawler - what should I look at on a tight budget?

If number 1 was a typo and 30k was really 300k. You should have no problem with the rest.

Something has to give.* The first thing is probably the speed requirement.

JohnP

Your main problem is that #1 and #6 are in conflict. You will not really find many "bulletproof" boats for $30k unless they are in need of a great deal of work. Thus, putting money into it that you don't have. Then you are right back where you started. There are certainly able to find deals now, but I'm with FF, you are going to have to rethink some of your priorities. Nobody finds the perfect boat.

Here is one in our marina that meets the criteria, but will need work to make her seaworthy again (been sitting unloved for a while), nor does it have the bulletproof street-cred you want.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=2299143&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=bearingmarinegroup&&ywo=bearingmarinegroup&

"Would prefer something that cruises around 12-14knots"

That's 15 to 30 gallons per hour , far far from trawler land.

Think Bertram, Hatteras or some other sport fish , plan on .5MPG and diesel rebuilds at about 1000 hours of flank speed running.

One of the Uniflites 32-34 ft with dual gas engines should fit the $30K purchase price , but the fuel bill will be 20-30GPH

Engines at least will be cheap $5-9K for Crusaiders instead of Yanmars at $25K each,

Read up some on boats this size , IF you can learn to love 6K or 8K or LESS!!!! , a trawler might work out.

2 Gallons per hour is lots easier to live with than 20,, even though you take 2X as long to get somewhere.

bearhair wrote:
If you believe the numbers, 12knot cruise burning 10gallons per hour.
*If you put off a purchase for a while, you'll be saving $40 an hour in fuel bills (let alone insurance, taxes, and berthage).* Shouldn't take too long to save many thousands of dollars that could be used to purchase*a boat with fewer compromises.* I easily saved something like $10,000 to $13,000*a year by putting off my boat purchase.

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 7th of May 2011 01:08:08 PM

Go to Boatdiesel and look up a poster ' Fighterpilot' ,do a search, (He also posted here.) who has been going through this same scenario and I think this may have been one of the boats he was considering. He looked at one with 3208N Cats @ 210 hp. I think that 12-13K was the top speed, not cruise. A realistic cruise would be 7-9K,
I think the boat is ok but he wants more speed so again something is going to give.

Look, look, look, and then do more looking.

Some of the older Tollycrafts and Uniflites should be considered although most are gas. They are a good boat if maintained and the Tollys, particularily, have a large following in B.C. & Wa.

Thanks for the honest replies fella's, both here and sent via pm. As I stated initially, I have no clue about trawlers and what makes/models are considered 'hyundai's', which are considered 'rolls royce', and which are somewhere in between. I know you get what you pay for and from the sounds of it, you can't get much under $50K.

Perhaps I'll wait a bit longer until after the spring/early summer rush to but a boat is over. I see alot of ads where guys are literally begging for any offer, even ridiculous ones.

I don't mind paying for a sound structure and engines and having to put in a lot of elbow grease and updating all the creature comforts and systems - that I have done before and can do again. I'm just no mechanic or shipwright.

One last kick at the can...

If I compromise on the the need for twin engines and go with a single, are the late 70's/early 80's Mainship 34's worth looking at. Seem to be quite common to find them with decent diesel engine hours under $50K. Worth looking into further??

bearhair wrote:
One last kick at the can...

If I compromise on the the need for twin engines and go with a single, are the late 70's/early 80's Mainship 34's worth looking at. Seem to be quite common to find them with decent diesel engine hours under $50K. Worth looking into further??

Yes.

bearhair wrote:
I have no clue about trawlers and what makes/models are considered 'hyundai's', which are considered 'rolls royce'
No matter what, is GENERALLY has far more to do with how they have been maintaned than who makes them. Sure, there are models that we all drool over, but we've ALL seen a Carver or a Bayliner that was taken care of that we would rather own than a Grand Banks or Marine Trader we would pass-over that have been neglected.

I would also spend a day or two at a hotel that is attached to a marina and do nothing but walk the docks and ask questions. You will soon find an outgoing person that will spen hours talking to you about what you REALLY need to know.

Tom-

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Saturday 7th of May 2011 07:48:14 PM

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Sunday 8th of May 2011 06:48:28 AM

"I know you get what you pay for and from the sounds of it, you can't get much under $50K."

Not if you still think 14K cruise is required.

Loads of boats that will happily run 7K for $25K and up.

Speed on a boat is really costly.

The biggest problem is the lack of cruisers BUILT for economical speed.

To go cheap the boat has to be light (fairly complex construction , expensive materials), long and skinny , 6-1 or better Length to beam (so docking costs are high ) and a very modern drive train.

Complex electronic fuel management for the diesel,, Controllable pitch prop (CPP $10-12K ) and perhaps a 2 speed tranny (ZF so $12K alone).

Since so few boats get over 200 hours of operation a year , most are willing to purchase a 3 story high ,short "Football" shaped with huge interior volume , and simply go slow (SL 1) for their 200 hours.

The savings in dock rent easily pay for the huge fuel burn should an hour or btwo of 14K be desired.

Being in Northern BC and Alaska you really need to take the cost of fuel into consideration! You mentioneded that you would be taking your family out on the boat as well, that means that they need to be dry and warm as well as reasonably comfortable. I think that a boat that might be worth looking at for you would be a CHB 34 or something like that. These are powered normally by a Ford Lehman Diesel 120, burning about 1.4-2 gph @ 6 knots. That's a long way from 12-14 knots but its cheap to operate! Other boats to look at might be Tolly's or Uniflight's in the*28-32 foot*range. These look like decent boat although they are not trawlers but could be run at low speed to save on fuel burn. There are tons of really nice Tolly's and Uniflight's in the PNW. You might notice that in your part of the country most of the fishermen run 40-42 foot trollers all over the water, these guys all run at hull speed. Might be worth your while to look at one of these old troller/fishing boats. Mostly wood boats, but they can be a work of art.

Rob Hays

Almost all this advice is great. You would broaden your horizons considerably by shopping in the lower mainland. Many boats for sale. The speed issue is a how far will you be going and how much fuel can you afford to go there. We can indicate how many GPH any given boat will burn and thusly a reasonably accurate prediction of the costs can be estimated. Then it's just a matter of do you have the bucks or not. If not then you'll arrive at the door labeled "compromise".

We love to go to Prince Rupert. We've stayed at the Yacht Club and the Public Floats. In the pic we're at the Public Floats****** ......rafting harbour. There we are w the yellow dinghy on top right in the middle of it all.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 181.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 181.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 63

Thanks for the great advice guys. yep, we've had a few conversations since posting this trying to figure out where to compromise. Really makes one think hard about the what the primary use of the boat will be.

I've seen a few really nice fishing boat conversions and have thought about it.

I guess we have to come to grips with what we really want to do and be 1000% comfortable with the compromises that will have to be made, primarily slow speed vs higher fuel costs.

I can see why you guys *groan*, but still politely respond when people, like me, hop on a ask same exact questions in same exact scenario,

Seems like I'm not only one who wants a rock-solid, 'bullet-proof', low gas burn, lots of space for under $50K ,,, HAH!
biggrin.gif

I am finding however, as you all (ya'll, whatever) said, droping the OC part, and looking at Coastal FRP boats, I'm finding a lot more options...

I'm checking out a 40' Californian, I saw it mentioned but didn't hear much follow-up, other than yeah decent boat...

Could you opine on this, please (twin turbo perkins, high bow, 3.5' draw, 12beam) and BEAUTIFUL classic looks, and priced right...)

download.spark

-- Edited by waterhawk on Wednesday 27th of July 2011 09:51:57 AM

-- Edited by waterhawk on Wednesday 27th of July 2011 09:54:49 AM

that is a nice coastal cruiser but you aren't going to cross oceans in it. Looks like someone cut the flybridge off that one though. ;)

That's better.
(but why did you dig up a 3-month old thread... there are lots of current threads dealing with this?) just askin'

GonzoF1 wrote:
That's better.
(but why did you dig up a 3-month old thread... there are lots of current threads dealing with this?) just askin'

UGGhh, are you kidding me??* maybe you guys roll different here... but usually get berated for not searching...

Are you saying old is bad or wthout value?
evileye.gif
no.gif

j.k., but I don't know, just found it in search and was relevant..

-- Edited by waterhawk on Wednesday 27th of July 2011 10:06:08 AM

Woodsong wrote:
that is a nice coastal cruiser but you aren't going to cross oceans in it. Looks like someone cut the flybridge off that one though. ;)
*I still want to do the OC, and will, but based on serious input don't think it's wise to roll it into what I want right now..

Not convinced yet, but exploring just getting and FRP Caribbean Cruiser class.

Yeah, he said they removed flybridge to transport from CA, never got put back on...

I just thought that since this wasn't specifically a thread of yours, and that you are participating in several of the other threads started bt Tony B and others, that is was a little strange to pull up one from the past. That's all. no biggie

GonzoF1 wrote:
I just thought that since this wasn't specifically a thread of yours, and that you are participating in several of the other threads started bt Tony B and others, that is was a little strange to pull up one from the past. That's all. no biggie
*I'm participating,, but since you notice :),,

I'm trying to backoff and let others respond in between, felt like i was dominating the conversations..

waterhawk wrote:I'm trying to backoff and let others respond in between, felt like i was dominating the conversations..
*All evidence to the contrary ;-) (sorry couldn't resist an easy zinger) :-D

I was going to give an award to Tony B for the most rapid-fire post count increase, but you are welcome to try and take that title from him if you like. "Have at it boaters."

bearhair wrote:
What should I look for on a tight budget?

More Money !!!

Tony B wrote:
More Money !!!
******* Absolutely correct!

GonzoF1 wrote:waterhawk wrote:I'm trying to backoff and let others respond in between, felt like i was dominating the conversations..
*All evidence to the contrary ;-) (sorry couldn't resist an easy zinger) :-D

I was going to give an award to Tony B for the most rapid-fire post count increase, but you are welcome to try and take that title from him if you like. "Have at it boaters."

*HAH!* yeah I know, I deserve that!

just get chatty, and like to talk, specially after that first glass of wine ...

"What should I look for on a tight budget?"

An unloved boat.

In the US that can mean Steel construction , which is not understood on this side of the pond.

Wood would be an option IF wood boats and NOT cruising is your hobby.

Fero cement , get real,

In GRP the best deal would be a larger boat with a smaller interior.
This would be out of favor as a dock queen as folks somehow think mere volume , a roomaran , is the thing to have.

The Tollycraft come to mind , well built , the interior is modest and old enough to find an unloved unit.

The best deals will require a bunch of sweat equity.

Refinishing an interior is tedious , but cheap .

Replacing ancient toys , noisemaker, AP, HW heater, FW system , head and waste storage , windlass are all not difficult IF YOU can do the work, and the upgrade is yours , and you didnt pay for old trash in the purchase price.

A boat that needed an engine replacement would be an entire different matter , as repowers frequently require some pro help (a crane for R&R as a minimum) it would hardly be a good novice choice,regardless of price.

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 28th of July 2011 04:42:14 AM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom