Rideau Waterway: A whale stuck in a lock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Rideau waterway locks are closed because of a whale stuck in a lock.

DBLMNm3VoAABfaB.jpg

L.

Lou anybody can see that pic is photoshopped.

Last edited:
Greetings,
The whale is actually NOT in the locks but in the turning basin ABOVE the locks...

Well, it does look as if the whale is turning.

Actually, I have been stuck in our (unmanned) marina access lock with a dolphin, but never a whale . The photo sensor for the pedestrian access gate over the lock malfunctioned, stranding the dolphin and our boat for a few hours until the maintenance guy arrived. He cleaned the sensor and released us both into the marina.

No photo's though so its probably not true, unlike Lou's story.

Wifey B: There was a whale in the Ballard Lock found near dead last year. :eek:

Greetings,
Mr. NW. Photo shopped? Just mislabeled. The whale is actually NOT in the locks but in the turning basin ABOVE the locks...

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.8958358,-76.0276317,3a,75y,270h,73.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOvNb0jfhXxm1YpaHL3BpG
g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That being cleared up I expect the Rideau Canal is STILL closed as a result. NOT a good place for a whale to be stuck.

To be serious for one post (only one I swear) sadly it still closed... well in fact they began to open some locks, but in the middle of the canal around Rideau lake but entrance at Kingston mills and Ottawa are still closed :nonono:
I choose to see it on the positive side, I will have more time to work on the boat, will check Monday if they open Ottawa.

L.

They must have done some serious dredging for that girl to get in! I won't be worrying about our draft when we run the Rideau. :rolleyes:

They must have done some serious dredging for that girl to get in! I won't be worrying about our draft when we run the Rideau. :rolleyes:

No, that IS the dredge. They throw a bucket of herring in at one end of the canal, and let the whale enter then opposite end. It plows through restoring the 5' controlling depth, eats the herring, then returns to the sea. It's a spring ritual, kind of like ground hog day.

No, that IS the dredge. They throw a bucket of herring in at one end of the canal, and let the whale enter then opposite end. It plows through restoring the 5' controlling depth, eats the herring, then returns to the sea. It's a spring ritual, kind of like ground hog day.

Thank you Mr TwistedTree I always wondered how they were controlling depth! :D

L.

I saw that whale riding up and down the Peterborough Lift Lock.:socool:

alternative fact?

Greetings,
Mr. 2d. I'm not sure what you're referring to with "alternative fact?" but perhaps it concerns the Big Chute marine railway. MY statement "...Would have been interesting..." concerns the capacity of the marine railway.

Given the max. tonnage the carriage can carry (100 short tons) and the average weight of a Humpback whale (44 short tons) the mechanism would not really be overtaxed UNLESS above mentioned whale started thrashing around potentially causing a de-railment.

Two bottles of Molson's and rub it's belly in Maple Syrup, and the marine railway goes smoothly. The inexpensive cotton mops from the dollar store seem to work the best.

RB

Back
Top Bottom