"Low Bridge, everybody down . . ."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blissboat

Guru
It's great to see that waterborne commerce has a pulse along the old Erie Canal, as this NUYT article explains:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/28/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

The opening photo of a massive Genesee beer brewing tank at first looked like a smart adaptive re-use of a solid rocket booster from NASA's space shuttle. Think of the naming possibilities!

I think there is a factual error in the article, though - the New York State Canal Corporation is a subsidiary of the New York State Thruway Authority, not the Power Authority. At least that's how things were when I last transited in 2015. Wikipedia agrees.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Thanks. That's a LOT of potential beer! It may have changed but as I understand it, there has to be at least one commercial passage a season through the Erie for it to continue to receive state subsidy as a commercial canal. Since northern NY is somewhat of an economically depressed area I suspect this brings much needed funds to settlements along the canal.

I haven't been on the Erie for at least 20 years but I recall NY state investing pretty big $$ into the canal to attract tourism and from what I hear, it's a nice tour.

Some time back someone said that maintaining the canal as a navigable waterway is mandated by the State's constitution. I haven't researched the veracity of that comment, but it would certainly explain why the canal remains open when by most measures it would have been closed 20-30 years ago.

I think there is a factual error in the article, though - the New York State Canal Corporation is a subsidiary of the New York State Thruway Authority, not the Power Authority. At least that's how things were when I last transited in 2015. Wikipedia agrees.

When I went through last August a couple of the lock tenders were talking about the change in ownership to the power authority. Sounded like it was imminent or done then.

The NYS Canal Corperation was transferred to the Power Authority last year.

We went through last year. Glad it was then instead of this year due to the high water this year.

We went through last year. Glad it was then instead of this year due to the high water this year.

Wifey B: We went through last year and it was a blast except for a day or so of cold cold cold. ;)

We had one bad lock last year on the Erie. The lockmaster refused to answer the VHF and the phone. Apparently he did this to all the boats. When we entered the lock it was literally full of debris and in trying to avoid a tree the current got us and set us into the bullnose pretty hard. They closed the canal for the day right after to let the water subside. Other than that it was wonderful.

We had one bad lock last year on the Erie. The lockmaster refused to answer the VHF and the phone. Apparently he did this to all the boats. When we entered the lock it was literally full of debris and in trying to avoid a tree the current got us and set us into the bullnose pretty hard. They closed the canal for the day right after to let the water subside. Other than that it was wonderful.

We didn't experience that. Guessing we were earlier than you as our trip through was during the first half of May.

We entered the Erie around the 22nd of May last year. We went from Virginia home to Michigan. Had a wondrful time with the exception of the one Erie lock.

We entered the Erie around the 22nd of May last year. We went from Virginia home to Michigan. Had a wondrful time with the exception of the one Erie lock.

We went from FLL to Pickwick Lake. Held up now for a year or two on the rivers before we head down to the Gulf.

"Low Bridge, everybody down . . ."

Erie canal is the only place I know where the towns are nicely spaced, great city dock/walls to tie up to, bike trails on the canal banks and the cost? $78.00. Includes dockage every night and in most cases electric power. Other spots only charge you $5 per day along the Erie.
Cruise all summer long for less than ONE NIGHTS DOCKAGE any where else.
Don't forget to fuel up at Winter Harbor. Last chance to dance.

In addition fees are waived fir 2017 as its the 200 yr anniversary

Are Erie fees waived this year? I know Trent Severn fees are waived this year. Although with the high water it will be jammed when it does open.

Are Erie fees waived this year? I know Trent Severn fees are waived this year. Although with the high water it will be jammed when it does open.

In recognition of the 200th anniversary of the start of Erie Canal construction – there are no tolls or fees for recreational vessels traveling the New York State Canal System in 2017.

That is great. I didn't realize that the Erie was free this year also.

Good to know. I was on the canal last week and i currently work 50 yards from it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Canal_Corporation

"The New York Power Authority has been financially responsible for the Canal Corporation since April 2016 and has owned it since January 1, 2017."

Helpful confirmation. Since I checked on 05-29, maybe the Wikipedia entry was updated - if so, it was no doubt corrected by an alert Trawler Forum member!

Also glad to know that the New York Times got its facts right in the first place. (Not that I necessarily trust Wikipedia over the NYT).

I am glad the Erie has not closed. We have made two trips on the Erie Canal and have done it from end to end. Many memories.

Also the only way to go east from Chicago without going through Canada.

(Note I enjoy going into Canada, there are some issues when traveling with a pet).

Will she make it under the bridge?

Barely!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom