What your "Trawler" says about you...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
Just a little humor for you enjoyment...
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 270
Made my laugh thanks, I'll be headed down to the 'yacht' better known as the ongoing and never ending project to work on it this soon today, after I finish the pre work in the garage. Can't say I ever thought of myself as rich.

Craig

Made my laugh thanks, I'll be headed down to the 'yacht' better known as the ongoing and never ending project to work on it this soon today, after I finish the pre work in the garage. Can't say I ever thought of myself as rich.

Craig

Yeah, I am rich in work I need to do on the boat too. And it seems everything I do on it is temporary.

Dang! I didn't know I was rich. Of course I only have 2 decks plus a bilge-so I must not be that rich:)

I believe nearly every person on TF is only experiencing 1st world lives. I call that being "rich" - enough!

Lol, the owner of that yacht misses the boating experience, for better or worse. My life has been spent in the doghouse diaries area...

RT you the man with a sense of humor I got the boat today and the dancing babes missed there stage call Damn!

If I tell folks I have a trawler, they ask "How's the shrimp running"?

Every non boater thinks all boaters are rich...

Yeah, but we all know better, don't we.

When people talk about my "yacht" I not-so-gently tell them that it's not a yacht, it's a boat. Then I tell them that my definition of a yacht is one where there is a paid crew, and my crew works for wine.

Get a grip guys.
Having a trawler says you are almost certianly an old man.

Yeah, but we all know better, don't we.

When people talk about my "yacht" I not-so-gently tell them that it's not a yacht, it's a boat. Then I tell them that my definition of a yacht is one where there is a paid crew, and my crew works for wine.

It is interesting how the language/ and languages change from area to area. We spend a lot of time boating with Brits and the common term for a pleasure boat is "yacht", no allusion to richness implied. It could reference a 28 foot day sailor or a 55 foot Nordy. The French frequently use a generic term for the same item, translated as pleasure boat, again no allusion to wealth.

We Americans frequently use "yacht" as a implication of a rich man's toy, and use "boat" as a shortening of "pleasure boat" as opposed to a navy submarine which is also a boat.

I guess if it mattered the Brits have it right, there is a class of boats used for pleasure (including non commercial fishing) which can be distinguished from other boats and they have a name for it, "yacht".

If I tell folks I have a trawler, they ask "How's the shrimp running"?

For me the experience is a bit different, when people know I own a boat the dialog is looking like that:
- How big its is?
- 30 feet
- what kind of boat it is?
- A trawler
- ?????

L.

For me the experience is a bit different, when people know I own a boat the dialog is looking like that:
- How big its is?
- 30 feet
- A trawler
- ?????

L.

On hearing I've a boat, the most frequent question is "do you fish?" When I answer "no" and it can't go faster than 8 statute miles an hour, they usually look at me as if I'm nuts.

- How big its is?
- 30 feet
- A trawler
- ?????

L.

I just tell them we have a trawler style coastal cruiser, and they all look knowing and say..."aah"...so I assume no further explanation needed, then they inevitably ask "how big", and I say 10.5 metres, or 34 odd feet, and it weights 11 tonnes. Then they say, "AAAHHH..!"

(That weight surprised even me, but was from the last haul-out. I thought about 9 tonne.)

Rich to me would be, having everything on the boat work as advertised all at once! I love when I have an issue with one thing then a week later that issue resolves itself and another pops up! ARRGH!!! HA HA

I never use the term trawler in reference to my own boat as here in Australia a trawler is a working boat catching either prawns or fish and that would be an insult to my friends that actually work their boats for a living.
I usually tell people I have a power boat that is a coastal cruiser and good for fishing the reef.

Well, not sure if the owner of that boat is "rich"; reason 1, he probably not a member of this forum community; 2, he probably doesn't get to run his boat; 3, the scale model of it his 10' enclosed case is probably see's him more than the floating one does . . . So if you have read this YOU are truly rich and blessed!

I never use the term trawler in reference to my own boat as here in Australia a trawler is a working boat catching either prawns or fish and that would be an insult to my friends that actually work their boats for a living.
I usually tell people I have a power boat that is a coastal cruiser and good for fishing the reef.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Being from a small fishing village in Scotland where trawlers are the predominant boats, I can't in good conscience call my boat a trawler. Cheoy Lee calls my boat model an "Efficient Motor Yacht" and so I do as well. Or motor yacht for short. MY Scot Free.

Now having said that, a converted trawler, say originally a Miller of Pittenweem, would be an awesome pleasure trawler you can take anywhere. If you can stand a minimum 7' draft. Now with EU fishing rules making the Scots season about three months to allow the Portuguese and Spanish fishermen access to the North Sea, the Scots will take their boats to offshore Namibia or South Africa for a six month season to pay the note. If the boats can make that trip half a world away, each and every year, you really have a traveling machine.

I just tell people that my boat is a "work in progress"!
I lost my "to do" list about a month ago, so sat down and drew up a new one.
Then I found the old one and was amused to see that it was very different from the original, and much longer.

Last edited:
GFC wrote, " . . . my crew works for wine."

As long as your crew doesn't actually whine.

Nomad Willy wrote, "Having a trawler says you are almost certianly an old man."

Could you speak up a little louder, please?

Thinking about it I guess that currently my trawler would says about me that I am not working fast enough :D

L.

Rich to me would be, having everything on the boat work as advertised all at once! I love when I have an issue with one thing then a week later that issue resolves itself and another pops up! ARRGH!!! HA HA

Talk about "pop ups"... I wholeheartedly concur!

Month and a half ago... I had twin screw engines heat exchangers rebuilt. Won't even begin to discern hassles that followed. Got it all straightened out and worked perfect this Memorial Day weekend. Windless seamed to give up the ghost a month ago. This past Wednesday I got that running again; was a master switch near the battery. The forward head flush motor stopped any action at all when switch was triggered... soon found that was corroded wire at batteries and it was back running. Sooo we went out of slip last Thursday morn... I figured most of what could be bothersome had run its course. Friday morn on the hook I hit the gen set and nothing but the slightest single click sound [knew I should have tried it just before leaving slip - gerrrr]. Checked its batt with multi meter - 11.3 volts. Luckily I always have isolated spare starter batt in its own black box and kept fully charged. I about 30 minutes and some contortions I had the gen set full at it again!

Yea!!! After that group of "pop ups'' finally got done screwing with me... rest of the week was R&R - smooth as can be!

Happy "Pop Up" Daze! - Art :D :speed boat:

Last edited:
I was never rich but poorer now that I own a boat. No one around here knows what a trawler is so I say I have a tug boat and they know what that is. Who cares?

There is always something to do when you own a boat. When I get everything taken care of I usually sell the boat and start over.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom