Alternator help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greatlaker221

Vessel Name
Tortuga
Vessel Make
Hershine 37
I had my original Motorola alternator rebuilt and the tachometer stopped working. Apparently it was wired wrong. A different shop is working to fix that. In the meantime I got out a new alternator from storage. It has a lot more connections that I do not understand P, L1, etc Can anyone tell me A. If I can use the new one on my lehman and B. Which of the connections would be used? The black and white goes to the tach, but which one is the tach on the new alternator. The first pic is the old alternator , the second is the old alternator installed, sorry the app inverted the pic. and the last is the new alternator.

Photo May 22, 12 26 53 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 20, 6 22 38 PM.jpg

Photo May 22, 12 26 58 PM.jpg

Before you go much further, is the pulley the same size and does it line up with other pulleys? Going online should get you the wiring diagram for the new unit.

First thing to check is that will mount up and belt will align if so most alternators pretty much need the same stuff to work. nomenclature may be different but typically there will be a B+ and B- terminal these are the positive (output) and ground should be #10 or larger wires. the S terminal is the sense terminal and goes to a VR. The tach drive is from a stator and could be named P, W, or something else. also you need and excitation voltage which is probably an I. Good luck and remember internet information is worth what you pay for it

Ok, E is ground, p is the tach out, l2 is lamp probably not used , the lug that the bus bar from s connects to is the output, the lug to the left of the s terminal is to the switched ignition...

Great! It would be nice if I can use this one. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom