Lets have some fun.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benthic2

Guru
So..... rich uncle dies...genie in a lamp...whatever.....you get a free boat between 30 and 50 feet....free dockage, maintenance and fuel as well. What's it going to be ??

a few rules

1. Has to be a production boat ( ie: no custom, one of a kind jobs )
2. Doesn't have to still be in production but shouldn't be rare collectors item that you've chosen just for the financial value of it.
3. You would have to get rid of your current boat. ( otherwise the choices will be non trawler like, and less interesting to everyone on a trawler forum)
4. No insulting someone else's choice.

Can it be "semi-custom." For instance, Nordhavn? Same with most new builds. So the hull is production but there is flexibility inside? Is it allowed to have tenders that are normal and standard on such a boat?

Wifey B: Watch hubby. He's about to cheat and say some very large boat with very sizable and fast tenders so he's sneaking in multiple boats. :rofl: Darn, wish it had been my idea. Next he'll be asking if it can have a chase boat. :ermm:

Maybe should say limited to crew of two and that will rule out non-trawler types.

Last edited:
I'll play nice and select a trawler type as if that was the requirement. A Fleming 78. It has the seaworthiness, the space, better than trawler speed as it will top 20 knots and at hull speed the range. It is disappointing that it only has a 3000 gallon fuel tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 117
One of the requirements was between 30 and 50 feet.

and the lexus is a one off concept boat....

stay in the channel people !!

Semi custom is fine...as long as its a regular production boat that gets individualized.

Last edited:
I was leaning towards the Nordhavn 47 until I started looking at the Kady Krogen 48.....not sure which way to ge just yet. While admitting total ignorance of the details of either boat...I get the idea that the Nordy would be more rugged and seaworthy, and the KK more refined and comfortable.

Last edited:
Branson Trawler 52 (with bilge keels and paravanes) would be nice Trawler | Branson Boat Design Dutch Barges but it's 2 feet too big.

Lucky for me that rich uncle wasn't a herd follower, wasn't afraid to think outside the box, and gave me Ghost, a 50' long range power trimaran; Ghost

The first 8 Flemings were 50'. Then they were stretched to 53' and finally 55'. I'll take one of those.

Ted

Greetings,
I'll keep the free dockage, fuel and maintenance and put the extra into a total rebuild, "to as new condition" of our present boat. She IS or was a production boat made from 1978 to 1982 (as far as I've been able to find out) and she IS between 30' and 50'. All I will admit is there are at least 2 TF members with the same vessel.

I'm impressed with that Florida Bay Coaster. Never touched one, but for 50 some feet, it looks like it would do the job.

That Branson trawlwer looks nice...I've never heard of them.

I have to veto the Ghost though...that looks like a one of a kind boat.

I know it's out of production now but a Nordhavn 46

Last edited:
Hinckley Talaria 48 Flybridge MKII

Hinckley-Yachts-Talaria-48-Flybridge-35-1280x585.jpg

It would have to be a Fleming 55. Since we are dreaming, this is my dream. As far as my dreams have gone, there never was a limitation...

Last edited:
Since this is a fantasy, I sell the "free" 50' boat I get and buy the larger boat I want.

Krogen 48. Probably a walk around.

Staying true to the OP's requirements, I would keep my Defever 50. But, you can pay my dockage and some upgrades, thank you very much.

If I was going to buy new, I would opt for either the North Pacific 49 or if I could fudge the rules a bit a Nordhavn 52 (they don't make the 47 anymore).

I know they are two very different boats. However, I have been so pleased with my NP43 that I would have no qualms about staying with North Pacific on their updated and larger versions. I also like their designs and layout better than the more expensive options that I'm familiar with in that size range.

That Hinkley is gorgeous....wow....and since someone else is paying for fuel...that just might be the winner for me.

One of the requirements was between 30 and 50 feet.

and the lexus is a one off concept boat....

stay in the channel people !!

Semi custom is fine...as long as its a regular production boat that gets individualized.

Sorry, didn't notice the 30-50'.

Ill stick with my Selene 47.....till next year, then its a 53 or 55 if the right one shows up on the market.
The right one will have stabilizers and AC, cuz we are heading south in the next few years.

So..... rich uncle dies...genie in a lamp...whatever.....you get a free boat between 30 and 50 feet....free dockage, maintenance and fuel as well. What's it going to be ??

Can't play. The specific feature we would probably want, and that we don't have now -- and without losing other features we already have -- doesn't seem to be architecturally possible in less than about 52' -- with 54-55 being more likely.

Too bad; wouldn't mind a free good boat... :)

-Chris

Last edited:
Alaskan 49
Yup this one also . A while back we were looking at one in Nashville . I know it's a woodie but I still want that boat . I'm always looking to see if it pops back up for sale .

a few rules

1. Has to be a production boat ( ie: no custom, one of a kind jobs )
2. Doesn't have to still be in production but shouldn't be rare collectors item that you've chosen just for the financial value of it.
3. You would have to get rid of your current boat. ( otherwise the choices will be non trawler like, and less interesting to everyone on a trawler forum)
4. No insulting someone else's choice.

You need to throw in free insurance and pump outs and I'll play. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom