USA East Coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigpoppop

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Long Time Dead
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 55
Good morning- we have been cruising in our trawler for a year, starting from SoCal, up to to Alaska then down to Panama to Colombia and DR and PR and T&C and now in Bahamas. We are trying to decide whether to continue the trip up the east coast to Maine (our original plan). Our draft is nearly 7 feet so ICW is not attractive. I've asked a number of people about the east coast and have received strong opinions to go AND not go.

If we do decide to continue north we'd have around 10 weeks starting 6/15.

Appreciate any advice or opinions.

Jeff

I'd go!
We are east coast cruisers who spend much of our time between Connecticut and Down East Maine. It is beautiful here...
It does get crowded but weekends are the worst and it is certainly not crowded enough to miss.
Bruce

The only people I can guess that say no to the East Coast probably live in compounds and have limited scopes of interest.

Its like people who say no to the west coast from here. Show them a picture of the inland passage on a beautiful day or Baja....and they yawn but get goose bumps at night time skyline shots of New York. Just who are these people?

Sure you cant get to many places on the ICW...but there are hundreds of great, interesting, and historic destinations that 7 feet of draft is no problem.

Cruising is exploring to a point...why not explore?

I would be ecstatic to be able to explore both coasts extensively...even if it took decades.

Last edited:
Draft will limit you somewhat but there are still many places to go and see.
e.g.
St. pete
Key West
Miami
Savannah
Charleston
Several places in the Chesapeake
Philadelphia
NYC
Nantucket
Boston
Many locations in Maine

these deeper water areas come quickly to mind. IMO only the short season limits you

Last edited:
There are sections of the ICW that you will want to avoid with a 7' draw at low tide. But with some planning around the tides, you could do almost all of it inside. Or do some portions offshore. Nothing to be afraid of. Well worth seeing.

No don't come up to Long Island sound it's way too crowded here!
LOL seriously I could name a dozen awesome anchoring holes without even looking at a chart where 7 ft is no issue.
If you head this way send me a pm and I'll offer all the local knowledge I have of eastern LI sound.
Happy cruising

Since you traveled the hardest parts already, why not take a nice leisurely cruise up the east coast!?
Chesapeake, Cape May NJ, New York City, North Shore of Long Island, Conn River, Block Island, Cuttyhunk, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Boston, P Town, Gloucester and tons of locations in Maine, Camden is our personal favorite and Northeast Harbor a close second.
GO!!!

With a Nordhaven 55, should be no problem taking the "outside" up the East Coast if ICW is not for you. Or a combination of taking "inside" and "outside". Once you get as far as Long Island Sound, a whole new world opens up. Long Island, NY, Conn, Block Island, Cutty hunk, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Cape Cod, Plymouth, Boston, P town, Gloucester, NH, Maine, Casco Bay and down east Maine. All these areas have great harbors with deep water and is the New England treasure that is a cruiser's dream in the summer months. To die for. If you need specific harbors, coves and marinas, just ask, there are numerous amazing places to see and enjoy. Don't miss New England! LOL, Dan

A lot of positive things have been said about the LI Sound area, and I agree. But for sheer beauty, nothing beats Maine. I have spent two summers there and can say with some certainty that Maine is the prettiest cruising area in the US (and maybe the planet).

I ran into a circumnavigator on his last leg home (to Iceland) in Northeast Harbor on Mt Desert Island near Bar Harbor in Maine. He said that he was blown away by Maine's beauty, rugged coastline, pristine anchorages and I might add plentiful mussels if you know where to look. And he was comparing it to some of the nicest places in the world.

If I were in the Bahamas now, I would head straight for Block Island, explore eastern LI Sound for a month and then get to Maine by July 1st and spend a couple of months there. You can make it to BI in 5 days straight through from Marsh Harbor which you obviously can do if you came from the west coast.

Your draft will be mostly irrelevant in LI Sound, Narragansett Bay, Cape Cod Bay and points NE.

David

There are lots of great places.

Many places are visited by ocean going ships and large fishing boats...no challenge at all for 7 foot draft....way more than the west coast south of Puget Sound.

read the thread of visiting Washington, DC via the Potomac, or Philadelphia via the Delaware.

I would be sad to think that if you have never spent any time in either looking into the USAs history and future...that these wouldn't be 2 great destinations.

Thanks very much for the feedback!

Greetings,
Mr. big. Why stop at Maine? Keep going north. Although I've never cruised the area by boat, I've visited by land and there is also LOTS to see on the Canadian east coast although you will have to contend with 45'+ tides in some locations as I understand...

Absolutely do it. The joy of a boat like yours is cruising varied areas. The East Coast is like nowhere you've yet been.

As to your draft, I'd recommend cruising much as we do and that is going from area to area on the outside and just doing short runs to destinations inside. However, following tides and charts you can really do fine inside, it's just not our choice. Check out areas in advance. Many of the areas are major ports and clearly have access for boats much larger than yours, with much deeper drafts. An example of planning is that there are areas of Georgia you definitely wouldn't want to cruise at low tide. However, tide varies by 8' so clearly high tide wouldn't be an issue. We've cruised the East Coast extensively with drafts up to 6'6" so not far from yours.

What kind of tender or dinghy do you have?

Our dinghy is a 12' inflatable center console with a 50 hp yamaha

Our dinghy is a 12' inflatable center console with a 50 hp yamaha

There will be some great opportunities to use it to explore as well in areas where your draft is too much. Not areas you must transit but off the path a bit and interesting. Savannah is the first example that comes to mind. We like to dock downtown and then take the RIB and go explore around all the islands in the river plus the National Wildlife Refuge.

I would definitely do it. It will round out and top off the great experience you have had so far.

I've got to hand it to you, Jeff, you started out totally green, and have really pulled off this trip, getting past all sorts of obstacles. It's great when people jump in with the commitment you have and make a dream come true.

Draft will limit you somewhat but there are still many places to go and see.
e.g.
St. pete
Key West
Miami
Savannah
Charleston
Several places in the Chesapeake
Philadelphia
NYC
Nantucket
Boston
Many locations in Maine

these deeper water areas come quickly to mind. IMO only the short season limits you

Beaufort/Morehead City, NC
Oriental, NC
New Bern, NC
Ocracoke, NC

Manteo is about the only restriction with your draft.

he hassle in Maine is some fog , and lots and lots and lots of lobster pots.

Daylight is required to avoid the lobster pot strings .

And the water is really cold for swimming.

Not ever having cruised on the East coast and since you have already done all that you have, there is NO WAY I would miss the opportunity! Do it!

I don't know who these people are but the East coast of North America is one of the best cruising grounds in the world. Go for it.

I am always amazed at the wealth of knowledge of the members here. Thanks to you all, I'm sure it is appreciated by all who read these posts.

Kind of like Apollo 8, 9, and 10. Fly all the way to the moon then not land on it.

Thanks everyone for the input- overwhelmingly in favor of continuing. Does it make sense to make a beeline from south Florida to a point further north? We could get a good push in Gulf Stream and get pretty far north in 4 days or so. Thanks again.

And miss the most boring part of the dich through Florida and Georgia? ��

I draw 6'6" and did the ICW from Miami to Norfolk. You need to work with the tides. However I recommend doing the north Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina outside for the majority. Many areas to duck into if needed.
I would suggest going, very interesting.
Safe cruising

Thanks everyone for the input- overwhelmingly in favor of continuing. Does it make sense to make a beeline from south Florida to a point further north? We could get a good push in Gulf Stream and get pretty far north in 4 days or so. Thanks again.

There are plenty of things to do and see every 100 miles or so...just depends on your schedule and likes.

Cape Canaveral and watch a rocket launch is well worth a detour....of course planning a launch is tricky....check spaceflightnow.com.

Cumberland Island, Ga is near wilderness with ruins of old mansions and wild horses and is next to Jekyll Island, Ga with its preserved taste of history and uber rich from centuries past.

Savannah, Ga has a nice waterfront too and downtown Charleston is almost on everyone's list to see and eat...along with passing Fort Sumter where the Civil War (possibly) started.

Look at every deepwater inlet along the coast and there is something to do and see....can't do it all...but there are memories to be made almost everywhere.

Like the one my friend snapped....(yes...real, wild stallions playing...or maybe fighting for love as we left quickly...:D)

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Go definitely. The east coast is the historic heart of the United States and there are many places which are fascinating. St. Augustine, Charleston, Savannah, Williamsburg, Newport, Boston are not to be missed. With your Nordy going outside when you are constrained by draft will not be a problem.

But do not stop at Maine. The Canadian Maritimes are a great cruising ground.

Since you will be going up and back you can do some locations while going north and others on the return keeping the warm season of for the northern sections of the trip. That also puts you further north during tropical storm season. Unfortunately it also puts you in the snow bird traffic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom