Preference for "Passing Away" [dying]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Preference for "Passing Away" [Where to Die]

• Pass Away on Water

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Pass Away on Land

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Preference for "Passing Away", i.e actually dying.

A Very Simple Poll:

Would you rather pass away [die] - On the Water or On Land?

I pick - WATER!!

How About You?

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa, not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Good question, Al

"Why isn't "Air" a choice? I feel repressed!

I vote land. I don't want my wife to have to back the boat into the slip without my guiding hand on hers.

Oh, you mean pop your clogs! Neither.

I want to be rid of my boat before I die.

I have seen the gigantic problems and costs associated with leaving an older boat, slowly falling into disrepair left to non boaters.

Plus hopefully I will live long enough to get to the point that full time cruising and maintaining will become too much.

On the water would be fine but not my trawler. Maybe in my 16' little river boat. Would like to think I'd already sold the trawler to some lucky couple. Actually, I'd prefer to fall overboard, drown quickly, and skip all the pain, suffering and modern medicine's postponing of the inevitable.

Ted

WOW! I didn't know we get to vote on things like this! I love this democracy thing!

I vote you ask me again when I am 85 and still in good health and have some wits about me....by then I might have an answer, :)

But IF I had to choose today....I would choose to live and thrill at the sunrise and spend the day on the water; have some rum, fall overboard and see what happens.

But I would rather have the next 25 years to consider these and many other issues.

A few years back a former business partner of mine took his elder father for a Father/Son trip for 10 days. Apon returning hi Father to the assisted living home, he said his good bye for the day. Dad walked in had a seat in the lobby, closed his eyes and passed.
Timing is everything.

I've got it planned out... long as I remain fit enough to pull it off. :facepalm: :D ;)

Die on the water is my choice of Goodbye! :dance:

1. Taint gonna fade away inside old age rest home! Seen too much of that. F that Sht. :nonono:

2. Plan to always have some sort of fair sized and comfortable pleasure boat up and running. :thumb:

3. Imagine I'll know [have a damn good idea anyway] when "my ball's past the plate"... for the last inning, that is!... regarding what my future holds for any worthwhile additional longevity. I do not want to stay around to simply become a burden [seen too many like that] :)

4. So here's da plan.......

a. Quietly go to boat, early in morning on calm day, and idle out to open water.

b. Write a nice goodbye letter and tape it onto salon steering wheel.

c. Activate EPIRB or similar and leave it on dash board.

d. Make one short radio contact with and succinct message to CG.

e. Put boat in idle and lock it in full right rudder with a bungee cord on wheel.

f. Sit on gunnel or transom or swim step with loaded 357 pistol.

g. Place anchor and short chain firmly onto an appendage with heavy duty snap tie. Pull trigger. Fall into water. Goodbye!! :hello:

No muss, no fuss, nothing to clean up [maybe a slight splatter or two - lol]. CG takes boat back in. I'd leave boat in good condition so family can have good luck during estate sale.

I'd be talken to the fishes! Similar to as my folks are doing for eternity in Penobscot Bay Maine. Only difference - no one need spread my ashes like we did theirs. What a macabre set of days that was after watching them wither away for months of pain and agony. I believe when it's time to die - It's Time To Die! - Get Er Done! When health and future-good lies ahead then it is time to live! When it's time to end... it is time to end, period!

On the water, Just wrap me with some spare rope and the spare anchor, then roll me over the side.

I have seen so many pretty well fit guys give up boating at 80 (age decided on before hand) or there abouts.

Sure there are a handful of others that can keep it going, but the vast majority are smart enough to know when to get out at the top of their game.

I have 2 close friends that once they had strokes (well less than 80), their wives either demanded a full time captain when they were moving or to get rid of the boat.

One got rid of it at 80, but for 3 summers, I felt like I was on full time call for every little thing that went wrong with their boat. The other just knew it was time to sell at the top, rather than the bottom. He only owned the boat 2 years, but finally got to do the ICW his way, one last time.

Like many threads here...romanticism...like stupid pirate flags.... abounds...

The reality is, once the risk management of your age and health says move on...it is very selfish to others that may have to pick up your pieces if the timing or the money issue isn't just right.

I too said with home health care, I can last a long time as a live aboard....

But at some point, for those with those romantic thoughts, you better set aside a boat load of money to take care of the boat, including all but a dumpster sale for some of us to protect the ones you leave behind.

Think back to those idiotic threads that posters here complaining about abandoned boats at marinas...how many do you think are about probate?

I have worked at several marinas where there have been boats for sale for decades, paying yard fees....plus cruising and talking with old timers as the old guys are my crowd at happy hour.

Think long and hard about that "romantic decision"....much like good wills...not much use thinking about them 10 minutes after being pronounced dead.

If you are still in shape enough...and not even 100%...to run your boat.... getting invited to go boating is never a problem if you are a nice old boater with tons of experience. again...make that transition wisely, not selfishly.

Last edited:
Choosing a place you prefer to be living as a local for where you die sounds very romantic. The old 'dying doing what you love'. Except things like dying at sea means my loving wife is stuck at sea with my dead body and a boat to navigate on her own. Like dying while making love sounds perfect, except she is the one stuck pinned down under my fat bloating corpse.

I prefer to think of others when it comes to these things. They're the ones left dealing with it. My selfish desires are irrelevant.

Seriously, why on earth would you want the body brought back to shore?

Weigh it down throw it over.

Choosing a place you prefer to be living as a local for where you die sounds very romantic. The old 'dying doing what you love'. Except things like dying at sea means my loving wife is stuck at sea with my dead body and a boat to navigate on her own. Like dying while making love sounds perfect, except she is the one stuck pinned down under my fat bloating corpse.

I prefer to think of others when it comes to these things. They're the ones left dealing with it. My selfish desires are irrelevant.

Guess you didn't read my post 15. :D

Land, because I know what would happen to the boat otherwise. There was a couple traveling near our marina years ago that anchored out in cove with their gas generator going...in July. The boat was at anchor for several days before someone checked on it. Tragedy for the couple and the boat, which ended up in our marina for a complete interior refit. So, yeah, on land so someone can throw me in a hole.

What's all this silly passing away or passed?

What's wrong w just died?

Bringing a body back is the smart thing as a quic autopsy is better than a dragging police investigation.

Many think they are going to be of sound mind despite the body failing with age.....

Seems these days the body alone, let alone medical science is keeping the body going as the mind is going....

way too much Hollywood in many thoughts being posted.

I think it's a bit much saying don't be selfish about how we want to go, if there's one area of life that should be up to each of us this is it.

I would feel triply strongly so wrt someone close to me, whatever floats your boat.

That is assuming that even a tiny percent of the times it might be appropriate, you have the chance for input....

I would guess statistically, that just isn't so.

It's not a bit much...that is why there is a huge business called estate planning.

Greetings,
Mr. ps. "...Many think they are going to be of sound mind..." HAH! We've met, remember and you make a statement like THAT? Oh, and by the way, you owe me a new keyboard 'cause I snarfed a mouthful of coffee all over it...

200w.gif

How about in bed with a hundred dollar an hour hooker ? ( hope my wife doesn't see this )

Bringing a body back is the smart thing as a quic autopsy is better than a dragging police investigation.

Many think they are going to be of sound mind despite the body failing with age.....

Seems these days the body alone, let alone medical science is keeping the body going as the mind is going....

way too much Hollywood in many thoughts being posted.

Old Jonathan Winters quote: "My Body's about... but, my mind bailed out"!

Why does it matter few of us will ever have a choice unless we are contemplating suicide and that only would come into the picture if you can't get out on the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom