metal john boat for dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
So...who uses a simple metal john boat for a dinghy? *We're not on a salt water, I'm not dealing with 12' seas, really just need something to take the dog/kids to shore and take the kids fishing, etc. * A lightweight little john boat less than the beam of our boat that weighs less than 100 lbs. seems like it would fit the bill and still be able to used on our weaver snap davits.

Something like this:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2510020405.html

We may just but a little center console bay boat for fishing and I could tow it behind us but a little john boat could work I guess.

Y'all Discuss.... *
biggrin.gif

Many of the tow boats around here carry one on the back deck, usually the model with a square bow and about 14' long. I often thought about one but the went ahead with a fiberglass Livingson. Salt water doesn't bother them much, my neighbors at the fishing camp in salt water are crabbers they have used them for years, an all welded model. I they are pretty noisy and have heard of FG hulls being scratched by them, you'd best look at some sort of soft rubrail you could add on if you go that route.
Steve W

I would be happy to stick with my RIB that we have now if I could ever get the 1-2 tiny pinhole leaks from leaking. It seems I can do a lot of things but patching a pinhole in a RIB inflatable does not seem to be one of them!! :)

I would go with the Aluminum boat . They come in all sizes, shapes and weights. Much more durable than the ubiquitous inflatable. Kid and dog proof. As Steve said, just address the rub rail issue and your set!

We have used aluminum boats as dinks since cruising in the Carib in the '60's.

Nothing is better at requiring no work ,or effort .

Most row quite well and are robust enough to handle surge at a loaded dink dock.

Our choice is for a Grumman 9 ft that rows and if you can find one sails quite well.

Dual oarlocks allow huge cargo or 2 persons rowinf if it is ever required

About 80 lbs so it simply gets yanked aboard.

WE carry one chained on the fore deck of our 90/90 as life boat .

And the tinyest outboard or electric motor is fine.

The canvas rub rail 3/4 round rail lasts the longest.

we had a small sail boat rafted up with us yesterday He towed a small starcaraft dinghy The bach of his boat was all beat up from the dink hitting his transom

Thanks for the comments. I am thinking if we went that route I'd have to add a big rub rail all around it so as to not scratch up my perfect looking trawler. :) First I shall make another last ditch effort to fix the one remaining leak on our dinghy that just does not want to be sealed....it's right at a seam and is just a thorn in my side....deflates in about 6-7 days. :)

Tony,

I think that's a really good idea. Maximum stability and capacity for minimum length. More than a Livingston to be sure but I don't agree w Fred at all about rowing well. Ther'e pigs to row as are ALL planing hulls and I've never seen a John Boat that was not a planing hull. Five hp and one person aboard will plane though. We have many many Lunds and other aluminum riveted skiffs here in Thorne Bay in the sea water almost all the time and seem to suffer very very little from it. Near perfect dinghy Tony.
biggrin.gif

Have you considered a Porta-Bote?

http://www.porta-bote.com/dimension.php

They're a little more expensive, but can be found used on Craigslist for around $700. http://boat.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/boat.cgi?cat=boa&itm=porta+bote

They come in 8.5-14 ft models, can be towed easily or pulled aboard, folded and stowed on the side deck. The 12 footer weighs 77 lbs.

I considered one when looking at dinghies, but went with the inflatable. Sometimes I wish I had gone with the porta-bote. They have been around for many years and seem to be nearly indestructible. Also, no worries about harming that perfect paint job since they're made of plastic.

I rode in one once and the floor flexes. At first it feels strange, but you get used to it quickly. The flexing absorbs the bumps and provides a very smooth ride in choppy waters. The ride is very dry and the boat is very stable laterally.

Here in Aus the Al dinghy is the preferred option by power boat cruisers.
They take a hard knock and don't mind being run up on the reef.
Crocks don't puncture them when they bite down. (RIB teething ring for a crock)

I have fitted AerOfloats to my 12 dinghy, makes it more stable and also for getting in and out of when free diving.
Will attach photo later.
Dinghy weighs 75 kg (165 lb) without motor.
I hoist mine up and down with motor attached.

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Monday 25th of July 2011 02:14:20 AM

Attachments

• edge tracker & floats.jpg
    edge tracker & floats.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 119
  • edge tracker.jpg
    edge tracker.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 130

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom