View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
34 LRC Motor Lifting Davit and Transom Mount

I've been pondering how to best handle my new-to-me 15 Merc 2-stroke OB that weighs in at 77 lbs/35kgs. I need to be able to transfer it easily and safely to and from the dink, so I've decided to install a Garhauer motor lifting davit in the cockpit of my Californian 34 LRC. The davit can be folded and stored in the lazarette when not in use. I will also install a fixed motor mount to store the OB on the transom during cruising season when it gets the lion's share of use.

My plan is to attach the fixed motor mount to the upper port transom corner, above the scupper shown in the pic below. There's a flip-to-open transom rail gate at the port corner of the transom, but the mount will not interfere with boardings. The rail gate can be opened to provide more clearance during the transfer of the motor to or from the cockpit.

The davit will mount in the cockpit at the vertical rail shown behind the net loop to the left of the F in FlyWright, just to stbd of the rail gate hinge. The 34 inch boom is just right from this location to pull the motor from the dink and place it on the mount. When the boom is moved to stbd, close to centerline, it will align well to assist in pulling the dink (or mermaids) aboard the swimstep.

Before I drill the first hole, I thought I'd seek the counsel of other 34 LRC owners who have traveled this road before me. It appears to me that the transom is solid FRP with no coring. CHC, didn't you drill yours for a mount? What does it look like in there?

Any and all words of advice and wisdom appreciated before I drill the first hole.
Attached Thumbnails
FlyWrightnet.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote