Why.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought I done that, long ago.

This site is about sharing experience and knowledge to help each other. Knowing the boat age and model does put comments in perspective especially comments regarding bought design and seaworthiness. Iv'e read comments like "I have no problem crossing from point A to Point B" or I would never take my boat from point A to Point B" or "my boat performs well in following seas or beam seas". Then of course the question is "what boat do you have", the profile may or may not tell you and you would have to ask. Just my thought and obvious you don't need to complete you profile if you don't want to.

This site is about sharing experience and knowledge to help each other. Knowing the boat age and model does put comments in perspective especially comments regarding bought design and seaworthiness. Iv'e read comments like "I have no problem crossing from point A to Point B" or I would never take my boat from point A to Point B" or "my boat performs well in following seas or beam seas". Then of course the question is "what boat do you have", the profile may or may not tell you and you would have to ask. Just my thought and obvious you don't need to complete you profile if you don't want to.

Wifey B: We don't list our boats. They're pretty much irrelevant. We have said what we're using as our loop boat. However, we don't own a trawler as such, we just do a lot of trawler things. We're very careful though to tailor advice to the boat the one asking owns. That's the important boat. If someone says they own a 12' rowboat and asks about crossing to the Bahamas, I'm going to say :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono: although we go to the Bahamas all the time. We may not own certain boats but know a lot about them. Hubby's more knowledgeable than me on different boats, but then there are things I'm the expert on. I do understand your point but responses do have to be based on the boat owned by the one asking.

Then much of what is discussed here is not at all boat dependent. One talks about how beautiful Vancouver is. Well, it's just as beautiful however you get there and every type boat goes there.

Then we might just happen to own a boat or boats totally irrelevant to discussions here. For instance, I like to go fast. :speed boat::speed boat::speed boat: I still want something faster. I don't know what though. But it needs to go more than 50 knots. :D

Wifey B: We don't list our boats. They're pretty much irrelevant. We have said what we're using as our loop boat. However, we don't own a trawler as such, we just do a lot of trawler things. We're very careful though to tailor advice to the boat the one asking owns. That's the important boat. If someone says they own a 12' rowboat and asks about crossing to the Bahamas, I'm going to say :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono: although we go to the Bahamas all the time. We may not own certain boats but know a lot about them. Hubby's more knowledgeable than me on different boats, but then there are things I'm the expert on. I do understand your point but responses do have to be based on the boat owned by the one asking.

Then much of what is discussed here is not at all boat dependent. One talks about how beautiful Vancouver is. Well, it's just as beautiful however you get there and every type boat goes there.

Then we might just happen to own a boat or boats totally irrelevant to discussions here. For instance, I like to go fast. :speed boat::speed boat::speed boat: I still want something faster. I don't know what though. But it needs to go more than 50 knots. :D

Appreciate all the responses, as s unexperienced boater I cannot debate with experienced boaters and am only trying to educate myself and still feel knowing the boat behind the response is helpful. Thanks to all, let's close this out. I'm good, forward I go. Kevin
ps I'm honored to get a response form wifeyb. My first.....I think

Why not?

I read with interest this thread, and about half-way through I started to wonder if I had the year of Encore listed in my profile. I clicked on a few links and found that I was one of the 'offenders'. I edited the profile to now reflect the year as well as the make and model of our trawler. (Fingers crossed that it will show up when I post this). I'm not ashamed of the year of our boat, I don't know why anyone would be, we're all quite fortunate to be able to 'simply mess around in boats'.

Appreciate all the responses, as s unexperienced boater I cannot debate with experienced boaters and am only trying to educate myself and still feel knowing the boat behind the response is helpful. Thanks to all, let's close this out. I'm good, forward I go. Kevin
ps I'm honored to get a response form wifeyb. My first.....I think

Wifey B: Ahhhhhhhhhhhh :)

I really don't want to put out too much information about my boat, the guy I stole it from might see it and come after me. [emoji16]

Lou

Too late, I'm not giving it back. :)

1977 hull #1 of an 8-9 year run of 238 Californian 34 LRCs. 40 year old, still going strong and proud of it! She's capable, reliable, cheap, and very well suited to my needs and desires. I think I'll keep her.

"Why don't members put the year, make and model of their boats in their profiles? I think it is helpful in putting their comments in perspective."

Because many have been boating for decades , 6 in my case.

Do you really need a list of every boat I have owned , built or rebuilt in 60 years to evaluate a posting?

What you get on any board is an opinion , decide for yourself if its valid.

We don't want or need every boat someone has owned - just the present one is fine. That's the only one that's reverent, FF... :D

OK -I'm satisfied the way things are.

LOL!!:banghead: Am I so very glad to hear this from you my friend:thumb:
And you know exactly why I am saying it!!! Now back to the topic at hand:rofl::rofl::rofl::lol::lol::D

For what it is worth, now my vessel model info reads like a mile long, or a sixth of an hour to cover it!!

May be the same reason you didn't list yours?

That is too funny.
Do as say not as I do.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

"We don't want or need every boat someone has owned - just the present one is fine. That's the only one that's reverent, FF... "

Really ?, folks ask about passage making , and our current boat is a Looper.

Does that mean past ocean experience is no longer valid?

Years as a contractor repairing & outfitting new boats is moot?

Experience allows one to have valid opinions , not the current ride.

LOL!!:banghead: Am I so very glad to hear this from you my friend:thumb:
And you know exactly why I am saying it!!! Now back to the topic at hand:rofl::rofl::rofl::lol::lol::D

Context bro - Context. Everything needs to be taken in context - :lol:

Appreciate all the responses, as s unexperienced boater I cannot debate with experienced boaters and am only trying to educate myself and still feel knowing the boat behind the response is helpful.

Our boat is pretty much like any other boat that looks similar to the one in our avatar. IOW, I think brand, model name, and production year is irrelevant to 95-98% of responses I might make here...

Might be some differences between Brand $$$$$ and Brand $$$... but generally that shows up in the quality of incorporated systems, maybe fit and finish, maybe some design issues.

Ref that first category, discussions are often about fixing or replacing the system in question... and that's maybe (or not) a discussion about Groco versus Buck Algonquin, or maybe Raritan vs. Jabsco... et cetera... i.e., not all that much to do with boat brand.

Ref design issues: Many of these can influence purchase, but I look at those more as individual "need, want, nice to have features" of boats we might choose... without particular regard to boat brand. An example might be stairs to the flying bridge. Several brands incorporate that design nowadays.

Just some thoughts...

-Chris

Lang yachts info I have a 1970 330

Lou - Thought I somehow recognized that hull as a Lang. Thing I could not get clear in my head was the superstructure design, aft cabin especially. Thanks for info.

Do you know where the guy who built your boat found the hull? Was it in Canada or Maine?

Back in 1950's / 60's "Ted Lang" yacht sales [not boat builders] was on Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, LI, NY. 1965 dad purchased a 38' sport fisher, raised deck boat off Ted's yard. We spent the next few years making it cherry and adding an enclosed salon as well as repowering with a Perkins diesel. That boat was a woody with keel laid 1951 at Brooklyn Navy Yard. She was a beauty!

Ted moved operations to near Rockland Maine in 1970. He began a BIG boat manufacturing plant. 26' to 70'. Mostly fiberglass and some large woodys. Economy fell on hard times. Ted suddenly closed shop and disappeared... with most of the equipment and some of the boats. I heard he showed up in Canada and started boat building again?? Then I heard in the 80's he'd closed Canada operations and started building again in the Carolinas or a state near by.

Yours is the only one of three Lang hulls/boats I've seen or heard of in years. I worked for Ted building fiberglass boats when first out of HS.

I’m looking for info on Lang’s and I’d love to find a 400 model

Attachments

• 2B40D641-5B31-4C9C-BE17-CF360947CD66.jpg
    2B40D641-5B31-4C9C-BE17-CF360947CD66.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 24

Best luck! I've no Idea where to look for a Lang boat. While in Maine Building boats Ted's boat company was "Maine Coast Shipyards".

You're one of the only two I found owning a Lang.
I am too wondering where these boats went.
Same for my engine, was made by a very well established boat engine manufacturer in Nova Scotia but was not able to find any. One was pointed to me for sale in a school that was using it as a demo for student but it was the 4-cyl not 6.

L

L

You're one of the only two I found owning a Lang.
I am too wondering where these boats went.
Same for my engine, was made by a very well established boat engine manufacturer in Nova Scotia but was not able to find any. One was pointed to me for sale in a school that was using it as a demo for student but it was the 4-cyl not 6.

L

L

You might contact the Audubon Society... maybe there are records of some surviving Lang boats.

Very early 1970's Ted Lang's Maine Coast Shipbuilding company had a contract to build Audubon boats. [I believe it was for 50 boats??]. Not sure if there were various lengths or not.

I worked on some in the 30' range, installing fuel tanks and interior portions as well as fastening rub rails as they came down the line.

You might contact the Audubon Society... maybe there are records of some surviving Lang boats.

Very early 1970's Ted Lang's Maine Coast Shipbuilding company had a contract to build Audubon boats. [I believe it was for 50 boats??]. Not sure if there were various lengths or not.

I worked on some in the 30' range, installing fuel tanks and interior portions as well as fastening rub rails as they came down the line.
You may have worked on my hull !!! :D

L

Ok I updated my profile, I also added my boat pic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom