Business is good, don't bother

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acheron2010

Vessel Name
Saoirse
Vessel Make
1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
Wow. Just got off the phone with a broker in Maryland who has three people lined up to look at a GB in the next few days, so don't bother to come and look I am too busy.
I did not think it was a sellers market, but I suppose some areas are hot.

Well kept boats that are priced well are always in high demand. Hesitant buyers often miss the boat. :)

Is he refusing to show you the boat? I would be a PO'd owner if I knew that.

I'll bet it was the same guy who kept telling me that last fall when I wanted to look at a GB Europa that he had listed in Annapolis. He would say don't bother....it's sold or three people are heading this way...or the seller won't take a penny less than x. Every time I looked on Yacht World after that the last deal had fallen apart and it was back on the market.

Sure sounds like the same MO. Idiot.

We are having the exact same problem with brokers, one day we were headed to Bradenton to look at a MS and as were pulling out of the drive way broker called to say his client was not negioable..another broker told us to call his guy ( and we called him) that shows the Ranger Tug which is right down the road from our house and they never called back. Another broker said he was too busy to show the boat and would be for a week. We sold our sailboat on Boat Trader in 2 days. Why would anyone use a broker! Seems to me they jump in the middle. We still want to buy a nice used Camano/ 32 Nordic at a reasonable price for both parties.

If you have enough prospects in the pipeline, one way to filter out the tirekickers, if someone's keen I bet they pay a premium to jump the queue

YachtWorld....BoatTrader

So listing on Yacht World is only available to brokers/dealers. And anyone can list on Boat Trader. Are these basically the two places to look online for larger boats? I guess there's always Craig's List too.

It would be interesting to know the percentages of people that are able to sell their boat themselves (without the use of a broker). And, consequently, how much more (or less) a seller nets by using a broker on average. Obviously there are statistics that brokers will throw out there, but its nearly impossible to truly know. And frankly, each case is unique, to some degree.

I also wonder how regional the differences are. For example, in some parts of the U.S., it's relatively easy to do a FSBO on your home and just hire an attorney to handle paperwork. In other areas it's very difficult because you just don't get the exposure you need without being on the MLS, etc.

Selling a home is a lot more transparent, you can actually look at comparable sales , you can look at the listing price and the actual sold price. Boat brokers act mysterious and I beleive they charge 10% commision. What I am discovering is that what boats are listed for is at times not anywhere near what they sell for. Boat Wizard is eye opening its the listing price and sold price for various boats. I still am unsure why people hire yacht brokers.

We sold 2 boats in the last year and a half by using Boat Trader. We bought one through a broker and had no trouble getting a broker to show us the boats we wanted to see.

Good quality, well maintained, used boats remain very much in demand. Poorly maintained boats struggle to sell.

"and as were pulling out of the drive way broker called to say his client was not negioable."

So what? Why would that stop an inspection?

Some folks put a price on the boat , and THAT is the price.

The concept that every boat in the world is overpriced is sort of strange.

I would live to find a Choy Lee 66 for $10,000 in great condition and would pay instantly , rather than offer $5K.

Could you have the broker put your ( sellers ) contact info on all adds so that if there is problems buyers can contact seller with what is happening. Broker has a contract so he is going to get paid no matter who sells the boat.

Boats usually sell fast when priced at their true market value. The problem is the owner is usually the least well informed person about his boat's true market value.

What you want for it, or what you need to get for it, is not the same as what it is worth.

"Broker has a contract so he is going to get paid no matter who sells the boat."

And regardless of the sales price , he gets his cut.

Most would prefer to sell every listing at 1/2 price IF it increased the turnover volume.

"Broker has a contract so he is going to get paid no matter who sells the boat."

And regardless of the sales price , he gets his cut.

Most would prefer to sell every listing at 1/2 price IF it increased the turnover volume.

Well, that's the point. Brokers want to sell boats, not just show them. I remember looking to buy back in 2009. We looked at several boats that were priced much higher than the identical one we ended up buying. Five years later, 3/4's of the boats we looked at, were still for sale, their owners presumably still explaining to prospective buyers why theirs was worth what they wanted for it.

Any object is only actually worth what someone will pay you for it.

We purchase things at the right price... or... we don't purchase.

It's really pretty simple. Just do not fall in love with inanimate objects till well after purchase. Then you can luv em all you want... but, don't shower too much cash on them. And, be ready to say a hardy good bye whenever separation is called for.

"We purchase things at the right price... or... we don't purchase. "

And the right price is NEVER the asking price?

"We purchase things at the right price... or... we don't purchase. "

And the right price is NEVER the asking price?

That is very often true... but not 100% true.

Point in fact.

I saw a cherry 1975 15' four seat, frp Crestliner with bimini top, its original 50 hp Johnson and orig. trailer for $1200. 250 hrs. total use. Had been on CL for less than couple hours. 120 miles away. I immediately called and told the guy I'd be there by 9 AM tomorrow. Having seen the photos and talking with the owner I felt that boat might be a real deal. Boy was I ever correct!

The guy was there; a great fellow! He took it and me to a near by launching location and we went for 40 minute cruise. IMO that boat was and after some 6 years of us using it as our tow behind runabout still is worth in the high two's to low three's.

He dropped it off at our marina and drove me back to his place so I could get my SUV. I did not once offer any lower because I could tell he was set on the price. Handed him 12 crisp $100 bills and offered him another $40 for taking time to do all he did for me to review the boat and then deliver it too. He refused any extra cash even when I offered it twice.

As I started my rig he told me that three persons had called soon after me last night. To each one he said that I was coming at 9AM the next day and driving over 100 miles. He also said the second caller had offered him $200 more than his asking price. He told me he felt he could trust me from our discussion and was glad that I had the boat.

Now, that is the perfect way to do business!! :thumb:

Attachments

• DSCN1954.jpg
    DSCN1954.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN1955.jpg
    DSCN1955.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN1959.jpg
    DSCN1959.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN1961.jpg
    DSCN1961.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 134
Nice story, and nice boat.

"broker in Maryland who has three people lined up to look at a GB in the next few days, so don't bother to come and look I am too busy."

A better more on the ball broker would have shown the boat to all comers and taken bids .

He might have only netted another few extra grand ,

but when word got out of his effort I think the listings would come pouring in from sellers.

But for a broker optimising their commission income per hour actually working, rather than trying for maximum total income, perfectly rational.

Most profits are based on customers/clients' imperfect information.

so now I am not sure how to go about it. I am physically in Tennessee, and it is an expense and commitment to make a multi-day trip to Maryland or Florida to look at potential boats. Putting my animals at the vet, driving 5-600 miles, overnight hotels, I am a few hundred bucks out of pocket before I step through the door.
Is it better to attempt to establish a relationship with one broker in each area, or just show up at each brokerage firm and hope for the best? So far, two phone calls is not a very positive experience.

I believe the internet has given lots of power back to the sellers and buyers. An honest broker can negotiate a contract before signing. The PO of my boat had a hand made for sale sign, and a written list of details taped to a window. That broker made nothing cause he didn't work to sell it.

so now I am not sure how to go about it. I am physically in Tennessee, and it is an expense and commitment to make a multi-day trip to Maryland or Florida to look at potential boats. Putting my animals at the vet, driving 5-600 miles, overnight hotels, I am a few hundred bucks out of pocket before I step through the door.
Is it better to attempt to establish a relationship with one broker in each area, or just show up at each brokerage firm and hope for the best? So far, two phone calls is not a very positive experience.

None of my business but why travel? And if so why to the coast?

The Tennessee river is full of beautiful boats that are freshwater kept in covered berths. The Great Lakes just to the northwest. Coastal dwellers pay huge premiums to ship well found inland boats to the coast.

Yachtworld is a blessing and a bane. So many boats so far away. I personally drove from darn near Mexico to Canada and after spending a year and several grand traveling bought a boat at my local marina. Lesson learned, shop local unless you know precisely what you want.

Just for gits and shiggles I did an advanced yachtworld search for powerboats in Tennessee only. Just under 1,000

IMG_1240.jpg

None of my business but why travel? And if so why to the coast?

Have not seen any Grand Banks Europas, Beneteau Swift Trawlers, Nordic Tugs, American Tugs, or Bayliner 4788's on the Tennessee River or Norris Lake, sorry.

Enjoy your travel or sit down with a local broker. A phone call to Curtis Stokes, Blake Davis or Mark Bowerman would be educational for you.

Tip: more boats than you can imagine never list on yachtworld.

That is very often true... but not 100% true.

Point in fact.

I saw a cherry 1975 15' four seat, frp Crestliner with bimini top, its original 50 hp Johnson and orig. trailer for $1200. 250 hrs. total use. Had been on CL for less than couple hours. 120 miles away. I immediately called and told the guy I'd be there by 9 AM tomorrow. Having seen the photos and talking with the owner I felt that boat might be a real deal. Boy was I ever correct!

The guy was there; a great fellow! He took it and me to a near by launching location and we went for 40 minute cruise. IMO that boat was and after some 6 years of us using it as our tow behind runabout still is worth in the high two's to low three's.

He dropped it off at our marina and drove me back to his place so I could get my SUV. I did not once offer any lower because I could tell he was set on the price. Handed him 12 crisp $100 bills and offered him another $40 for taking time to do all he did for me to review the boat and then deliver it too. He refused any extra cash even when I offered it twice.

As I started my rig he told me that three persons had called soon after me last night. To each one he said that I was coming at 9AM the next day and driving over 100 miles. He also said the second caller had offered him $200 more than his asking price. He told me he felt he could trust me from our discussion and was glad that I had the boat.

Now, that is the perfect way to do business!! :thumb:

GREAT STORY, and yes, the right way to buy a boat. I did similar last week with a nice Hobie kayak that I wanted. I knew it would sell at the asking price, so it was my intention to just go buy it, but was Sunday and didn't have the cash.

I went over looked at it, and it had two minor issues, both fixable ($100), so I asked the seller what he would take if I made a commitment with a $500 cash deposit. We settled for $2650. I brought the cash over the next day and both of us were happy. Now I have to sell my old one.....

Enjoy your travel or sit down with a local broker. A phone call to Curtis Stokes, Blake Davis or Mark Bowerman would be educational for you.

Tip: more boats than you can imagine never list on yachtworld.

Craigslist can work wonders; for selling and/or buying.

For big items... I've found that not only is CL good for local use but also for not so local use. In that.... checking on items such as boats within a couple hundred miles gives a great selection.

If a boat [or car/truck] buyer is really serious it is necessary to check CL twice per day. Then, any new seller listings will usually be in the top page or two. Takes only a few minutes to scroll through. Easy to check your area as well as areas in 200 mile radius.

For smaller items that ship easily CL global arena is open for review.

An important thing about finding any type of "used" item to purchase... is that... it is extremely important you are the first contact to the seller and that you quickly get to the seller's product location for review and potentially an immediate purchase. Reason for this paragraph: When there is a great deal it will disappear in hours or a day or so. And, First Come - First Served! :thumb:

Happy "Seek n' Purchase" Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Back
Top Bottom